Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Question for republicans 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Question for republicans
Eagle wrote:
I would say because otherwise you are letting government trivialize a religious sacrament. And while I don't agree with everything that sacrament entitles, I don't think government really should be able to just modify it in any way it wants?

I just think the above is a better solution.

But the government has been modifying marriage, well, forever.

If the government had never been allowed to regulate marriage and had kept out of it, then:

1. Mormons would still be able to have multiple wives;

2. Women would still be treated as property of their husband (very traditional, and in the Bible, too);

3. People of different races would not be able to get married to each other;

4. People would be able to marry kids as young as 12.

The government defines marriage, not religion. The fact that some religions may perform them does not give the religion the right to define what it is. They can refuse to perform them if they disagree, but we are a nation of laws, not religions. Religions don't have freedom to decide for the rest of us what we will do.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

You're probably right, and realistically, what I suggest has 0 chance of happening.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Eagle wrote:
You're probably right, and realistically, what I suggest has 0 chance of happening.

The future will have gay marriage. It's already a fact in many countries and in a few states (where, surprisingly to many Christians, the world has not ended).

Might as well get used to it! ;)

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I totally agree, it's only a matter of time. Just feel bad for those who have to wait.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Beeblebrox wrote:
Groucho wrote:
KidRock69x wrote:
What civil right has a Republican ever denied to a gay? If you mean marriage, gays are allowed to marry, just like all American's that meet age requirements and just like all American's, they are not allowed to marry people of the same sex.

:lol:

Don't you ever feel, you know, silly for making these kinds of arguments? I mean, you can't really believe this, can you?

This would be the guy that accused you of "moving the goal posts" in a discussion about Iraq and once accused Obama of "war-mongering." Republicans lack an irony gene.

If you go read my post regarding that statement, I even mention I was trying to be ironic, dick head.

KidRock69x wrote:

As to the War Monger statement, it was clearly sarcasm (duh, coming from me). Still, I would like to see Obama apply the same logic to Iran, which is a growing threat.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, let's go to the tape:

What civil right has a Republican ever denied to a gay? If you mean marriage, gays are allowed to marry, just like all American's that meet age requirements and just like all American's, they are not allowed to marry people of the same sex.

That is the entirety of the message. I didn't leave anything out.

Please educate me: Where is the irony?

And as to this comment:

If you go read my post regarding that statement, I even mention I was trying to be ironic, dick head.

What post? There has been no post from you since the original one. Or did you think no one would check?

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Groucho wrote:
Eagle wrote:
I would say because otherwise you are letting government trivialize a religious sacrament. And while I don't agree with everything that sacrament entitles, I don't think government really should be able to just modify it in any way it wants?

I just think the above is a better solution.

But the government has been modifying marriage, well, forever.

If the government had never been allowed to regulate marriage and had kept out of it, then:

1. Mormons would still be able to have multiple wives;

2. Women would still be treated as property of their husband (very traditional, and in the Bible, too);

3. People of different races would not be able to get married to each other;

4. People would be able to marry kids as young as 12.

The government defines marriage, not religion. The fact that some religions may perform them does not give the religion the right to define what it is. They can refuse to perform them if they disagree, but we are a nation of laws, not religions. Religions don't have freedom to decide for the rest of us what we will do.

I see Eagle's point. And agree on it! Just not...exactly.

My view is that people should be able to do whatever they want. Marry whoever they want (no matter the persons gender, race, etc.), be whatever they want to be career wise (while some may say everyone can do this, it's not entirely true and and FAR too difficult to acheive), read/watch/listen to whatever they want, and so on. But there needs to be basic laws set in place first. One being for marriage. I think anyone should be allowed to marry whoever they want, no matter gender, age, race, etc. Of course, a 50 year old man marring a 15 year old girl wouldn't happen, and it's where the basic laws come into play setting simple age requirements. 16 is a good age, in my opinion. So that would be apart of Law 1 in this case. Law 2 would be something saying no amount of people (1 or more) can decide who their kids or whoever marry. That decision can only be made between the couple. Now with religion. If a religion someone believes says marriage is only allowed between a man and woman, then let them marry only those of the opposite sex. But if another religion says that only two people of the same-sex are allowed to marry, then let them marry the same sex. Etc. Law shouldn't be involved in this in anyway, other than saying you can do what you want to do. It's your life, not ours.

So I don't think the government should have any say in anything like this, these personal matters. I think I said all that right, and made it understandable... If not just ask me something.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:36 pm
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:

And as to this comment:

What post? There has been no post from you since the original one. Or did you think no one would check?

I was referring to the post about me calling Obama a war monger. It was from a couple of months ago.
Here is the thread: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33311&p=978454&hilit=+iran#p978454

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

KidRock69x wrote:
Groucho wrote:

And as to this comment:

I was referring to the post about me calling Obama a war monger. It was from a couple of months ago.
Here is the thread: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33311&p=978454&hilit=+iran#p978454

Of course, how silly of me. I should have realized that when you make an ironic post from two months ago that the irony must be read in every subsequent post you make. :roll:

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:50 pm
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:
Of course, how silly of me. I should have realized that when you make an ironic post from two months ago that the irony must be read in every subsequent post you make. :roll:

?

Beeble said Republicans' do not have an irony gene and cited an example of me calling Obama a "war monger." I then pointed out that in that post I was specifically attempting to be ironic.
Other then me calling Beeble a dickhead, which I apologize for and admit that it was an ad hominem attack, I fail to see what your beef is regarding that post and its relation to irony.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

goodness. glad to see dialgue :thumbsup:

Haven't republicans voted against adding sexual orientation to the hate crimes bill?

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 am
All Star Poster

No Country for Sam wrote:
goodness. glad to see dialgue :thumbsup:

Haven't republicans voted against adding sexual orientation to the hate crimes bill?

Yup. Again, the idea that Republicans have not tried to deny civil rights to gays is patently false. The attempt to argue otherwise is either ludicrously ignorant or intentionally dishonest.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Yeah. I can understand the argument for small government. I don't agree with it, but I can see why some would think that is best. It just doesn't make any sense to me though about the things I've mentioned about republicans.

Are there any conflicting ideologies in the democratic party?

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 am

No Country for Sam wrote:

Are there any conflicting ideologies in the democratic party?

Of course not!

I can think of one (and it affects the GOP as well). Union supporters tend to be more opposed to immigrant labor while on the other hand the Democratic party has traditionally been welcoming towards immigrants.

Another issue is free speech. The Democratic party tends to champion free speech (and that is commendable) while at the same time many members of the party are for speech codes which ban things like hate speech. You will notice these codes when you look at University student codes of conduct.

All ideologies have internal inconsistencies. Afterall, they are espoused by humans.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Beeblebrox wrote:
Btw, the whole point of creating a national Social Security and Medicare program was because the private sector had FAILED so miserably at providing security and medical care for the poor and middle class.

And the government, likewise, failed at it as well.

So if neither of them work, the least the government can do is stop taking my money for a program that doesn't achieve what it set out to do.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 pm
I just lost the game

Beeblebrox wrote:
Eagle wrote:
He is right. Republican's tend not to argue to deny gays civil rights, rather, they argue the definition of marriage.

That's bullshit. They regularly argue specifically that allowing gays to marry would undermine society by undermining marriage - and yet they have yet to propose a Constitutional amendment banning divorse. They argue that gays are unfit for parenthood. They argue for the banning of gay sex acts. They argue against protection of homosexuals from discrimination in the workplace.

They couch it in "the definition of marriage" argument just like they couch anti-abortion in the "fertilized eggs are human beings" argument to hide their intentions and make their positions more palatable.

Gotta side with Beeble on this. Most Republicans hide their homophobia and prejudice behind "rational" arguments that they merely seek to ptoect the sanctity of marriage. I call bull.

The ONLY responsibility of the fedneral government on this issue is to either pass an amendment that says the gay marriage is a protected right, or leave it up to the individual states. Anything else is unconstitutional.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 pm
I just lost the game

Groucho wrote:
KidRock69x wrote:
Groucho wrote:

And as to this comment:

He wasn't talking about his original post at all. His comment was only directed towards Beeble's quote...your post and his original post were not the subject of his comment.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm
All Star Poster

KidRock69x wrote:
I can think of one (and it affects the GOP as well). Union supporters tend to be more opposed to immigrant labor while on the other hand the Democratic party has traditionally been welcoming towards immigrants.

Another issue is free speech. The Democratic party tends to champion free speech (and that is commendable) while at the same time many members of the party are for speech codes which ban things like hate speech.

I'd say the conflict between unions and immigrants makes more sense than the free speech one, since that's true of both parties. But to clarify, no one has tried to ban hate speech via government, but they have sought to make hate a component of punishment in the committal of another crime. In other words, calling someone a "nigger" to their face or in a public forum is not illegal (career suicide maybe, but not illegal). But to spray paint it on their garage door would be a hate crime as opposed to mere vandalism.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2