Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 *Smoke Signals* 
Extraordinary

Post *Smoke Signals*
Everyone knows I have mentioned this movie before. I saw it a few years ago, so don't speak about it very succinctly. I really remember loving it though, and have decided to do my paper for a class on it. Its a short paper, and i took out some books today, but I'll be rewatching the movie this week and wanted to know if anyone else here has seen this spectacular little gem of a movie. Screenplay was adapted from Sherman Alexie's (sp?) series The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. I know Alexie has a pretty big name in contemporary literature, though i haven't read any of his books yet.

I hope some of you get a chance to see this movie. I might retract this all after I rewatch it, but i doubt it. This was not a movie I had preconceived notions on, as it was a title I pulled off the shelf having heard nothing about the movie before. I was definately won over by it.

Anyone seen/heard about it?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:04 am
Extraordinary

Started my research paper, found this interesting page about the movie out of one of the boos I was reading, thought it might be interesting to post.

Wiping the War Paint off the Lens wrote:

When Chris Eyre sat in the director's chair for Smoke Signals in 1998, he was the first Native American to direct a major release film since Edwin Carewe's brief career ended in the 1920'd. Smoke Signals, distributed by Miramax, premiered at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival, where it received the Filmmaker's Trophy and the Audiance Award. The elite film audiences there who voted for the Native American film, and the support for the film by a major distributor, have helped to reposition Native American participation in filmmaking....

The production of Smoke Signals demonstrated that American Indians can make a good commercial product while telling a good story with Indians as the central characters. For too long, Native Americans have been viewed as activists and positioned as opponents of mainstream white filmmakers. Because we have not been privy to the feature filmmaking industry that is Hollywood, too much attention has been given to our advocating against a mindset that had precluded full Indian participation in filmmaking since its inception...pg.61

Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:54 pm
Extraordinary

Finished rewatching it today. It really is an interesting "road trip" movie. Basically these two guys that have never gotten along all that well, but have the common bond of surviving a huge housefire when they were just babies. One of them has the money to get to Phoenix and says he'll pay for their travels as long as he gets to come along. Of course they have clashing personalities, but they end up having gone through a rough experience that brought them closer together. It doesn't say they remain friends or anything like that, though since they go to school together its implied they'll keep seeing eachother. Very tough ending but touching, and an excellent movie. Probably an A-, I'll have to work on the full review soon.

Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 pm
Extraordinary

Interesting to note, when I was watching the movie today there is a scene were Victor (as a little boy) is asked who his favorite Indian is. He vehemently replies "Nobody" to his father. His father is played by Gary Farmer. For anyone that isn't familiar with Farmer, he also played "Nobody" in Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man. To this day books I read about colonization and film always shed Dead Man in a much brighter light than any other Anglo-produced feature (more than Dances with Wolves, Little Big Man, and much more than Black Robe).

Smoke Signals is the first movie to have full writing, direction, and co-production by Native Americans and I found it interesting how they snuch the Jarmusch reference in there so subtly. I thought about it when I was watching the movie, but didn't think it was a direct reference. Now that I'm working on a review and paper I stumbled upon this trivia fact that confirmed what I really hadn't consciously articulated.

Quote:
When Arnold (Gary Farmer) asks Victor of who is his favourite indian, Victor replies 'nobody' which makes Arnold furious. Interesting to note though, is the fact that the name of Gary Farmer's character in Dead Man (1995) is 'Nobody'.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:59 am
Site Owner

::noone but dolce rocking in a chair talking to herself::

::looks around again to see who shes talking to::

::quickly runs away before she sees him::

:)

The movie looks rather corny to me... but if it did that well at sundance maybe it is pretty good.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Link to my full review: http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142&start=75

More info, from a paper I wrapped up:

Quote:
...With consistent depictions in film as being people only present in history and not contemporary North American society, Native American culture and filmmaking have struggled to work into the national conscious. Casey Camp Horinek (Ponca) noted at a Native American video and film festival, “When you look back twenty years ago, when the media blitzes were on Wounded Knee, and you think about a time ten years ago when we weren’t getting our voices heard in virtually any way…Look at five years ago, four years ago, and three years ago…(7)” Indigenous film has had to overcome insurmountable obstacles, many of those obstacles having been erected through their previous film characterization, in order to push Smoke Signals through to completion.

Michael Apted, the director responsible for the 1992 documentary Incident at Oglala (1975 reoccupation of Wounded Knee) remarked that there would never be an Indian director in the United States due to “infrastructure” problems(8). Sandra Osawa responded, “Well, its not the infrastructure…I believe it has something to do with racism(9).” Production funding for projects is limited to this day, despite the relative financial success and breakthrough of Smoke Signals. The Mashantucket Pequots of Connecticut are currently entertaining plans to underwrite film projects by other Native American filmmakers in the hopes of providing the funding for native film that would otherwise be denied, apparently due to lack of “infrastructure(10).”

7.Singer Pg.62
8.Singer. Pg.62
9.Singer. Pg. 62
10.Churchill. Pg. 206

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:39 pm
Forum General

I saw it some time ago and thought it was great.

I should watch it again.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Having read Alexie's Reservation Blues in my ethnic/minority lit class this semester (and actually just having writing my final paper on it), I decided to watch this for the first time since it came out on video.

While I still think the film is good, I think it ultimately only scratches the surface of what a lot of Alexie's stuff explores. I understand that Alexie couldn't write all of his works' themes into the film, but the film felt almost slight to me, only exploring the facets of alcoholism and parental neglect, whereas Blues, for instance, explores such themes much more deeply.

I'm still a fan, though.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]