Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 50 Year Creature Feature Retrospecticus/More movie reviews! 
Post Re: 50 Year Creature Feature Retrospecticus
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I finally went through the list. Awesome work Malcolm. I haven't seen a lot of these but I can see how much research went into this. Great job :thumbsup:

I remembered Splinter from 2008 entirely too late (I recall it being much better than I thought it'd be going in and overall a pretty good time) and I forgot CHUD entirely, but what can you do? ;)

Perusing your recent additions to the movie review forum I'm reminded of how I didn't care for Piranha 3D that first time, which I don't even remember (or the weird feedback to me not being taken with it). Still don't care for the second one, though--David Koechner is always a negative addition to anything for me because he's awful.

Anyway, thanks! It was fun and hopefully there's more stuff coming :)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 am
The Kramer

I remember being disappointed by Piranha as well. It was fine, but could never figure out what type of movie it wanted to be. I think they should have gone with a comedy director instead of Aja (though it did give him practice for the highly superior Crawl.)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Piranha is a B grade movie. It's not made with the mindset of a blockbuster or high quality theatrical movie and its fun. Plus it has one of the most ridiculous yet practical setup for a creature feature. If you revisit the movie you'll realize that it's not as funny as it might have seen before.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Malcolm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I finally went through the list. Awesome work Malcolm. I haven't seen a lot of these but I can see how much research went into this. Great job :thumbsup:

I remembered Splinter from 2008 entirely too late (I recall it being much better than I thought it'd be going in and overall a pretty good time) and I forgot CHUD entirely, but what can you do? ;)

Perusing your recent additions to the movie review forum I'm reminded of how I didn't care for Piranha 3D that first time, which I don't even remember (or the weird feedback to me not being taken with it). Still don't care for the second one, though--David Koechner is always a negative addition to anything for me because he's awful.

Anyway, thanks! It was fun and hopefully there's more stuff coming :)

By recent movie binge was definitely inspired by your article :thumbsup:

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:52 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/07/02/belze ... ror-movie/

This one, Belzebuth, is firmly not a creature feature but there *is* a hilarious monster present so there's that ;)

Jack Sparrow wrote:
By recent movie binge was definitely inspired by your article :thumbsup:

Glad I could be of service! I'm not sure if this is against the rules (the linking) so if I should stop just say so.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:11 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Linking of spam websites is not allowed. Anything the leads to your own material is welcome :thumbsup:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/07/14/elvis ... xperience/

Boom, more stuff! Also not a creature feature at all (probably re-title this thread) but not without some laughter.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: 50 Year Creature Feature Retrospecticus/More movie revie
Sea Fever was excellent, definitely check it out whenever you can.

I finally made my way through the 90s one (have been reading out of order) and wtf at Deep Rising only having a 29% rating???? That movie is so great.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Sea Fever was excellent, definitely check it out whenever you can.

I finally made my way through the 90s one (have been reading out of order) and wtf at Deep Rising only having a 29% rating???? That movie is so great.

Sea Fever's definitely on my to-do list, moreso now that it's on amazon prime, and Deep Rising's low numbers across the board aren't terribly surprising but at least we still carry that torch ;)

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/07/16/the-b ... t-society/

It's another one! In Bright Axiom, a documentary covering an exclusive adult clubhouse (not "adult" as in sex, but grown ups interested in wearing sashes and sharing secret handshakes) that could have been kind of entertaining but isn't.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:42 am
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/07/26/paral ... i-cliches/

More! Parallax--another miss, this one of the overly dull & pretentious kind.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/07/31/she-d ... f-nothing/

Oof, what a dud. I understand many find She Dies Tomorrow somehow worthwhile, but I guess I didn't drink the kool-aid. Or perhaps this particular style of repeating *one note* ad nauseam and calling it a movie simply doesn't work for me.

There are finally a couple movies I found pretty okay coming up, so it IS possible :thumbsup:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/05/shift ... r-thrills/

It's happened--I finally watched one that was largely pretty okay in Shifter. This tale of a homemade time travel device’s aftereffect on a woman and her time cat companion is definitely interesting enough for most of the runtime, even if eventually it feels like wheels are spinning a bit.

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/07/max-r ... -practice/

Max Reload and the Nether Blasters shoots for silly, dumb fun with its various hijinks, banter, video game graphics, chosen one tropes, and references galore but at a certain point the childish interactions feel more like failed humor or repetitive filler.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Black Water : Abyss is the most recent one I'm interested to see

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 pm
Hopefully if we get Black Water: Abyss I manage to review it ;) I'll take a creature feature over some pompous, meaningful slog that makes its point 15 minutes in and then goes on for another hour/hour and a half of circling the drain.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

So I saw it this morning and even though it's not as tense at it should be the atmosphere and settings are great

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am
The Kramer

She Dies Tomorrow sounds like Mandy from your review. That got huge scores, but when I watched it the movie seemed like little more than two hours of Nic Cage’s head in a fruit by the foot.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:11 pm
Forum General

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
She Dies Tomorrow sounds like Mandy from your review. That got huge scores, but when I watched it the movie seemed like little more than two hours of Nic Cage’s head in a fruit by the foot.

I get those comparisons, but I'm also one of the few that really enjoyed Mandy. I liked She Dies Tomorrow, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's really artsy which can be hit or miss with me in most cases, but I really enjoyed the style and the performances.'

Jack Sparrow wrote:
So I saw it this morning and even though it's not as tense at it should be the atmosphere and settings are great

I'm glad you liked it Jack Sparrow. The first Black Water was a better made film IMO, but the underwater cave location was great and it was quite atmospheric and suspenseful.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I will try to catch the first Black Water movie. I like a well made crocodile movie.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 pm
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/10/spree ... ous-mirth/

I finally liked one of these in Spree ;)

This black comedy/thriller/horror of a rideshare driver and wannabe social media influencer who’s gone off the deep end in his quest to be noticed tells an effective and energetic tale via smartphones, body cams, car cams, security footage, and the like thanks to a steady hand from director Eugene Kotlyarenko.

Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:25 am
Ravage

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/21/ravag ... xperience/

This almost great thriller of a photographer doing her best to survive against country hicks out for blood alternates between surprisingly good and frustratingly self-destructive with the worst saved for last, unfortunately. If it weren’t for the lame hospital scenes, script-based character idiocy, and a rushed/choppily edited denouement I think this would’ve been at least an 8 out of 10.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:25 pm
Hello again, myself! Here are a couple to avoid...

The Last Five Days

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/25/the-l ... then-ends/

Let me stress right away this is simply a Paranormal Activity knockoff where things the characters consider minorly spooky–but aren’t–occasionally happen before the suggestion of a climax and that’s all folks.

The Good Things Devils Do

https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/08/25/the-g ... -to-avoid/

This kind of lazy, nasty experience is chock-full of abrasively idiotic characters, vulgarity for vulgarity’s sake, choppy and inconsistent filmmaking, and I couldn’t think of anything at all worth recommending here.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:43 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ideally not a creature feature but the recent movie Rogue features lions killing mercenaries so I guess it qualifies. It has a good message and decent turn from Megan Fox.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 pm
Forum General

Ravage was surprisingly pretty decent, but it still could have been better IMO. I hated the abrupt ending and the hospital scenes were horrible and felt really unnecessary.

I also saw Rogue with Megan Fox and thought that one was kind of lame honestly even though Fox was pretty decent in it, but man did those CGI lions look awful and I still felt she was really miscast for the role.

The Pale Door was a pretty decent Horror Western too, but the really low budget might put a lot of people off. It reminded quite a bit of From Dusk Till Dawn though, but instead of vampires its witches which looked cool IMO and it also had some solid gore.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes Ravage was really good as well IMO.

I also just remembered Rogue had one crocodile death as well. The CGI lions were bad but it was overall decent.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next