Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Once -- was enough! 
Forum General

Post Re: Once -- was enough!
makeshift wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
I'll take it. :thumbsup:

I won't.

The narrative (or "story") of the movie isn't important, and it shouldn't be docked because of a perceived deficiency in it. The content of Once is found in the music and the camera. If you need a typical narrative structure to facilitate your enjoyment of a movie --- eek!.

Hmm.. I should elaborate a tad more. I also realize I came off not liking the movie in my post and that was not how I felt.

I thought the movie was good. And I don't disagree that the music was all it needed. It worked. It was very good. I liked it. I was just, I guess, expecting more from the film itself SOLELY based on all the praise and such. I knew the music was a big part of the movie, I just wasn't expecting it to mostly be the movie. And in that regard I was a bit underwhelmed. But I definitely enjoyed it and it helped alot that it was probably my most comfortable movie-theatre watching experience ever. :wink:

*listening to soundtrack as we post*

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:46 pm
Teenage Dream

:funny:

I'll take it now, too. Begrudgingly of course.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 pm
Forum General

Glad to hear! :wink:

So which song(s) do you think have the best chance at a nomination/win?

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

makeshift wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

I won't.

The narrative (or "story") of the movie isn't important, and it shouldn't be docked because of a perceived deficiency in it. The content of Once is found in the music and the camera. If you need a typical narrative structure to facilitate your enjoyment of a movie --- eek!.

I'd disagree with that, but if Once can get equally big fans for its style as well as its meat, it might just be unstoppable. :thumbsup: Both corners covered!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 pm
Team Kris

Raffiki wrote:

Oh and Christian: apparently, 3 weeks ago they both came to the landmark and performed in that wine lounge.

WHAT?!!? :mad:

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:18 pm
Forum General

Christian wrote:
Raffiki wrote:

Oh and Christian: apparently, 3 weeks ago they both came to the landmark and performed in that wine lounge.

WHAT?!!? :mad:

Yep. One of the worker bees told me while trying to make small talk as I waited for my pizza. Their margarita pizza wasn't bad at all. But wayyy overpriced.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:02 am
Extra on the Ordinary

Shack wrote:
makeshift wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

I won't.

I'd disagree with that, but if Once can get equally big fans for its style as well as its meat, it might just be unstoppable. :thumbsup: Both corners covered!

People are ignoring the fact that at the end of the day it plays like your average musical (even if it's better than your average musical and breaks away from many of its conventions) . Plot and character development are advanced THROUGH the music, it isn't there just to sound pretty in the background.

Best Actress 2008

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

For me if Once wasn't a musical, it'd still be the best movie of the year by far... that's the biggest compliment I can give to the meat of the movie.

Once is at its base about that once in a lifetime meeting, you find someone, you instantly connect, then you move on and regret it forever. It's one of the ultimate "what could have been" stories, where the two don't get what they probably should.

The two are also probably the most likeable couplet I've ever seen in a movie. The dialogue and slow reveal of each other to one another, done perfectly. At its heart the movie really is just two people bonding... something we all do.

I fell in love with the people in this, to be honest. Also the reason the music works so well as Rod said, was because of the characters singing them. The song where he sings over the video of his ex, that worked a thousand times better because of the emotions going through him. Ditto Falling Slowly, it's almost literal. And so on. The fact that it actually felt like them singing too, perfect.

I don't know, I just loved Once and I can't say or think enough about it. Probably a movie that'll end in my pantheon, it's right up there.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:28 pm
No Wire Tampons!

my best friend and her sister were fans of those involved and went to see it premiere in glasgow.
They liked it, but not too much. And this is even with the hoopla of meeting the stars and seeing it first. Thats not a good sign imo. Esp since they are usually lovers of arthouse and indie.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

I thought Once was pleasant, but a bit of a non-event. Which I wasn't expecting due to all the love it gets. It's just another indie type movie with lovable losers and singer songwriter alterna folk songs.

I recognized the romance, but I didn't feel it.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Roo's last sentence mostly applies to my experience of it too.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:17 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Here are my detailed thoughts:

Quote:
B+

Well, I went in with pretty high expectations and while I didn't come out disappointed, I also wasn't nearly as blown away as some people were here (my girlfriend really loved it, though).

irst of all, while I knew that this movie would be primarily about the songs and the music, I didn't actually expect it to have THAT many songs in it. Basically the song-to-dialogue ration seemed to be 4:1 or so. Thank God the songs all ranged from decent to great, so I didn't mind as much, but it was still something I had to get used to. As for the storyline, I thought it was really well-done. Someone mentioned the word "real" here and that's exactly how it felt to me. It was a very real romance with a sadly real ending to. Very often it verged on clichéd and fantasy, but it never actually crossed the line. There's no happy ending in a typical sense of the word, but it is not very sad either (Guy goes to London finally, Girl gets her piano and husband back). The romance is real (doesn't end happily for the two), yet some bits are clichéd (how often would it happen this way and get this far anyway after a coincidental talk in the streets). I thought the movie did a very fine job walking this fine line between harsh reality and romantic fantasy.

That said, unlike many others here for most of the time I just failed to connect with the characters. The relationshi is well-built and all, yet for most of the film I felt no chemistry between the leads. You know what, though? As the ending arrived and Guy has to leave Dublin and can't even say a proper goodbye to girl...that's when it hit me hard and made me realize how much chemistry they've had throughout. It was just such a gradual development that I didn't noice until the very end which left me feeling a bit sad, yet happy at the same time.

The performances by our leads are good, but I just say that Markéta Irglová outshined Glen hansard in al of the scenes there were in together. There's some kind of an innocent charm to her, I'm not sure I can put it into words. (by the way, I was very surprised to find out that she was just 18 when shooting this film! She came across as somewhat older and I'd have never realized that the age difference between her and Hansard is actually 18 years). Hansard's performance was quite standard.

As for the songs, "Falling Slowly" is the CLEAR stand-out. The scene when they were play/sing it together is just so beautiful. I'm very happy it won the Oscar, what a well-deserving win! Loved it. The other songs in the film are, well, some are good, othersjust okay. I think there were too many of them in the film, but some here will probably disagree. I wish the thing had more dialogue, but I guess that was the point of the film, to not have much of it and convey all the feelings through music. It's an interesting approach, but also one I justdon't fully agree with.

Overall, it looks like my review almost sounds a bit better than my grade, so I definitely need to revisit this movie at some later point before I can settle on my final grade.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2