Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Australian film festival - 11/1 - Cate Blanchett Day 
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Australian film festival - 11/1 - Cate Blanchett Day
The Australian films you have to see during the festival. Seriously guys, how sub-title tolerant are we?

The five you have to look out for:

SOMERSAULT - Drugs, naked Australians, tears, heartbreak. Get me now!!!
LITTLE FISH - Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving in the same movie. Oooo!!!
THE PROPOSITION - A Nick Cave film. A film that you've heard of, but too lazy to see!
ALEXANDRA'S PROJECT - Have a surprise!!! The least you know the better.
WOLF CREEK - One for the mainstream folk!
MOULIN ROUGE - Baz the legend!

Aussie films to look out for in the coming months.

CANDY - The movie Heath Ledger did when he accepted Brokeback Mountain
TEN CANOES - Who can beat dolce to the box office?
SURBURBAN MAYHEM
2:37

Films you have to see because they have Aussie connections.

THE PRESTIGE
FUR - THE IMAGINARY PORTRAIT OF DIANE ARBUS
BABEL
TURISTAS
CATCH A FIRE

-Check back during the week for some articles and some information. Please attempt to see one of the above movies listed in the five, preferably one you haven't seen.

Last edited by getluv on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:58 pm
Extraordinary

Excellent. I've liked all the movies you've been giving me heads-up on coming to theatres. You have a good eye for this. Otherwise, it would just be a Baz-athon if anyone else was hosting. :biggrin: Can't wait to hear more from you once you're feeling better.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Ok, so it looks like STRICTLY BALLROOM is a miss.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:36 pm
Extraordinary

Ok, so it looks like STRICTLY BALLROOM is a miss.

Never! I can't tell if you're being serious. I really liked Baz's earlier work, Ballroom, Romio+Juliet even more than his recent movies.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Dolce, I've got some interesting films you should watch out for. TEN CANOES, from Rolf De Heer, is the first Australian feature film spoken in traditional Aboriginal language for the entire film. And it's been pre-selected for Best Foriegn Picture at the Oscars.

Is the fall weather making you depressed. Why don't you see CANDY, starring Heath Ledger and Geoffrey Rush. Really disturbing. It comes out on the 17th of November.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:52 pm
htm

Next thing you know he will tell us Priscilla is off the list. :roll:

:tongue:

To get K-Gay interested (or maybe disinterested, heh):

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNcarJbKV8w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Oh, come on. Not only is it one of the funniest movies of all time, dare I say there is some interesting social commentary AND great cinematography of the Australian landscape AND wonderful costume design (Oscar-noticed).

Don't let me down. :cry:

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:14 am
Extraordinary

I already saw Little Fish the first weekend it came out on theatres due to your recommendation. The Proposition too, I remember us talking about.

I'm grabbing Somersault, but I have to ask, what is this Ten Canoes about? I can try to get my hands on it, but seeing as how most of my line-up is rather severe (or horrendous) I'm wondering if its a lighter flick? I've never heard of it.

Moulin Rouge has to be the worst Baz flick of them all! But anyways, that point will be discussed at a later date...after Friday.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:19 am

Ten Canoes is about an Aboriginal community, in the "longtime ago".

http://www.tencanoes.com.au/tencanoes/default.htm

The website is pretty good. I found the film very funny in parts and it's quite interesting to see a rare Aboriginal film like this. I don't know the actual theatricial release date in America, but it is playing at the Milwaukee Film Festival. It's won a lot of awards and recommendations. Check out the rottentomatoes page. It played at the Toronto film festival a few weeks ago.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 am
You must have big rats

I think getluv and I are the only people on here who really liked Wolf Creek.

I'll rent Somersault. Heard good things about it.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Ever heard of some guy named Peter Weir? :blink:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:45 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Peter WHO??? :unsure:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 pm
Extraordinary

Ten Canoes is about an Aboriginal community, in the "longtime ago".

http://www.tencanoes.com.au/tencanoes/default.htm

The website is pretty good. I found the film very funny in parts and it's quite interesting to see a rare Aboriginal film like this. I don't know the actual theatricial release date in America, but it is playing at the Milwaukee Film Festival. It's won a lot of awards and recommendations. Check out the rottentomatoes page. It played at the Toronto film festival a few weeks ago.

I swear David Gulpilil is the Wes Studi of Australian films.

No release date here, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:05 pm
htm

Levy wrote:

Peter WHO??? :unsure:

Seriously. Some hack, apparently.

Moulin Rouge the worst? I'd say that title goes to Romeo + Juliet, but that isn't for here, is it?

I'm interested in seeing thoughts on Sommersault. I've been hearing raves from people all over the world, especially about the cinematography, so I might be able to squeeze that into my viewing cycle. Perhaps. Good stuff, G (I'm so tempted to call you by that other name, heh).

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:17 pm

ALEXANDRA'S PROJECT is for people who enjoy Gus Van Sant sort of movies.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Good stuff, G.

:disgust:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:44 pm
Extraordinary

Somersault is readily available here. I just put it on reserve in our library catalogue, and we don't have the best DVD collection, and tend to get things of this nature a little late, so I'm pretty sure its readily available in video stores and netflix at this point. Can't wait until I pick it up later this week.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:52 pm
You must have big rats

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The casting choise, I already think is a bit odd. The lead actress looks old for the part, but maybe I'm just used to a different aesthetic for representing teenagers in films.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:00 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Everyone should watch Picnic at Hanging Rock. It's that aforementioned Weir dude. And it's amazing.

I'm hoping to re-watch it this week.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:10 pm
You must have big rats

Just found out that my video store also got Little Fish. Will be renting it on Tuesday probably.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hmmm. Ten Canoes is Australia's official selection for Oscar submission this year. I think this wouldn't have happened if the rules hadn't just been reformed, right? Looks good for it, though. I'm pretty sure it'll at least get nominated, what do you think getluv?

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:25 pm
Squee

I blind bought The Proposition (and then watched it). Saw Wolf Creek on Starz, and went to see The Prestige last night!

I feel like Im participating, yaaaaay!!

:glare:

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 pm
Extraordinary

I blind bought The Proposition (and then watched it). Saw Wolf Creek on Starz, and went to see The Prestige last night!

I feel like Im participating, yaaaaay!!

What did you think of The Proposition?

Quote:
Proposition
By: Galia Halpern

Often in the experience of Westerns, one forgets about the other Anglo frontier...Australia; but not John Hillcoat and Nick Cave. The two men are the respective director and scriptwriter/composer for The Proposition. They pool their talents to create a space of decay and abandon where even ambition and morality fester with the rancid smell of flesh wounds and swarmed flies. The Proposition is nothing if not a study in fluid violence and dark tones. The film is heavily managed by the director, and the words carefully chosen for its screenplay. Expect a visceral experience at the very least.

There's a fine line between a film that is poetic and one that is lyrical, and The Proposition toes that very line. Its gritty aesthetic and terse lines are matched only by the raw premise of the piece, but the clarity of its space doesn't necessarily translate into anything more profound. Charlie Burns (Guy Pierce) and his younger brother Mike are arrested and beaten by Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone). Stanley offers Charlie a chance to clear his and the younger brother's names if Charlie will kill his infamous elder brother Arthur before Christmas. With nine days on the clock Charlie sets out to shoot Arthur; the man responsible for the rape and murder of a pregnant woman along with two of her family members.

Stanley and Charlie both spend the week suffering from moral dilemma. The former believes in the captive youngest son's innocence, but the town hankers for retribution over the brutal death of three of its kinsmen. Stanley's wife Martha (Emily Watson) slowly wheedles out information about the raped and murdered woman, whom she considered a good friend. In a moment of anger and distress she joins the bloodthirsty crowds in clamoring for the youngest son's flagellation in the public square. Stanley and Martha are probably the most sympathetic characters in the film. Unlike their counterparts on the other side of the law, the two exhibit a wide range of emotions, and they represent both the best and worst of the British-Australian middlemen. Watson stands out especially in her role as Martha. She is given just enough screen time to blindly grope her way through disappointment, depression, boredom, dedication, love, trauma, anger, self-realization, love, and fear…in that order.

Their Anglo-Australian vigilante counterparts speak barely a word and reek of debased isolation. Everyone complains about the desolation of the Australian outback using the most abrasive vulgarity and habits to express their growing discontent. Aboriginal players in the Burns capture game play second fiddle with the exception of David Gulpilil (best known for his role in Rabbit-Proof Fence), who plays a local army assistant. The undertone of racial clash throughout the settlements hovers in the background, adding to the intensity of the movie's setting if not its themes.

Charlie, on the other hand, has to decide between turning on his older brother and saving his younger one. He sets off determinedly with the love of Mike on his mind, but suffers from confusion and conscience as he travels through the dessert searching for Arthur. Arthur, on the other hand, is full of it. The man espouses familial dedication while staring down the barrel and dropping his pants. He is not completely a "bad guy," but he's certainly got quite a few days of trekking through the wilderness before he gets to be even close ton a “good” one. His way is the endless cycle of violence, and long after he has settled vengeance he transcends his bloody acts with lust and hunger. He pays retribution on his offenders and then heaps additional pain on everyone within arm's length. He is a moral dilemma Charlie must face under the grueling heat of the sun.

For anyone that is familiar with Cave's music, The Proposition might not be that big a surprise. Much like his work, including the movie’s soundtrack, the film is easy to appreciate but hard to get into. It is a rough viewing experience, and intentionally so. It is bloody, ill, bleached, and aggressive. To some the movie will be riveting while to others it will inch along at snail pace and clock in at a fictitious two and a half hours. The timing and characterization fit into each other nicely, however, but the film certainly has the cult effect of performing more than being, and at times remains aloof in its heavy-handedness. The Proposition is a case study in style, setting, and an exploration of atmosphere. It is respectable, but ultimately not all that cerebral.

Grade: B+

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:06 pm
Squee

Slow paced at times, but the score, oh the score, it makes up for that. It reminds me of when I was watching The Good The Bad and The Ugly and there was this scene where the 3 main guys were just staring at each other for 5 minutes, not saying anything, but the music kept building up and building up until finally they all pulled their guns and fired. The music made what could have been a "Come ON already and DO IT!" scene into a fantastic scene.

I loved the atmosphere as well. Dark movie that just kept building and building up to the final payoff which was well done.

Best movie of the year so far for me.

**** is what I gave it.

(Keep in mind I've seen.... like 10 movies this year)

:glare:

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next