Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Best Horror Movie of All Time 
Devil's Advocate

Post The Best Horror Movie of All Time
The genre has been embattled quality wise, but which is the best.

I think I’d say The Exorcist with Halloween, Psycho and the Ring up there.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:11 am
now we know

Post Re: The Best Horror Movie of All Time
It's so hard to choose the absolute best or even your favourites because of how genres merge. What is horror exactly? Like, is Predator considered a horror movie? Is it an acceptable pick? Is From Dusk Till Dawn? Is The Terminator? So I've chosen ten based on what most people would consider horror movies:

American Psycho, Dog Soldiers, From Dusk Till Dawn, Halloween (1978), John Carpenter's Vampires, Paranormal Activity 2, Paranormal Activity 3, Predator, Saw, and Scream.

Of course, these are chosen for different reasons, not because they're the most scary. Though some have genuined petrified me, such as the Paranormal Activity movies. The Strangers also scared me but doesn't make the list. Eden Lake repulsed me and this doesn't make the list. It's never as simple as Most Scary = Best Horror.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:28 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: The Best Horror Movie of All Time
Good time for this thread since I rewatched most (but not all) of my favorites this spooky season rather than plowing through a new series like usual (blame Leprechaun for this... I just couldn't take another one.)

It's been a long time for some of these. And I was pretty sure I'd have a new #1 by the end of it ... but that didn't happen. Still the reigning, defending, undisputed champion of horror is...

1. The Shining
2. Scream
3. An American Werewolf In London
4. Halloween
5. Jaws
6. Evil Dead 2
7. The Descent
8. Train To Busan
9. Alien
10. Deep Blue Sea
11. Rec
12. Final Destination 2
13. A Nightmare On Elm Street

Did not include: Shaun of the Dead or The Menu as I consider them comedies not horror. Same with Aliens and Attack The Block as sci-fi actioners.

While I gave most of these 5 stars (or 4.5 at the lowest) , The Shining is a level above the rest. It is such a wild movie that is pretending to be a slow-burning bore while disturbing shit is subtly (or not subtly) happening in every scene. Not only did the recent rewatch place it firmly #1 among horrors, but I think I'd bump it into my top 5 all-time of any genre.

Scream is the best series.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre fell out of the top 13 and was replaced by Nightmare. Psycho fell out too cause I did not feel like rewatching it but it could return at any moment! Keep on your guard, Mr. Krueger.

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]