Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 California Democratic Debate 
All Star Poster

Post Re: California Democratic Debate
No Country for Sam wrote:
Eagle wrote:

I suppose I think we need to work on Health care REFORM before we go adding to the problem.

that's a valid point.

As Groucho says, band-aid solutions are how we ended up where we are, paying too much and getting too little - and that's for those than can afford it or who aren't denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Eagle wrote:

I suppose I think we need to work on Health care REFORM before we go adding to the problem.

that's a valid point.

I don't know -- why can't we do both at once? Reforming the system is just a band aid -- it may reduce costs but it still won't give coverage to those who can't afford it at all.

Well, in a perfect world, we WOULD do both at once. The problem is, it's not a realistic proposition, and none of the proposals out there currently do it.

By reforming the system, which Insurance companies would fight tooth and nail, we would be lowering the cost of insurance, and thus making it more affordable for millions. Thus we would be extending the umbrella of coverage, not to everyone, but to more than are currently covered.
Another huge problem is premiums, it needs to be addressed, and it should be addressed outside the scope of universal health care.

Yet another problem is the denial of coverage. We pay for this insurance in the event something happens, and then when it does, the insurance companies fight tooth and nail to not provide us the service we have been paying for! It's insane! And we want to make this something we have to pay for? Seriously?

We need tougher laws on insurance companies. Cut the bull shit, cut the denial of service, and get to the root of the problem.

If we could start chipping away at those issues, the real issues with America's current health care system, then extending the umbrella of coverage would be a gazillion times easier.

What you're describing is exactly what the Democrats are proposing. They are trying to reform the system with these same solutions. NONE of them are offering a universal health care solution, which is the solution I want.

So why are you arguing against what they're offering and then turning around and advocating it?

Quote:
You're just forcing another bill on them, and when they get the credit, chances are it goes to anything but paying for health care.

Huh? If the insurance plan is mandatory, then they will have to pay for health care.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Beeblebrox wrote:
Eagle wrote:

that's a valid point.

As Groucho says, band-aid solutions are how we ended up where we are, paying too much and getting too little - and that's for those than can afford it or who aren't denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

Clinton and Obama's plans are the definition of a band-aid solution. All they do is extend the over priced, bull shit failure of coverage that everyone else has, to everyone. They do nothing to solve the real issues. All they do is:

- Give more money to the companies causing these problems
- Force poor people to add another bill (which they DO have to pay for upfront)
- Tax the rich to pay for this foolish coverage.

And no beeble, do more research into Clinton and Obama's plans. All they do is throw money, money financed by increased taxes on the rich, at the problem. There is no real reform.

Obama's plan is particularly laughable, considering he talks about designing, developing and deploying a new electronic system, which has been estimated at costing hundreds of billions and taking years to create (which he obviously forgets to mention). Yet he talks about it as an avenue for lowering costs! Dream on man.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:
Clinton and Obama's plans are the definition of a band-aid solution. All they do is extend the over priced, bull shit failure of coverage that everyone else has, to everyone. They do nothing to solve the real issues. All they do is:

- Give more money to the companies causing these problems
- Force poor people to add another bill (which they DO have to pay for upfront)
- Tax the rich to pay for this foolish coverage.

How many times do I have to say that Obama's plan does not mandate coverage. Do you even give a crap about the truth?

First of all, their plans would do exactly what you SUPPOSEDLY advocate, which is provide coverage for those otherwise denied, lower premiums, and make sure that those who can't afford insurance now can pay for it. Hillary's plan does mandate coverage, an aspect of it I don't agree with. But her plan is actually modeled after ROMNEY's Mass. plan, which was passed in 2006, and which he of course now calls Hillarycare and is running away from.

And I agree that they are band-aid solutions - which is the problem I have with them. They are not universal health care.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Beeble!

They say they would, but if it was so simple, it would have been done years ago. Neither Clinton or Obama have ever said ANYTHING about the laws they would in act to make it a reality. Obama comes the closest, saying that he would create a magical watchdog group to curb the growth of premiums.

You're right, technically, on the Obama and mandating health care. But he WOULD mandate it for some, it's just not a full mandate. He 'provides' it for everyone, creates the option if you will. He doesn't FORCE the POOR to get it.

He DOES cut off access to current free public health care methods to those over certain incomes. He made it a talking point in his debate about how he would force those who could afford health care to get it, and not allow them to utilize the free system, as a means to save money.

Genius!

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:
Beeble!

They say they would, but if it was so simple, it would have been done years ago. Neither Clinton or Obama have ever said ANYTHING about the laws they would in act to make it a reality. Obama comes the closest, saying that he would create a magical watchdog group to curb the growth of premiums.

If only you'd exhibited this degree of skepticism when Bush was going to "magically" bring peace and democracy to the Middle East. :roll: Between the two, health care reform is actually feasible.

It hasn't been simple, not because the laws are difficult to implement, but because big insurance companies and Republicans have fought much harder against these plans than Dems have fought for them. In that time, insurance premiums and health care costs have spiraled so far out of control that BOTH parties are forced to address this issue. And I haven't seen you make any comment about the Republican plans, just dumb criticisms of Obama and Clinton even though they're trying to do what you claim to support, if not in exactly the same way.

Last edited by Beeblebrox on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Funny.

[youtube2]http://youtube.com/watch?v=OX-SNmroK7o[/youtube2]

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Well, in all honesty, republican's haven't exactly been putting out a lot of good ideas on the subject.

I commend the Democratic candidates for recognizing the issue, I just think all they are doing is throwing money at it. Hillary a bit moreso than Obama. In the end, while I commend the ideas and the fact they are putting them forth, I think there not the right answer, and I don't think we need another few hundred billion dollar mess hanging over our head that doesn't address the real problem.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:
Well, in all honesty, republican's haven't exactly been putting out a lot of good ideas on the subject.

Romney actually DID put out a good idea and it was implemented in Massachusetts. He now calls it Hillarycare and is against it.

Quote:
I commend the Democratic candidates for recognizing the issue, I just think all they are doing is throwing money at it. Hillary a bit moreso than Obama. In the end, while I commend the ideas and the fact they are putting them forth, I think there not the right answer, and I don't think we need another few hundred billion dollar mess hanging over our head that doesn't address the real problem.

You are being quite confusing. There is no solution that does not entail spending money. None of them are ultimately going to solve the problem until we get universal health care. But you oppose implementing that without first implementing these band-aid solutions, which you also oppose. It's like you're giving lip service to the problem but you're against any solutions to fix it.

And Republicans are worse than useless on the issue. They wouldn't do anything at all if there weren't so much overwhelming pressure from all sides on the issue.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Romney actually implemented Universal Health care in MA while he was there, the reason he 'opposes' what they do there now, and he talked about this in the last debate, is that they raised taxes to pay for various additional services.

In essence, once he left, they made it a bigger program, where before it was much more small scale.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:
Romney actually implemented Universal Health care in MA while he was there, the reason he 'opposes' what they do there now, and he talked about this in the last debate, is that they raised taxes to pay for various additional services.

In essence, once he left, they made it a bigger program, where before it was much more small scale.

Romney is full of shit.

First of all, how can you have a "small scale" universal health care? It's UNIVERSAL.

And Romney did not implement UHC in Mass. He expanded Mass's Medicade program. It MANDATED coverage for everyone. This was part of the reform that ROMNEY signed in April 2006 and that he's now trying to pretend he opposes. Romney only vetoed a few portions of the program, including a dental plan for poor people and health coverage for legal immigrants who are disabled.

In fact, Romney defended the mandates this way: "The governor recast the insurance requirement in conservative terms. He said each member of society had a "personal responsibility" to cover their own bills.

"It's a conservative idea," Romney said in an interview at the time, "insisting that individuals have responsibility for their own healthcare. I think it appeals to people on both sides of the aisle: insurance for everyone without a tax increase."

The only tax increase in the plan was on businesses, not individuals. And it was capped at a max of $295 per employee per year for businesses with 10 or more employees.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3