Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 State of the Union Discussion 
Powered By Hate

Post Re: State of the Union Discussion
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
They could just go to the state level and gerrymander blacks and hispanics out of existence, as well as continue to encourage low voter turnout. That's why Texas is 45% white but a deep red state.

Red in the sense of its House delegation? Because I don't see what gerrymandering has to do with Presidential or Senatorial elections.

Did you miss the "encourage low voter turnout" part?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
They could just go to the state level and gerrymander blacks and hispanics out of existence, as well as continue to encourage low voter turnout. That's why Texas is 45% white but a deep red state.

Red in the sense of its House delegation? Because I don't see what gerrymandering has to do with Presidential or Senatorial elections.

Yes, and? You were positing two separate reasons why Republican's keep control of certain states. How does one encourage low voter turnout and even if it is possible, what is wrong with doing that? Would you like to encourage lower voter turnout amongst ultraconservative evangelical types? I suspect you would, without doing actual suppression, and I think that is perfectly fair.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well in the end if you have a solid candidate that is appealing he can win almost anywhere.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Yes, and? You were positing two separate reasons why Republican's keep control of certain states. How does one encourage low voter turnout and even if it is possible, what is wrong with doing that? Would you like to encourage lower voter turnout amongst ultraconservative evangelical types? I suspect you would, without doing actual suppression, and I think that is perfectly fair.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... s-20111003

In addition to gerrymandering to divide districts in politically convenient ways (which in turn demoralizes voters who realize their district has been divided to re-elect the incumbent politician) we've already seen a coordinated effort to suppress certain demographics from voting. The calls to protect from voter fraud have been shown to be a ruse to keep minorities, young, and the elderly from being allowed to vote in the first place. I'm sure I don't need to explain how that is unfair and stifles democracy.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 am
Powered By Hate

Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:

No, I wouldn't. I would actually be in favor of compulsory voting because my moral hypocrisy apparently doesn't run as deep as yours. Low voter turnout is the death of representative democracy and the death of American civic and social society.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm
Powered By Hate

Seriously, did you miss out on the Texas gerrymandering clusterfuck from a couple of years ago?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Tyler wrote:
Seriously, did you miss out on the Texas gerrymandering clusterfuck from a couple of years ago?

You mean where the Democratic Party members fled to a different state? Yes and it was not the death of democracy in Texas.

I am no moral hypocrite. I may be immoral as far as your view is concerned, but I do not see the hypocrisy angle. I think it perfectly fine for both parties to gerrymander and encourage low voter turnout.

Compulsory voting strikes me as fascistic and anti-democratic. What would your view be in places where there are runoff elections and two conservatives are the only two remaining that are running for a position? Must a liberal then vote for a candidate that they loathe or face jail time or a fine? Poor people disproportionately have lower voter turnout and minorities are disproportionately poor. If you elect to go the fine route, it would seem to me to me that you are basically setting-up a tax on folks who could least afford it. These folks are no doubt the meant to be the intended beneficiaries of your proposed law.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

I was giving you perhaps too much credit, then. No, I think it is the duty of every citizen to vote, and it is a hideous corruption of democracy (and profoundly UNdemocratic) to discourage people to engage in it. Civic engagement is in serious decline and it is a serious hazard to community health. When there is no faith or investment into a democracy, it is going rotten.

What would you have preferred the Ds do to stall DeLay? I never said this turned the state into an authoritarian place, but it certainly revealed a disturbing amount of corruption, though one that is not limited to Texas at all. And not just in gerrymandering, either.

Fascistic? Is there no end, then, to voter turnout to decline in that case?

It's called community service.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:40 pm
Extraordinary

It amazes me that we put so many restrictions on voting. Instead we should be doing everything possible to encourage it.

I wish more places would allow mail-in voting and open the polls for a week instead of just a day and otherwise make it easier to people to participate.

Isn't that what democracy is all about? Why is it instead treated like some sort of game where if you don't follow the exact restrictive rules set up, you can't play?

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Because we've established in this very thread that some folks would prefer to intentionally suppress and demoralize citizens to fit their political persuasion.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:16 pm

MovieDude wrote:
Because we've established in this very thread that some folks would prefer to intentionally suppress and demoralize citizens to fit their political persuasion.

I am just being honest, unlike some folks here. As long as there is no violence or coercion or property destruction, I find nothing wrong with discouraging people from voting. This is part of living in a free society and having freedom of speech, which some people, in the name of not discouraging voting, are willing to suppress.

If a fat cat Wall Street corporate pig in a BMW drove through a poor area of town with a sign that said "Vote for Obama: The election is the first Wednesday after the first Monday of November." Well, I would have no problem with that. If the same person slashed people tires so that they could not go to the polling place, then I would have a problem with that.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
It amazes me that we put so many restrictions on voting. Instead we should be doing everything possible to encourage it.

I wish more places would allow mail-in voting and open the polls for a week instead of just a day and otherwise make it easier to people to participate.

Isn't that what democracy is all about? Why is it instead treated like some sort of game where if you don't follow the exact restrictive rules set up, you can't play?

I would like to see either the voting day changed to Saturday or make it a true national holiday and make places close for people to vote. Saturday to me is a better option. Countries like France and other European nations do this and they have a 80% turnout. They also have no compulsory voting in those nations.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Caius wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

I am just being honest, unlike some folks here. As long as there is no violence or coercion or property destruction, I find nothing wrong with discouraging people from voting. This is part of living in a free society and having freedom of speech, which some people, in the name of not discouraging voting, are willing to suppress.

If a fat cat Wall Street corporate pig in a BMW drove through a poor area of town with a sign that said "Vote for Obama: The election is the first Wednesday after the first Monday of November." Well, I would have no problem with that. If the same person slashed people tires so that they could not go to the polling place, then I would have a problem with that.

You have got to be kidding me. "I am the only honest person here!"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

You have got to be kidding me. "I am the only honest person here!"

Actually the quote is "I am just being honest, unlike some folks here." So technically, you are being dishonest in that post.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm