Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Scandinavian Film Festival 
You must have big rats

Post Scandinavian Film Festival
Well, after having hosted two Asian horror festivals in a row, I figured it's time for a change. Then I realized how no one has ever covered the beautiful marketplace that is Scandinavia (didn't want t stick with only one country). What do we think of first when we think of Scnainavian films? One name comes to my mind:

Ingmar Bergman

Yeah,. get ready for some depressing times.

But the modern Scandinavian film goes beyond that as well, especially with its nice array of dark comedies.

More is to come on this thread, but this is a preliminary list of films (to be finished later):

Ingmar Bergman selection:

Fanny and Alexander
Cries and Whispers
Face to Face
The Virgin Spring (which believe it or not was "reworked" as Last House on the Left!)
Wild Strawberrys
The Seventh Seal
Persona
Smiles

The rest:

Breaking The Waves
Show Me Love
Lilja 4-ever
Festen (The Celebration)
The Idiots
Italian for Beginners
Mifune's Last Song
Flickering Lights
Dancer in the Dark
Together
Evil
The Green Butchers
Old Men in New Cars
In China They Eat Dogs
Adam's Apples
I am Dina
Nightwatch (1994)
Pusher
Pusher II
Pusher III
Elling
As in Heaven

Should be enough for now :)

I am also still looking for a co-host. If anyone's interested, please lemme know!

My Movie Night Selection:

BREAKING THE WAVES - OCTOBER 26th

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I just watched Persona for the first time Saturday. Not exactly my favorite Bergman...

Not everything is depressing! I think anyone interested in this festival (Listening, Lecter?) should be forced, by gun point if necessary, to watch Bergman's delightful comedy Smiles of a Summer Night! Or, hell, even The Magic Flute. But mostly Smiles.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:32 am
You must have big rats

I just watched Persona for the first time Saturday. Not exactly my favorite Bergman...

Not everything is depressing! I think anyone interested in this festival (Listening, Lecter?) should be forced, by gun point if necessary, to watch Bergman's delightful comedy Smiles of a Summer Night! Or, hell, even The Magic Flute. But mostly Smiles.

Sure, I just don't know how easy (or not) it is to get those films. Pretty much impossible for me to get the rare Bergman ones here.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm not sure how rare Smiles is there, but it's one of the most readily available here in the states, on Criterion DVD.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:36 am
Extraordinary

This is incredible. You know, I had no idea what you were going to come up with, this is fantastic.

I guess now is as good a time as any to admit I've never seen a Bergman film. :blush:

But I've seen alot of Dogme 95. For you Lecter, I recommend The Idiots (since you seem to have seen alot of Von Trier).

The Celebration, which I thought was truly gripping and disturbing, what did you think? I can't wait to duscuss it with you when the festival starts, and I hope some others get to see it too.

Ok, I will watch Seventh Seal, definately, and Fanny and Alexander is a good second viewing?

Also, when you're ready, pick a "movie night" vilm, and let me know, so I can put it into the schedule.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:05 pm
Team Kris

I guess now is as good a time as any to admit I've never seen a Bergman film. :blush:

I *think* the only Bergman I've seen is Autumn Sonata. :oops:

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm
Kypade

I also recently saw Persona for the first time within the past week or so. And I also wasn't as blown away as I'd have expected. Still better than Cries and Whispers though. :O

And I just picked up The Virgin Spring from the library (along with 8 1/2 - figure it's about time I give it another (and proper) viewing), so I'll at least be seeing that one. Dancer in the Dark is near the top of my queue, I think, hopefully I can get to that, too.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 pm
You must have big rats

I will look out for a co-host for you!

This is incredible. You know, I had no idea what you were going to come up with, this is fantastic.

But I've seen alot of Dogme 95. For you Lecter, I recommend The Idiots (since you seem to have seen alot of Von Trier).

The Celebration, which I thought was truly gripping and disturbing, what did you think? I can't wait to duscuss it with you when the festival starts, and I hope some others get to see it too.

Ok, I will watch Seventh Seal, definately, and Fanny and Alexander is a good second viewing?

Also, when you're ready, pick a "movie night" vilm, and let me know, so I can put it into the schedule.

I'm not a fan of The Idiots, that's why I left it out :P Then again, I need to see it again, the last viewing is a bit ago. The Celebration is better :) I am still pondering about that movie night film. But speaking of Dogme 95, I should add Italian for Beginners (you probably saw that one!) and Mifune's Last Song.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

The swedish box-office hit "As in Heaven" is quite good. Made by a director who took a sabbatical for 18 years after Olof Palme was murdered on the night his last movie was released.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

I'm not a fan of The Idiots, that's why I left it out :P Then again, I need to see it again, the last viewing is a bit ago. The Celebration is better :) I am still pondering about that movie night film. But speaking of Dogme 95, I should add Italian for Beginners (you probably saw that one!) and Mifune's Last Song.

I liked Celebration much more as well. I was just suggesting Idiots if you wanted to see more of Von Trier's work.

I did see Italian for Beginners. I thought it was cute. But its kind of more Danish than Italian in my mind, because its pretty much Danish adults learning Italian and going on a trip. The director, actors, etc, are mostly Danish. You want me to include it in mine, or you want to put it here. Its technically Dogme, and has the budget restrictions, etc.

I've never heard of Mifune's Last Song.

No rush on the pick, whenever you're ready just announce it in your thread and I'll know to add it.

Levy, I've never heard of As in Heaven. Is it out in theatres now? Who is Olof Palme?....

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:41 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
dolcevita wrote:

I liked Celebration much more as well. I was just suggesting Idiots if you wanted to see more of Von Trier's work.

I did see Italian for Beginners. I thought it was cute. But its kind of more Danish than Italian in my mind, because its pretty much Danish adults learning Italian and going on a trip. The director, actors, etc, are mostly Danish. You want me to include it in mine, or you want to put it here. Its technically Dogme, and has the budget restrictions, etc.

I've never heard of Mifune's Last Song.

No rush on the pick, whenever you're ready just announce it in your thread and I'll know to add it.

Levy, I've never heard of As in Heaven. Is it out in theatres now? Who is Olof Palme?....

Mifune's Last Song is one of the first Dogme 95 films as well, supposedly a pretty good one too, but I haven't seen it. Italian for Beginners is certainly Dogme, included it in my list :)

I am also including As in Heaven. Can't believe I forgot that one. I is quite a smash hit here in Germany. It was also nominated for Best Foreign Picture in 2005, but I'm not sure whether it ended up being released in the US.

Olof Palme was Sweden's Prime Minister.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
htm

I have been dying to see Dancer in the Dark, which I have heard so much about. I'd be interested in participating in a movie night if there is enough interest in it, though most likely many have already seen it.

Lilya 4-ever is a horrible movie in the sense that it is utterly depressing. Seeing her abandoned by her mother (who leaves for America, leaving teenage Lilya to fend for herself in Russia (?)) and turning to her new "boyfriend" (and the ensuing drama...) is absolutely crushing. Despite the less than ideal production values, the film is incredibly touching. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm
You must have big rats

Too bad Shad doesn't seem to be posting here anymore. Unless I'm mistaken, he's the only Scandinavian here. Would be great to have him co-host (especially seeing that none else is willing :( )

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Head Above Water
Brothers
Pathfinder

plus what about the Kaurismäkis?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:57 pm
You must have big rats

Some more possibilities:

Head Above Water
Brothers
Pathfinder

plus what about the Kaurismäkis?

I exclude Finland :)

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hey Artur, have any idea what your "movie night" selection is going to be yet? I'm updating the schedule, so please let me know as soon as you can. :smile:

I put Seventh Seal on hold at the library just to get me started. Can't wait 'til Friday!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 am
You must have big rats

Just decided on my Movie Night selection.

THURSDAY OCT. 26th: Breaking the Waves

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Ooh, Dancer in the Dark is on your list. Excellent. I'll have to post my complete thoughts on the film as I just recently saw it. I'm still working on the rest of Von Trier's works, having now seen the first two parts of America: Land of Opportunities (strangely absent from your selections) as well as Dancer in the Dark...

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:14 pm
You must have big rats

Ooh, Dancer in the Dark is on your list. Excellent. I'll have to post my complete thoughts on the film as I just recently saw it. I'm still working on the rest of Von Trier's works, having now seen the first two parts of America: Land of Opportunities (strangely absent from your selections) as well as Dancer in the Dark...

They were too "American" for my taste with the cast and all...Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark still feel more European.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueONE wrote:

They were too "American" for my taste with the cast and all...Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark still feel more European.

Hmm...I could see that, sort of. Dancer in the Dark is set in America though. And the only real foreign actress is Bjork am I wrong?

Just odd. Your choice of course. I just think all things Von Trier should be included. Dogville was a masterpiece.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
RogueONE wrote:

Hmm...I could see that, sort of. Dancer in the Dark is set in America though. And the only real foreign actress is Bjork am I wrong?

Just odd. Your choice of course. I just think all things Von Trier should be included. Dogville was a masterpiece.

But Dancer in the Dark doesn't have that much of an American feel to it. It's like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly which is technically Italian, but I still can't bring myself to consider it foreign.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Post Breaking the Waves
I was going to try to rewatch this but haven't had time. It's been a couple of years since but I do really like it.

I love Lars von Trier, in fact I can't really think of a director since Luis Bunuel that has done social films with such skill. This is one of is best films with an amazing performance by Emily Watson. The setting in this movie is my favorite among Lars Von Trier films. It's hard to explain but there's something that feels right about it with the Biblical theme in the movie.

A

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I put a hold in the library for Seventh Seal. It came in Thursday, when I went to go pick it up they'de accidentally lent it to someone else! What bad luck! :mad:

Now I need to wait again. I might need to break down and go find a rental place to get it, because the one I was supposed to might take three weeks to come back in now.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:51 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I haven't seen it in about five years (and was unable to get my hands on a copy this week), but The Seventh Seal was a big milestone for me, the first of the international 'film canon' I really saw. I was deeply, deeply affected by it.

The final shot (I think it was the final shot) is as good as it gets.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:52 pm
Extraordinary

This is interesting. I was just searching for Ingrid Bergman on IMDb and wonder if to start a thread asking about his films.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]