Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 International politics (China, Russia, UK, etc.) 
now we know

Post Re: International politics (China, Russia, UK, etc.)
Hopefully we see some real, concrete polices as a result of the G7 summit in Hiroshima. All countries vowed to "de-risk" from China and counter China's economic coercion, and with yesterday's announcement from China to ban or limit Micron's business within China there's enough fuel in the fire to push democracies to cut economic ties with them. Let's see how it unfolds. And the language of "de-risking" makes me laugh because it's basically decoupling dressed in a business suit. It sounds nicer but it won't matter to China. They'll see it as the same thing.

As for the Russo-Ukrainian War, things are getting embarrassing for Russia. They have anti-Kremlin groups uprising within Russia now, causing trouble in and taking over towns like Bolgorod. Russia is claiming they are Ukrainian (or at least backe by Ukraine) in order to justify his invasion. Also, there's no way he could tell the truth and be like "yeah, they're actually Ruskies" because then others might think dissent is tolerated. So Russia is basically saying every attack is from Ukraine. Ukraine would be wise to distance itself from these groups. If it doesn't, then it runs the risk of giving Putin diplomatic ammunition to escalate, and it puts the west in a tricky position because it cannot be seen as providing weapons that attack Russia - whether that's happening or not.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 23, 2023 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Algren wrote:
More and more I'm beginning to feel that you cannot really win being against the collective west. And if the west decides to turn the screw, you lose.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I also feel this is what is going to hurt Erdogan.

Ok, so this didn't happen. But I am interested to see just how Erdogan changes, if at all. As he can no longer stand in another election he may change his stance a little since self-preservation is no longer an issue, though he does also seem quite the stubborn nationalist. Hopefully he just doesn't turn more towards Putin. A more-of-the-same Erdogan isn't the worst thing in the world. He's tricky and annoying at times, but ultimately not the narrow bottleneck he thinks he is - he can more or less be bought diplomatically.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I just learned something interesting today about how China calculates unemployment. Its youth unemployment is at 20.4% in April 2023, which already is very, very high. It means 1 in 5 young people are out of work. But apparently China once again tries to skew statistics by only counting people as "unemployed" who are not employed but A) have been looking for a job in the past three months and B) can start work within two weeks if a suitable job is found. Anyone that doesn't meet this criteria is considered as just not participating in the labor force at all and thus not included in unemployment statistics.

Also, any youngster who decides to delay graduation, continue higher education, or simply quit searching for a job for three months, is no longer in the job market and therefore not "unemployed", statistically speaking. So youth unemployment in China is obviously way, way higher than 20.4%. And another 12 million of graduates will be adding to that this summer, so that will hugely increase.

This is just a reminder that any statistics coming out of China are usually false. They can flat-out just lie about figures, but they also adjust the criteria for calculation to always make China look good. Just like how you might hear "China has eradicated poverty". This is also absolute bullshit. All they did was A) changed the definition as to what constitutes "poverty" to something extremely low so most people aren't below that level, and B) made it illegal for people to talk about or report on poverty in China so the issue isn't visible anymore.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 am
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
Algren wrote:
More and more I'm beginning to feel that you cannot really win being against the collective west. And if the west decides to turn the screw, you lose.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I also feel this is what is going to hurt Erdogan.

Ok, so this didn't happen. But I am interested to see just how Erdogan changes, if at all. As he can no longer stand in another election he may change his stance a little since self-preservation is no longer an issue, though he does also seem quite the stubborn nationalist. Hopefully he just doesn't turn more towards Putin. A more-of-the-same Erdogan isn't the worst thing in the world. He's tricky and annoying at times, but ultimately not the narrow bottleneck he thinks he is - he can more or less be bought diplomatically.

He could also just push for laws to make his re-election more assured.

Mon May 29, 2023 12:22 pm
Cream of the Crop

Gonna be extremely hard now for Oryx and co to conceal those burning leopards and bradleys as Russian like they usually do with the rest. Our guys should take pictures from all sides, paint and burn them again and move them around too to multiply the losses like they do in Western media. I know bradleys are shit from 1998 Pentagon Wars, but leopards done by cheap fpv drones we now have in tens of thousands is really surprising. I thought they had magical nato armour.

Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:35 pm
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
As for the Russo-Ukrainian War, things are getting embarrassing for Russia. They have anti-Kremlin groups uprising within Russia now, causing trouble in and taking over towns like Bolgorod. Russia is claiming they are Ukrainian (or at least backe by Ukraine) in order to justify his invasion. Also, there's no way he could tell the truth and be like "yeah, they're actually Ruskies" because then others might think dissent is tolerated. So Russia is basically saying every attack is from Ukraine. Ukraine would be wise to distance itself from these groups. If it doesn't, then it runs the risk of giving Putin diplomatic ammunition to escalate, and it puts the west in a tricky position because it cannot be seen as providing weapons that attack Russia - whether that's happening or not.

You should really revisit your posts some time after the fact. You're posting after you've just seen the news on CNN or whatever dump you're consuming from. Anti-Kremlin groups taking over Belgorod, uprising within Russia...aren't we a little...impressionable? BElgorod, not BOlgorod (means "White City"), not a town, but a big 0.5 million aglomeration (one of the best dairy destinations in Russia) - learn something. BTW, Russian TV said those were "actually Ruskies", identified as Russian citizens.

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:08 pm
now we know

But influenced/financed/organized by Ukraine. It's the same old story with authoritarian states. They always need to use "outside forces" as the reason for any dissent or opposition by residents. They can never say "These are Russian citizens that disagree with our invasion of Ukraine", because that might plant a seed in other people's minds. Weak-minded regimes like Russia always need scapegoats.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Wagner group leader Prigozhin waging a coup against Putin?

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:08 am
now we know

It doesn't appear to be a coup against Putin but one against Shoigu and Gerasimov. Though it seems Putin isn't seeing this distinction because he's reported to by those two. Anyway, the big tough man Putin jumped on a plane out of Moscow as soon as he caught wind of Wagner's convoy being Moscow-bound. Such a pussy. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Sounds like it's over and they're just going to move on like nothing happened even though Putin was just calling him a traitor like 12 hours ago

Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:46 pm

Shit, wow

Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:52 pm
now we know

lol, that sounds a lot like Russia gave Prigozhin a way out because they didn't want to be embarrassed by how easy it would have been to take control. He's now off to Belarus where I imagine he'll be assassinated later at some point.

Anyway, weird-ass day.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

Surprised more people aren’t talking about this. This was legit history happening before our eyes.

Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:10 pm
now we know

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Surprised more people aren’t talking about this. This was legit history happening before our eyes.

Ukraine war fatigue set in months ago I noticed. The only news people care about now is a victory or something crazy like a nuclear attack. Everything else doesn't seem to matter. They'd rather fill up their brains caring about five millionaires on an ocean tour. I suppose because the conflict is almost unsolvable.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

If it went on longer than a day it probably would've picked it up more steam

Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:33 am
now we know

This coup attempt, which apparently wasn't actually a coup attempt, still makes Putin and the Kremlin look weaker than before it happened. It has also now made "the coup" a possibility in people's minds. I'm very interested how this develops and what else doesn't go Russia's way as a consequence of it. It's just a little disappointing how it only lasted a day and therefore Ukraine couldn't use it to their advantage on the battlefield. Rostov-on-Don is the southern command headquarters or something, and that being occupied by Wagner could have caused serious pain for the Russian army in Ukraine. Now they're just back to ploughing through minefields and trenches, which hasn't got them very far yet.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:12 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

If a coup happens in Russia, but nobody in America hears it, did it really happen?

Gonna be a long year and a half for Putin. If he can last until Trump retakes the White House then he'll be fine. I'm sure the others powers in Russia know that though, so if they want this to happen there is a pretty strict deadline.

Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 am

You think Trump is going to retake the White House?

Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:40 am
The Kramer

Seems likely at this point. He's too rich to face any actual legal consequences, so all of these indictments are really just free marketing for him. He has an unwavering 30% of the population who believe he is perfect and can do no wrong. He will cruise through the primaries because of them. And in the general election Joe Biden will get blamed for inflation, nevermind that Trump was the one who printed over 6 trillion in his one term (and inflation is just a made up scam anyway.) Republicans will fall back in line, Biden will drop from 80 million votes to the 65ish that Hilary got and there will be just enough electoral shenanigans (cancelled mail-in ballots for example) to push Trump over in the states that he needs.

Within one year, America will pull all military support from Ukraine, cancel all sanctions on Russia and legally recognize any conquered territories as part of the new Russian empire.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

Gut feeling is 2024 being the same two candidates doesn't feel right, I suppose you could talk yourself into Biden not being a lock either, and they could internally push him to step down using age and the Hunter stuff as an excuse.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:47 pm

I would like to think people are not going to rationally vote for an actual criminal into office. Like beyond corrupt, but then they think all politicians are criminals, so why not put a criminal in office that tells people what they want to hear and pretend like it is 2019 again.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

I would like to think people are not going to rationally vote for an actual criminal into office. Like beyond corrupt, but then they think all politicians are criminals, so why not put a criminal in office that tells people what they want to hear and pretend like it is 2019 again.

I think the Republicans saying Biden is the corrupt one cancels out some of it, though the voters in the middle maybe more turned off by the Trump side due to the immediate indictment headlines and J6 was milked for every last drop politically in a way that was probably effective in the end.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:59 pm
The Kramer

I think Trump could be sitting in prison on election day and get the same amount of votes he did in 2016 (I figure 2020 was a boosted turnout for both partys.) If Trump has broken the law, then its the law's fault for not recognizing that Trump is always right.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:52 pm
Romosexual!

Just hoping Trump, whether he gets nominated or not, gets a lot of republicans/independents NOT to vote and cost them the WH :lol:

Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's not really a good look for the US that their political situation resembles Brazil so much (Bolsonaro just banned from running for 8 years and will face other attempts to bury him legally like blaming him for post election protests etc.)

Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next