Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Blockbuster's new fiasco 
Commander and Chef

dolcevita wrote:
Some site is going to set up a film archive/bank, and you'll be able to connect your computer to the tv, and whenever you want to see a movie you will go to the archive, select the movie, and it will feed directly to your t.v. right when you want it. Hey, we'll be fatter and lazier since now we don't even need to leave the house to get in-house entertainment, and we'll become increasingly alienated by the thought of actually having to talk to a real life person, but you know you win some you lose some.
Quote:

You think so? Lets be reminded that homegrocer.com went bankrupt by trying to give us the convience of shopping online instead of a supermarket. If people are that lazy and we order everything online, places like Frys and Best Buy would go bellyup. A video store is just less than half mile away and I would rather rent the movies I want right now as opposed to wait for it on mail for a couple of days. Its not that difficult. As for direct streaming, its super slow and most of the time I have server lag either from their server or my isp. It would not catch on for another 5 years

yes but the difference is that companies such as netflix and zip.ca have been around for some time, actually have a very big share of the market now and people use them all the time ... theyre actually a direct threat that wont exist in the future but is already there!!

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:
Some site is going to set up a film archive/bank, and you'll be able to connect your computer to the tv, and whenever you want to see a movie you will go to the archive, select the movie, and it will feed directly to your t.v. right when you want it. Hey, we'll be fatter and lazier since now we don't even need to leave the house to get in-house entertainment, and we'll become increasingly alienated by the thought of actually having to talk to a real life person, but you know you win some you lose some.

You think so? Lets be reminded that homegrocer.com went bankrupt by trying to give us the convience of shopping online instead of a supermarket. If people are that lazy and we order everything online, places like Frys and Best Buy would go bellyup. A video store is just less than half mile away and I would rather rent the movies I want right now as opposed to wait for it on mail for a couple of days. Its not that difficult. As for direct streaming, its super slow and most of the time I have server lag either from their server or my isp. It would not catch on for another 5 years

No this is different than both of those. 1. People do their own grocery shopping because they like to "inspect" their food, and don't trust a random person to pick them the freshest grapes and tomatoes that are in the stack. 2. This is going to be more than mailing I said. It will be a connection between your tv and your computer, so that you can place a rental order to a film bank 5 minutes before you want to see the movie, the site will charge three bucks to your credit card (on-line account) and then they'll just send you the stream, which will play directly to your tv via the computer. No mailing, no late fees, no getting up of your lazy ass and having to peruse the stacks of a video store. But on the other hand...excellent selection and the above stated minimal hassles.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:14 pm
Commander and Chef

Dolce, i believe WB and other studios are already trying to implement what you speak of ... so its not that much of a stretch at all.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I don't see why people would be upset over being charged full price when that is probably less than they would pay in late fees. Blockbluser late fees are huge.
I've only returned one video late once (2 days I think) and it was like $4 total. How much is Blockbuster?

I admit, I don't rent movies at all. I don't like being in the store because it's all soccer moms and screeching children. And the employees were really rude when I forgot to check a bag at the counter.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

[quote="Erendis"]I've only returned one video late once (2 days I think) and it was like $4 total. How much is Blockbuster?

[quote]

I have been charged the full price of $4.00 for having a movie late one hour at Blockbuster. I despise Blockbuster because they charge the full price of 4 bucks for movies that are even older than 3 years old when I can rent them much cheaper for a dollar at the mom n pop stores

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:11 pm
Commander and Chef

i once had to pay them 23 dllars. 5 days late or something.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

i once had to pay them 23 dllars. 5 days late or something.

bastards.....

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:33 pm
Angels & Demons

also, anyone who expects to buy these dvds at normal price is crazy. blockbuster is sold these dvds at a 100 bucks for a normal dvd unlike the rest of us .. so expect to pay atleast half that amount .. again, its speculation but theres no way you're getting it for the same price.

This isn't true for dvds. Blockbuster would charge the suggested retail, which is usually $19.99 or so. You are thinking of the old school days (when I used to work there) when most video tapes were "rental priced" (around $100) for a good six months before going to "sell-through pricing" ($20). There are still some rental priced VHS titles, but they have come down considerably.

Our late fines were $2 a day back then. They have since gone to rechecking the movie out ($4), which sucks for people that are only a day or two late. I'm not sure how this new plan will fly. It sounds like there's too many holes in the process to me.

http://www.ez1productions.com

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2