Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Once popular actors/actresses whose careers went nowhere 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Once popular actors/actresses whose careers went nowhere
I don't disagree with that. I think he is very charismatic and has done a lot with very underwritten roles. He just never really crossed over into Lead actor category, and any time he has he's always been more to the background (hairspray, Anchorman, etc) He always leaves a fine unmemorable stamp.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:11 pm
100% That Bitch

Katherine Heigl? She was huge for like a second and then bombed
Also I bet my virginity that Kit Harrington will dissapear now that Thrones is over, hell get cast in some action films and then flop forever

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am
Devil's Advocate

Heigl ruined her own career by being a nightmare diva on set

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 pm
Veteran

Liv Tyler
Chris O'Donnell
Brendan Fraser
Guy Pearce

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 pm
Keeping it Light

I think Guy Pearce is still doing well and I'm not sure how much more could be expected from him.

O'Donnell and Fraser, surely there's a point.

And Liv Tyler, idk, she was always more model/ actress than actress/ model imo.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 am
Superfreak

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Then I thought of Josh Hartnett. Hollywod really tried hard to make him a star. He started with Halloween H20 and The Faculty and then landed a leading role in Pearl Harbor, which was supposed to be his big break. Leading roles in 40 Days and 40 Nights, Black Hawk Down and Hollywood Homicide followed. Seemingly he has been quite popular in the first half of the last decade. But then he just slowly disappeared into oblivion. I mean I just realized that 30 days and 30 Nights was his last film to open in more than one (!) theatre - and that was six years ago! It's not like he's hitting it big on TV either...

Watched both "Pearl Harbor" (not good movie though amazing attack sequence) and Slevin (very good) with the wife earlier this year and had a bizarre moment where I was like "wtf happened to this guy?". His time at the top was brief for sure, but his peak was really, really high. I remember he was everywhere in 2001 and 2002. Could be perception but he felt bigger - more hyped - than many of the other people in this thread.

My wife says his character in Pearl was among the most attractive characters she could remember thanks to Michael Bay's aggressive use of bronzer, lighting and camera angles. He also was pretty damn good in some of his roles, particularly Sleven where he really gives off a young Brad Pitt vibe. He could have easily gone the Brad Pitt route as a handsome, mild-mannered type who takes roles normally not meant for pretty boys but instead he apparently he fled the Hollywood scene and returned to live in countryville Minnesota.

There is an alternate universe where Michael Bay directed Josh Hartnett as Superman with Anthony Hopkins as Jor-el circa summer 2004/2005 and it is likely a massive hit.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:22 am
Superfreak

Weird that a few days after writing that post, Josh Hartnett and this very subject are on the front page of yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jos ... 28693.html

He was ahead of his time with recognizing the toll that fame takes on ones mental health & choosing to prioritize his personal well-being over celebrity status. He was HUGE at one time.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:02 am
Veteran

Yes, Josh Hartnett is a good example.
Thora Birch is another.
I know Courtney Cox has stayed busy but her career could have been bigger coming off of Friends.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Cannibal fetishist Armie Hammer about to join this list

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:52 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Cannibal fetishist Armie Hammer about to join this list

Was he ever popular?

Sat May 08, 2021 5:32 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah I don’t think Armie ever looked to become a star. Felt like one failure after another.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm
Veteran

I feel like George Clooney's career could have been bigger. 20 years ago he checked all the superstar checkboxes (charisma, looks, pedigree). His career has been nothing to sneeze at but I never felt that Clooney reached A-lister heights.

Fri May 28, 2021 9:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Clooney came into fame when he was old and after he won his Oscar he sort off lost the drive to go out of the way and do more acting. I think he is more of a writer/director now which is fine.

Fri May 28, 2021 11:32 pm
Hold the door!

Clooney is a tabloid star like Angelina and Brad moreso than someone famous for their actual films.

Sat May 29, 2021 1:07 am

Lol, what? Clooney had one of the hottest streaks coming out of TV of all places, and that's after surviving the worst Batman film that should have killed everyone's career.

His career shifted from leading man sure (He's in his 60s now, but if he wanted to make another Ocean's film it'd be green lit tomorrow) but he easily has some of the most powerful pull in Hollywood today.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat May 29, 2021 4:59 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't see how Clooney is just a tabloid star. He still has a great career and constantly appears in big budget solo led films like Midnight Sky while still maintaining a good writing and directing career.

Sat May 29, 2021 7:08 pm

And he has 2 Academy Awards, and part of the reason a film like Gravity was even made. He reminds me a lot of Michael Douglas, always more interested in the business despite being a extremely recognizable talent as well. And he has set him self up for any kind of role. He can come back at any time and crush it in a thriller, drama, even action or something quirky with the Coens. This is a conversation that could have been had if never did anything after The Perfect Storm.

It's interesting a lot of the names on this list shows you really are one role away from being back in the game. I'd like to make a list of all time career comebacks.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat May 29, 2021 7:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Clooney did fine for in my opinion, a good but not amazing acting talent, who was probably born in the wrong era.

Sun May 30, 2021 12:01 am
Superfreak

There is definite truth to the Clooney argument. He was definitely more famous than he was a box office draw. He def. has pull in Hollywood for whatever reason but from his track record, it isn't really justified.

The Oceans don't even count. Costarring Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts in prime? Remake of a popular film released during the holidays? The Perfect Storm was a big disaster movie. Gravity he has nothing to do with. When he had to carry the concept, he was really one box office flop after another. Leatherheads, Solaris, Intolerable Cruelty, The Good German, The American? Tomorrowland was the nail in the coffin.

Sun May 30, 2021 12:33 am

Lol, ok Excel. The big twist was that George Clooney wasn't the star of Gravity. But he sells one of the greatest trailers of all time. I don't even like Gravity, but you're picking apart his filmography like he didn't use to command 20+ a film. And Ocean's Eleven is an ensemble, but it's his ensemble. That series doesn't work without him. Brad Pitt wasn't Brad Pitt yet and Damon was still wet behind the ears in 2001. Roberts had a small role in those films.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 am
Devil's Advocate

On the topic of this thread I'm glad to see that Fassbender is working with some good directors in Waititi, Fincher and Gibson, after the Snowman he gave me a "future DTV guy" vibe but it looks like he's turned down the temptation and didn't make anything the last four years except Dark Phoenix. Vikander's imdb doesn't look promising though.

Sun May 30, 2021 1:15 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Fassbender was famous for sure but Vikander was/is not popular. Also both of them were never A-list or had phases were they were a draw.

Sun May 30, 2021 1:16 am
Superfreak

Thegun wrote:
you're picking apart his filmography like he didn't use to command 20+ a film. And Ocean's Eleven is an ensemble, but it's his ensemble. That series doesn't work without him.

I thought Clooney was great in the films, but don't like they would not have been hits without him in the lead role.

I am not arguing he was a nobody, but he was not close to the Cruise/Smith level of bankability yet his pay and fame would suggest he was.

Quote:
Brad Pitt wasn't Brad Pitt yet and Damon was still wet behind the ears in 2001. Roberts had a small role in those films.

What? This is Pitt while married to Aniston, post Fight Club. He was an insanely big name. Damon was very famous in his own right at that point. Obviously Roberts was bigger than them all at that time.

Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Right but that’s not the point of the thread, the title is pretty self explanatory. Questioning an a lister on whether he should have been bigger is irrelevant, Clooney is obviously one of personal choice. This is more for like Orlando Bloom. He did nothing to change is trajectory. I figured after 20 years he’d have one non pirates/ Lotr hit. He couldn’t even fall into another ensemble pic like Troy or Black Hawk Down.

And Oceans made Brad Pitt. Fight Club and snatch weren’t released until oceans was in production. He was still in the Meet Joe Black, Legends of the Fall era of his career that ended around early 2001. Clooney was coming off of Perfect Storm, three kings, thin red line, and o brother. Oceans was Taylor made for him especially after Out of Sight and he was still starting on a top 10 show until 2000

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon May 31, 2021 3:48 am
Indiana Jones IV

may not fit this exactly but Patrick Swayze totally fell off the map after Point Break

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next