Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 50 Year Creature Feature Retrospecticus/More movie reviews! 
Post Re: 50 Year Creature Feature Retrospecticus/More movie revie
Tar

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/10/02/tar-i ... e-feature/

I don’t expect the world when watching these kinds of low-budget indies, but so much of Tar’s failures have nothing to do with money and everything to do with the screenplay & characters. It doesn’t cost millions of dollars to write people who are more than “Whiny Bland Lead,” “Girlfriend,” “Flashback Dad,” “Schlubby Horny Idiot,” “Astrology Lady,” “Tits McGee,” “The Lesbian,” “Asshole Building Owner,” or “Homeless Exposition Guy” so there’s no excuse for such a lame parade of non-characters.

Last edited by Malcolm on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:43 pm
Bloodthirsty

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/10/04/blood ... than-film/

Bloodthirsty mistakes quiet meandering around an *obvious* weirdo’s house and lots of solemn staring (staring at each other, staring in a mirror, staring out a window, staring at nothing, staring at food, and more!) as innately suspenseful when, after a certain point, it’s just boring and silly–nothing fascinates me about joyless and overtly dubious people working on an album interspersed with standard displays of creepy dreams/visions teasing inevitable third act developments.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:48 pm
Swamp Thing (Pilot)

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/10/06/swamp ... s-justice/

From the effective opening scene showing just how dangerous these swamps can be to a few other instances of biological frights there’s a nice creepy vibe to enjoy throughout. However, when things stray from leads Crystal Reed & Andy Bean investigating the bizarre swampy horrors into uninteresting backstory of some locals or the town’s mysteries I become wary of where Swamp Thing will focus its energy going forward.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am
Murder Bury Win

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/10/06/murde ... ame-movie/

Whether you play these kinds of murder-based games or not (the latter for me), Murder Bury Win succeeds at making 90 fun minutes fly by. This character-centric indie presents a unique scenario then follows its energetic train of thought to a reasonably logical, yet absurd conclusion without ever forgetting to be amusing and involving along the way.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:54 pm
The Kramer

I watched Schlock. It was funny and I'm impressed what Landis was able to do with what looked like the smallest budget ever given to a film. The story runs out of steam pretty quickly though. I'd give like a B- and don't think it deserves a thread in EAC.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:37 pm
The Wolf of Snow Hollow

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/10/09/the-w ... ting-lead/

The *constant* screaming from lead cop Jim Cummings (also the writer & director) grows from a thorn in The Wolf of Snow Hollow’s side to a hunting knife right through the gut, largely overwhelming everything else on display. It’s especially frustrating because, putting his shining example of everything wrong with police officers & some odd editing/tonal issues aside a moment, there’s almost a pretty good werewolf movie in here.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:20 pm
The Kramer

The Black Demon stunk. It's been a pretty weak year for shark movies with the exception of The Meg's finale. Are drug-addicted bears the new very hungry sea monster?

Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ah, the days when Malcolm offered to write a main page creature feature article and sent me like a 90 page pdf half of which was 2-3 pictures on each page, I tried to negotiate to let me control the pictures so it wouldn't take a month to format, or to split into 5 parts but released a month apart instead of once a week like he wanted, in the end he decided to just take it to another site.

Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4