Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Primaries: Michigan, Nevada, South Carolina, Florida 
The 5th B-Sharp

Post Re: Primaries: Michigan, Nevada, South Carolina, Florida
Beeblebrox wrote:
Michael. wrote:
The point of regurgitating the same stupid ass arguments against Hillary for like 30 pages is beyond me.

So it's better to regurgitate the same stupid ass arguments against Obama?

Apparently, I mean he talks about change all the time :whaa:

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:00 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I'm with Micheal because the lot of you would not know political debate if it jumped up and punched you with a steel glove.......................debate on KJ is shallow and boring to an extreme degree, indeed its not debate its just people points scoring on others. Seriously what the hell is with that and who gives a toss???? I've had Sinn Fein and IRA members beat me to a pulp and threaten me with death in my life and i've told them to fuck off..............and STILL when it came to irish politics I could debate it rationally..........................................but the fuckheads on this website are completely incapable of doing that and I'm sick of it.

I really hope you wankers get your own forum so I don't have to listen to your drivel because I am sick of it at this stage.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:07 am
Devil's Advocate

Sounds familiar, real familiar

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 am
Veteran

Groucho wrote:
Dkmuto wrote:
I'm a little confused. Someone help me out here.

Hillary's saying she still doesn't think delegates from Florida should be counted. But she thinks they should still "matter." Huh?

:funny:

The Clinton spin at work!

She is supporting the democrats by saying that the delegates should not be counted at the convention, as per party rules. But since she plans on winning Florida, she wants to be able to brag that she won and that they matter (even though none of the other candidates are on the ballot).

Trying to have it both ways again...

When you are going to rejoin the community of the reality based? YOU are trying to have it both ways.

Quote:
Obama And Edwards Are On The FL Ballot Too

After railing against Hillary Clinton for her UNENFORCEABLE call to seat the Florida and Michigan delegations (Josh Marshall calls it an attempt to "muscle" the Party, what muscle is not at all clear) and lambasting Clinton for not taking her name off the ballot in Michigan and Florida, Marshall asks:

Perhaps there's some detail of this question that I'm not aware of. And if there is I'll revise my opinion accordingly. But based on what I know now this is pretty clear-cut.

What Josh knows is pretty clearly wrong. First thing Josh seems NOT to know is that taking their name off the ballots was NOT required of the candidates by the Democratic Party. If it was, then Clinton AND Obama AND Edwards are violating the rules as they ALL have their names on the ballot. But of course the rules can not require this for to take their names off the Florida ballot they have to drop out of the race entirely under Florida law. So much for that "rule." More . . .

Second thing Josh does not know is that the decision to remove their names from the ballot in Michigan was initiated by Obama, the Party had nothing to do with it, and Obama's request was adhered to by Edwards and some of the other candidates but NOT Dodd, Kucinich and Gravel (the dirty cheaters). See, HALF of the candidates did not remove their names from the ballot. There was NO RULE requiring it.

What TPM does not realize is that the removal was an attempted power play by Obama because he knew he could not run well in Michigan and thought that the pressure of Iowa (protect the whole first thing) would allow him to shut down the possibility of a Michigan beauty contest being deemed meaningful. And indeed Obama's hardball ploy worked. Michigan was not covered.

However, when Obama saw that Hillary was not going to play his game, he did not remove his name from the Florida ballot, nor could he under Florida law without dropping out of the race entirely. And neither did Edwards. Hence they are all dirty scoundrels breaking the rules in Florida.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/1/25/183713/960

There is nothing special about Obama, other than his supporters' extreme hypocrisy. Clintons are evil when they play politics. Obama doesn't do it, except when he does and then it is "purity", not politics.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:46 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Shack wrote:

Posted like two pages ago.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

wow...all i can say. he got 2x the votes he did!

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Michael. wrote:
Shack wrote:

Posted like two pages ago.

I can't keep up with this thread man

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:30 am
Veteran

AA vote in SC in 2004 Dem primary approx. 136,000. It was 47% of 290,000.
AA vote in SC in 2008 Dem primary approx. 291,500. It was 55% of 530,000.

The primary this year was on a Saturday and in 2004 was on a Tuesday, so that helped to increase turnout (turnout is always higher on a Saturday than on a Tuesday). Still an amazing increase in the AA turnout.

If anyone is curious the 2000 Republican primary turnout was 573,000 and Bush got 293,000 votes.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

loyalfromlondon wrote:
The Clintons are marching forward to Florida, even though it mostly for show (like Michigan).

Obama - Iowa and South Carolina
Hillary - New Hampshire, Michigan, Nevada, and Florida?

Michigan's headline was primarily Clinton almost getting her ass whooped by "Uncommitted".
loyalfromlondon wrote:
on MSNBC, they played every speech in its entirety EXCEPT Clinton's.

Maybe if she was actually in South Carolina rather than a February 5th state when she "thanked" her South Carolina supporters. That was a wee bit transparently political.

Clinton and Obama have similar platforms, so judging on issues alone is pointless. What matters is character, and Obama's strength is his ability to inspire. Kennedy's greatest achievement (other than averting nuclear war) was not a material program but rather his call for Americans to serve a cause greater than themselves. Cynical Clintonistas don't seem to grasp the importance of such an intangible factor for the well-being of a liberal democracy. They think all we need are programs and ten-point plans, that it does not matter if a leader makes the country clench their teeth. Throw all the intellectual jabberwocky at me if you want, but I stand by this statement.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:46 am
All Star Poster

mdana wrote:
Still an amazing increase in the AA turnout.

Alcoholics Anonymous is really getting out the vote this year! :D

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:01 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Angela Merkel wrote:
Clinton and Obama have similar platforms, so judging on issues alone is pointless. What matters is character, and Obama's strength is his ability to inspire.

Oh, Hillary inspires alright. Vitriol and bitterness on the right AND the left.

Quote:
Cynical Clintonistas don't seem to grasp the importance of such an intangible factor for the well-being of a liberal democracy.

I have to say, I'm actually astonished at the cynicism. They are actually FOR more slime and mudslinging - the kind that Hillary and Bill are dishing out. And when Obama tries to stay above it, they accuse him of being too weak to fight back.

I'll be glad when the primaries are over and Dems can go back to attacking Republicans again. ;)

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Magnus wrote:
^

The above post was no. 666. Just wanted to point that out

Hahahahaahaha!!!! :twisted:

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:11 am
Profile WWW

Beeblebrox wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:
Clinton and Obama have similar platforms, so judging on issues alone is pointless. What matters is character, and Obama's strength is his ability to inspire.

Oh, Hillary inspires alright. Vitriol and bitterness on the right AND the left.

That would make for a sad year 2008. Though to think of it, there is little point in voting McCain in Texas; he would have a total lock on every red state against Clinton.
Quote:
Quote:
Cynical Clintonistas don't seem to grasp the importance of such an intangible factor for the well-being of a liberal democracy.

I have to say, I'm actually astonished at the cynicism. They are actually FOR more slime and mudslinging - the kind that Hillary and Bill are dishing out. And when Obama tries to stay above it, they accuse him of being too weak to fight back.

I'll be glad when the primaries are over and Dems can go back to attacking Republicans again. ;)

It makes sense in a twisted way. They think slime is what it takes to further the liberal platform.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:12 am
life begins now

Michael. wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:

By the way that Lisa Nova clip earlier was hilarious.

I pretty much think that Lisa Nova sums up the entire issues people have with Hillary, Obama and indeed the supporters of each.

I mean as a rule of thumb im slightly leaning towards Hillary, but pushed further towards her by the agressive tactics of Obama fans, not Obama himself.

And Groucho, I don't really have an issue with anyone showing opinions, but it feels like 30 pages in people are really fucking grasping at straws to kick Hillary Clinton down. I am getting tired of seeing the same comments from the same people 14 pages later, just restated more agressively. No one is offering much new in the way of arguments against Hillary or blind support for Obama.

If the same arguments were being made against Obama id actually possibly be more aligned with him. I think that the attacks on Hillary are actually rallying her votes for people who don't like to be aggresively pushed into a voting stance. It feels like Obama fans almost force their support upon people, I don't see that from Hillary fans so much.

Its all CORPORATE AMERICAN BULLSHEET.

I pretty much agree with all of this. It's not just here either, it seems to be all Obama fans. I've noticed it a lot among my group of friends and just college kids in general. It has definitely made me more of a Hillary supporter than I would be otherwise.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:58 am
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

Angela Merkel wrote:
It makes sense in a twisted way. They think slime is what it takes to further the liberal platform.

So I was just reading up on Michigan and Florida. And it does not paint a pretty picture for Hillary. So basically, the Dems have decided not to count the Michigan delegates because of a rules violation. So all of the candidates agreed not to run there. Obama and Edwards took the extra step of taking their names off the ballot. A symbolic gesture that had no real bearing since the delegates wouldn't count anyway.

But since Hillary won the primary, she suddenly (and this is a total flip-flop) wants the delegates counted. Ditto with Florida, where she is also ahead in the polls. That's BULLSHIT. How much money you wanna bet that if she loses Florida by a substantial margin, she'd totally reverse position again and argue that they shouldn't be counted. It's ridiculous how transparent her campaign is. The only thing Hillary stands for is Hillary.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Michael. wrote:
No one is offering much new in the way of arguments against Hillary or blind support for Obama.

Again, I must have missed all the "new" arguments FOR Hillary or against Obama after all these pages. C'mon, where are they?

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

Beeblebrox wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:

So I was just reading up on Michigan and Florida. And it does not paint a pretty picture for Hillary. So basically, the Dems have decided not to count the Michigan delegates because of a rules violation. So all of the candidates agreed not to run there. Obama and Edwards took the extra step of taking their names off the ballot. A symbolic gesture that had no real bearing since the delegates wouldn't count anyway.

But since Hillary won the primary, she suddenly (and this is a total flip-flop) wants the delegates counted. Ditto with Florida, where she is also ahead in the polls. That's BULLSHIT. How much money you wanna bet that if she loses Florida by a substantial margin, she'd totally reverse position again and argue that they shouldn't be counted. It's ridiculous how transparent her campaign is. The only thing Hillary stands for is Hillary.

We get it, Beeble. Hillary is out to win it, while Obama and Edwards stand for "symbolic gestures".

Yawn... let's give it to the one who actually seems to understand what she's getting herself into.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:45 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Cotton wrote:
We get it, Beeble. Hillary is out to win it, while Obama and Edwards stand for "symbolic gestures".

No, clearly you don't get it. They're all out to win it, of course, but Hillary is the only one who will literally say or do anything to win. She is the Mitt Romney of the Democrats in terms of principle, and the Karl Rove of the Dems in terms of slime politics. She only cares about what is good for Hillary, not America.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Beeblebrox wrote:
Cotton wrote:

No, clearly you don't get it. They're all out to win it, of course, but Hillary is the only one who will literally say or do anything to win...

Um, you're kidding, right? Edwards isn't saying and doing just about anything to win? The guy is stashing delegates to barter for a vp nod. Obama began passing out pamphlets where he is speaking from a pew with a giant cross in the background and saying he found himself through church as a youth. This is an election, everyone's hands aren't clean.

The big difference I've noticed is that most people who are voting for Hillary (or Edwards) don't hate Obama, they just want to hear more from him.

I see Hito's point that someone has to have the 'spirit' to motivate people to come together, but the question still stands, "over what?" Bush got a remarkable amount of people to unite (and give up their privacy rights) with his nifty deck of playing cards and his 'red light' 'orange light' system. That's a unite I'd rather do without.

Being a leader takes both leadership 'quality' as you guys call it; but as a concerned voter I want to know what I'm drinking the coolaid for and joining first. This is a valid arguement, and one that does not disclude Obama from my thinking process in the primaries and certainly not my whole-hearted support in the general election.

Its a far cry from what I've noticed you've been saying. Which is spreading far more "Vitriol and bitterness" than any actual one of the candidates does. The raw loathing you have for someone who pretty much has sound policies squarely within the democratic platform can only lead everyone reading this thread to notice what they already have: mainly that there is a small group of Hillary-haters in this country that preceeded and will transcend the moment. Its a particular thing that only happens to her and has been documented for years. Now, there are a million suspicions as to why these haters exist (and no, its not just her actions for five days in SC, its been around as far back as her health care package suggestion as first lady), but the one thing that is for sure is that they are really colouring this election with all kinds of nastiness.

Now, I am not saying all Obama fans are Hillary-haters. Clearly most of them are not (75% exit polls, as I earlier posted in this thread). But its remarkable to see one of them in action as Michael picked up on here. The general comfort I have is in knowing that over four-fifths of democrats interviewed in SC said they are pretty much fine with either candidate running on the general election ticket. They have a preference (as all people who vote do) but they aren't sitting around being nearly as negative about the other candidate. That's good, I realize it means neither one of these candidates is as 'polarizing' as the media is trying to make them out to be (its like a bad episode of Survivor...the way NYTimes and CNN have been covering and 'editing' this election process).

I just hope other people aren't reading this thread and thinking this is what most democrats think in this country (which would lead to a biased opinion that Hillary is a polarizer), because they don't. Both the lead candidates are promising to deliver a fairly consistent democratic platform. Because of this, no one is going to randomly jump ship in the general elections. They are both very electable.

The fact of the matter is, if someone jumps ship and, say, votes for McCain, than they really weren't ever going to vote for a democrat anyways. They are just lying to pollsters because they have a myth of their own 'Independant' status (this happened in NH, and most people turned out and voted in the end in the Rep primary). There's a big difference between what both Hillary and Obama are offering as far as subsidized national health care, pro-choice and pro-gay couple rights, as well as aggressive exit plans from Iraq, and what McCain is offering: which is fairly opposite all these things.

So people need to stop acting like if Hillary is the democratic candidate that voters will randonly change entire political agendas and platform appeal just because they don't like her 'personality', and that if Obama runs suddenly all these 'racist' democrats are going to jump ship. If McCain beats either of these two very strong candidates it can only mean one thing: That after decades of a right-moving country, the plurality of this country really has shifted its values towards the right. If so, then we can't really blame either of the democratic candidates; only ourselves.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:25 am
htm

:thumbsup:

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:43 am
All Star Poster

dolcevita wrote:
Um, you're kidding, right? Edwards isn't saying and doing just about anything to win?

No, and neither is Obama. Or McCain. Romney does and so does Clinton.

Quote:
The guy is stashing delegates to barter for a vp nod. Obama began passing out pamphlets where he is speaking from a pew with a giant cross in the background and saying he found himself through church as a youth. This is an election, everyone's hands aren't clean.

You guys clearly aren't hearing what I'm saying. They are all politicians, yes, and politicans make promises, sure. But with Edwards and Obama and some of the other candidates, they have underlying principles. That's the difference between them. Hillary has none. I'm not criticizing her for wanting to win. They all want to win. I'm criticizing her because her only principle is Hillary.

Quote:
The raw loathing you have for someone who pretty much has sound policies squarely within the democratic platform can only lead everyone reading this thread to notice what they already have: mainly that there is a small group of Hillary-haters in this country that preceeded and will transcend the moment.

As much as I'm flattered that you think I represent the history of Hillary hating in this country going back to 1994, it's absolutely untrue. First of all, I don't hate her. I, like many, have the biggest resentment toward her for her vote to authorize Bush to go to war. There are other issues, but that's the biggest. It's also the one her supporters continue to ignore or brush aside. You wanna talk about leadership qualities, then explain that total lapse of judgment of character, events, and facts that she displayed in 2002 and 2003. But it's part and parcel to the modern Hillary - the one chastened and hardened by the 1994 health care debacle, the one who will say or do whatever she thinks will make her popular.

And I certainly take issue with those who harp on Obama's experience and ability to enact the change he promises and NOTHING ELSE, and accuse me of repeating the same criticisms over and over again. It's a ludicrous level of hypocrisy, especially given Hillary's relative lack of experience and (newly invoked) promises of change.

Quote:
I just hope other people aren't reading this thread and thinking this is what most democrats think in this country (which would lead to a biased opinion that Hillary is a polarizer), because they don't.

Sorry, dolce, but you are living in a dreamworld if you don't think that Hillary is any more polarizing than Obama. I'm not saying that's a reason not to vote for her, just as pandering to latent racists is no reason not to vote for Obama, but I think a lot of Democrats are deluding themselves over just how high her negatives are. As someone else pointed out, there is a very definite ceiling to her popularity that Obama simply does not have. And IF that is the reason one is using to criticize Obama's inability to enact the kind of change he promises while simultaneously arguing that Hillary somehow can, then it's an empty baseless reason.

Quote:
So people need to stop acting like if Hillary is the democratic candidate that voters will randonly change entire political agendas and platform appeal just because they don't like her 'personality', and that if Obama runs suddenly all these 'racist' democrats are going to jump ship.

I don't think that's issue. I think there's the "stay at home" factor, Dems who are way less enthused about one candidate over another and decide simply to stay out. Again, this is a risk for any nominee, this year more than many, but I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Hillary is far more vulnerable here than Obama.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Quote:
I'm criticizing her because her only principle is Hillary.

I believe you mean winning?

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:00 pm
Profile WWW

bABA wrote:
Quote:
I'm criticizing her because her only principle is Hillary.

I believe you mean winning?

There's winning, and then there's winning. Watching Hillary campaign is like watching people in China do business. Anything goes, for the win.

She adopts "change" when polls showed Americans want "change". She suddenly claims to be "ready for change" on "day one", even though missus "vast right wing conspiracy" is obviously unqualified for working with Republicans. She votes for the Iraq War, and bamboozles some Americans into believing it is not a vote for war. That resolution's name is "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq." Generally speaking, Hillary is quite the expert on bamboozling, whether about her record, or her opponents' records, or her campaign stances... all for the win.

She can't bamboozle McCain so easily. His slogan is, gasp, "Best prepared to lead on day one." Throw all the babble about Hillary's qualifications at me, but McCain has been in elected office for three times as long as Hillary. But given Hillary's record of convenient transfiguration, she would probably, all of a sudden, position herself as a change candidate. It would be good entertainment, for sure. ;)

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:44 pm
No Wire Tampons!

God, I missed Dolcevita.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Florida today (I almost forgot!).

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next