Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 International politics (China, Russia, UK, etc.) 
now we know

Post Re: International politics (China, Russia, UK, etc.)
Russian state media has announced the preliminary results with about a fifth of votes counted:

• 97% in Kherson region
  • 98% in Zaporizhzhia
  • 98% in “Donetsk People’s Republic”
  • 98% in “Luhansk People’s Republic”

:puke:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wonder how long it took them to decide to give a 97%. Probably needed Putin's approval there. All 98% would look suspicious, after all. :roll:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Corpse wrote:
I wonder how long it took them to decide to give a 97%. Probably needed Putin's approval there. All 98% would look suspicious, after all. :roll:

I can’t say the joke, I want to, but I’m not that cruel.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:58 am
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Imo best thing that can happen now is peace negotiation based on letting Russia have its annexed territories instead of risking WWIII just to get back areas that don't even want to be part of Ukraine, but pride comes before the fall.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 am
now we know

Who said they don't want to be part of Ukraine? You're not basing that on the recent referenda, are you?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Who said they don't want to be part of Ukraine? You're not basing that on the recent referenda, are you?

Whether the vote numbers they released is real is unclear, but my impression is they are legitimately Russian supporting areas

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:10 am
now we know

It's up to Ukraine what they want to do, but I know Putin will not stop if given these regions on a platter. The rest of Ukraine, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, why the hell not? Nobody's stopping him. He can always fabricate a reason to invade. Georgia, for example, has large portions of Russian speakers.

World War III will be catastrophic. But appeasement does not work with tyrants. Freedom needs to be earned. The world needs reminding every so often the price that is paid for free societies. If it isn't, your lands will be speaking Russian or Chinese in a hundred years.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
It's up to Ukraine what they want to do, but I know Putin will not stop if given these regions on a platter. The rest of Ukraine, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, why the hell not? Nobody's stopping him. He can always fabricate a reason to invade. Georgia, for example, has large portions of Russian speakers.

I think Putin can't go full Hitler/Napolean because Russia does not have the financial means or military build up to try to take over Europe. I think Russia doesn't even have a top 10 biggest economy. To even take over and hold all of Ukraine it would take a lot of effort to occupy the country and run it for them etc.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:24 am

Algren is correct. Appeasement led to WWII anyways. This is obviously a staged election.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:25 am
now we know

Shack wrote:
I think Putin can't go full Hitler/Napolean because Russia does not have the financial means or military build up to try to take over Europe. I think Russia doesn't even have a top 10 biggest economy. To even take over and hold all of Ukraine it would take a lot of effort to occupy the country and run it for them etc.

That's why it is trying to get China as a war partner for a new axis of evil. But China is being typically non-committal at the moment, always loyal behind the scenes but innocent in public. China is so dumb if they think the world doesn't know what they're doing. Russia has already urged China to make the next move in their New World Order against the west. Russia's already said to China that they have taken the first step, now China needs to show their dedication to the grand plan.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:34 am
Profile WWW

WWIII seems very possibly right now if we don’t take the stand against Russia

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am
Devil's Advocate

IMO

Russia = wants the whole USSR back
China = wants to overtake US for #1 economy

I don't think these are worth starting nuclear war over. Russia trying to take over these countries is unfortunate but nations losing and regaining territory has been happening for thousands of years and as mentioned, it's unlikely he can pull it off, the only thing he can really do is take the parts that like Russia, to take over the ones that don't like them like western Ukraine and replace their governments and police force and all against an angry unwilling population would be much more difficult.

China is smart enough to realize you don't kill the US empire by fighting them head on with military, you kill them by putting arsenic in their drink. The USSR had the same strategy where they knew they were no match militarily so they became masters of subversion.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:08 pm

You might be right about China, but Germany started WWII for pretty much the same reason as what you claim Russia does not want to go to WWIII for

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

Aside from the Nazis being a racist cult and not really that comparable sanity wise, they had a force strong enough to conquer the great France in a month while Russia is jammed in Eastern Ukraine 7th months in.

There aren't many direct comparables in 1900s to now Europe for the war ending and Putin taking some land, but it's a small sample size, and it not being the situation back then doesn't necessarily mean it's the same now. I think pre 1900s might have some more wars like that.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

This can't be a kick-the-can-down-the-road situation this time. They international community has already done that with Putin, and look what's happening now. He came back for more, unsurprisingly, because that's how people like him behave if they go unconfronted. If someone thinks they can get away with something, they just keep doing it. If he's allowed to take even more of what's not his, he's going to do it again.

Putin needs a strong, clear, and unified international response declaring that he can't decide to have land that is not his.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:11 pm
Profile WWW

Corpse wrote:
This can't be a kick-the-can-down-the-road situation this time. They international community has already done that with Putin, and look what's happening now. He came back for more, unsurprisingly, because that's how people like him behave if they go unconfronted. If someone thinks they can get away with something, they just keep doing it. If he's allowed to take even more of what's not his, he's going to do it again.

Putin needs a strong, clear, and unified international response declaring that he can't decide to have land that is not his.

And so far, that is what he is getting, which is arguably the strongest aspect of the Biden administration thus far and clearly why Russia wanted a Trump or a Bernie type in power over the US.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:07 pm
now we know

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Spain will probably be next with some leader compared to Franco

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:24 am
now we know

I also feel the "far-right" is more or less just conservative these days. It's being used as a scare tactic by the left, but it just means conservative. Meloni seems like a an old-fashioned conservative, but she was touted as a far-right Nazi.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It’s complicated in the sense that Trump is in reality less conservative than Pence and every other Republican president in history, and his policies while more national are not really that extreme, but the far right attached to him refers to the more conspiratoral anti globalist nature, which Meloni has some as well. It should probably be called something else, but the left likes using far right for the same reason they call everyone they don’t like fascist.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:29 am
now we know

A Russian missile strike killed 30 people in the region of Zaporizhzhia yesterday, which Russia has declared is now their territory. So Russia are killing their own people, lol. That's how absurd and contradictory Russia is. And these people were civilians.

The truth is that it was never about people. Never about ethnic Russians or de-Nazification. It was always about growing the geography of Russia, or in other words, bringing back the Soviet Union. That's why Putin is so eager to use nuclear weapons, because he couldn't give a toss if all Ukrainians are wiped out (or Russian soldiers for that matter) as long as their land belongs to Russia.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Looks like Ukraine had a victory in Liman and forced another retreat, though the pro Russia accounts are claiming Ukraine took a lot of casualties just to take one town.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:38 am
Devil's Advocate

I hope our generation isn't like the people born in 1880s or so who lived the first 20-30 years of their life going "Whew, life is great! I'm glad we don't have to fight wars like our parents did. Have you seen the new Renoir?" and then had shit completely hit the fan, which it could for us either through direct war or financial ruin. On one hand I wish I was born a little bit earlier to get to live as an adult through excellent decades for human race like 80s and 90s, on the other hand I'm glad I was born early enough to get on the gravy train in 00s and 10s, instead of being the kids who were wearing covid masks in grade school and surrounded by people desperately trying to control their brain one way or the other. I suspect they will never know what it was once like during the sane years.

Ultimately human beings can only be on the gravy train so long before they get lose sight of the past and become ungrateful and let in the power hungry/stupid, or their defenses become soft enough for the predators to feed on them. Hence why someone wrote a book in 1992 called The End of History about how the interesting things were done with, but I believe someone could have written the same thing in 1890s, and probably did. They had no way of knowing that they, considering themselves the most smartest and most cultured generation in history up to that point, could end up becoming so dumb as to fight a mostly pointless great war and then be played like a fiddle by these dictators.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:21 pm
The Dark Knight

“Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." - George Orwell

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:45 am
Devil's Advocate

Bolsonaro did better than polls and will advance to run-off, though presumably would still be underdog

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next