Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Silence of the Lambs - One of the Best Films Ever 
Hot Fuss

Post Silence of the Lambs - One of the Best Films Ever
Silence of the Lambs has got to be one of my favorite movies ever. After reviewing it last night, I was once again reminded of the excellent job done by the actors and director in this movie. Jonathan Demme’s direction is supurb, to me. He captures the humanity of Agent Starling, the inner struggles she fights with. Anthony Hopkins plays Dr. Lecter with precision. The crisp acting is perfect, and his scenes with the amazing Judie Foster are amazing. One of the best performances of a supporting actor, however, came from Ted Levine, who was simply horrifying as Buffalo Bill. His acting chops are proven to be quite strong, as he tries to deal with facing the reality of his crimes, as he ponders killing more, and as he is overcome with insanity. The film was pure brilliance, and very much belongs on my top ten list. Some call it over-rated, but in my opinion, the actors and director of this film deserved their oscars. I think that Jodie Foster, Ted Levine, and Anthony Hopkins will forever be remembered for their job in this perfect horror film.

Who else thinks that, if anything, the acting in this movie was superb? It has got to be one of the best films of the 1990's.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Ill have to disagree with you on this one, i hated it. Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lecter were crap, i wanted more to happen. Also, the acting was terrible, especially from Anthony Hopkins, sorry, just despise that guy.

Jodie Foster, talk about wooden too.

Red Dragon rules, even Hannibal rules compared to this shit.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I thought it was a masterpiece. Hannibal was a big letdown for me (the book was much, much better) and Red Dragon was just good. Not great like Silence.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Silence of the Lambs is indeed one of the best films ever. The mood it set up is perfect, and I love the three conversations between Clarie and Lecter. The performances are incredible all-around, with Hopkins's Lecter becoming one of the enduring figures in the 90's. I love it, and was very disappointed with Hannibal, when it lost all the artistic and dramatic stuff and become a gore-fest.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Silence of the Lambs is indeed one of the best films ever. The mood it set up is perfect, and I love the three conversations between Clarie and Lecter. The performances are incredible all-around, with Hopkins's Lecter becoming one of the enduring figures in the 90's. I love it, and was very disappointed with Hannibal, when it lost all the artistic and dramatic stuff and become a gore-fest.

Exactly. The mood was serene. You actually felt for Clarice in SOTL... in Hannibal, she was played with little or no depth. It was gore, it was all style and no substance. SOTL is perfect because underneath the story there are very believable, humane characters. It was extremely well done. :)

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Yup, it's definently an excellent film. Though I love the whole series.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:13 pm
life begins now

Yep, great film. They both deserved their Oscar's that year. Hannibal was good, but not great. I didn't like the fact that they recasted Clarice, even though Julianne Moore is fantastic. I wish Jodie would've returned.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:00 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

It is a great movie. In fact I think it is one of two movies in history to win all five major awards. (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay). I am not sure which was the other one.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excellent movie, one of Jonathan Demme's best movies. That's saying something since I think Demme is one of the best directors of the past two decades (and definately since the 90's). Almost everything he's done is excellent and Lambs beats even all of those.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:50 pm
Hot Fuss

It is a great movie. In fact I think it is one of two movies in history to win all five major awards. (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay). I am not sure which was the other one.

If memory serves, it twas "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in 76....

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Excellent movie, one of Jonathan Demme's best movies. That's saying something since I think Demme is one of the best directors of the past two decades (and definately since the 90's). Almost everything he's done is excellent and Lambs beats even all of those.

I agree with you on one more movie. Philadelphia was excellent.

Didn't he make a really bad movie with Thandie Newton and Wahlberg recently?

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

The Truth About Charly. Yech.

Yuck is right :lol:

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I agree with you on one more movie. Philadelphia was excellent.

Didn't he make a really bad movie with Thandie Newton and Wahlberg recently?

Yeah, it was a remake of Charade (Hepburn, Grant) look everyone makes mistakes. :wink:

Philadelphia had some problems for me, but mostly was an exceptional film that brought alot of issues to the forefront of medical field (or I've been informed by someone who was in public health at the time).

jb007, did you see The Agronomist and the remake of Manchurian Candidate this past year? Both were by him as well, and were very different. Agronomist was really a new film for him to do and he handled it very well. Even his choice of subject is interesting.

He also did Beloved, Swimming to Cambodia, and Stop Making Sense Plus he did Married to the Mob which is one of my guilty pleasure movies that is better done than most people give it credit for.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:06 am
Veteran

jb007, did you see The Agronomist and the remake of Manchurian Candidate this past year? Both were by him as well, and were very different. Agronomist was really a new film for him to do and he handled it very well. Even his choice of subject is interesting.

He also did Beloved, Swimming to Cambodia, and Stop Making Sense Plus he did Married to the Mob which is one of my guilty pleasure movies that is better done than most people give it credit for.

I did see the Manchurian Candidate. It is fairly decent. Married to the mob was good. I think he peaked in Silence of the Lambs. But again he followed that with Philadelphia. Anybody that makes those two movies is one of the best directors IMHO :)

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:18 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Ill have to disagree with you on this one, i hated it. Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lecter were crap, i wanted more to happen. Also, the acting was terrible, especially from Anthony Hopkins, sorry, just despise that guy.

Your comment might just go down as the dumbest fucking comment and opinion of this I've ever seen in my life on this site.. :lol: Your clearly, CLEARLY in the minority on this one and the acting in this movie was top fucking notch and everyone deserved the Oscars they won for this film you twit.. :roll:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Algren wrote:

[b]Your comment might just go down as the dumbest fucking comment and opinion of this I've ever seen in my life on this site.. :lol: Your clearly, CLEARLY in the minority on this one and the acting in this movie was top fucking notch and everyone deserved the Oscars they won for this film you twit.. :roll: [/b]

I agree.

:lol: :lol:

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]