Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Classic Foreign Film Discussion 
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Classic Foreign Film Discussion
We can use this thread to discuss Bergman, Fellini, etc. in the future. Well, outside of the int'l film festival, that is. :)

But the real reason I made the thread is this: I need to pick a Netflix DVD tonight, and I'm jonesing for a movie from one of the international "titans;" the Truffauts, Kurosawas, Godards, Bergmans, etc. of the world. And I think I've chosen...Fellini's The White Sheik. But I want to know: has anyone here seen it? Should I go with it? Dolcevita?

Does anyone have a better suggestion? It's gotta be fairly short, like White Sheik; my schedule this week is scary. Any help, you cinema geniuses, you?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:10 pm
Extraordinary

Sadly, I haven't seen White Shiek. But I have an excuse! It was out of print and only got distribution once it was released in DVD a year or two (maybe three) ago. I didn't have a DVD player until this year. I will be seeing it. Its one of the few, along with Amarcord (I know...I know) that I haven't seen. Amarcord because at the time all the VHS versions I could get my hands on were dubbed. Saw ffiteen minutes and almost shot myself. Its not that I am that opposed to dibbing, but I am so familiar with Marcello's voice that hearing another drove me nuts. I will be trying to watch Amarcord to kick off the upcoming festival (#rd annual, woohoo).

If you haven't seen Nights of Cabiria...I would *beg* you to see it.

If you're up for another Classic that is shockingly not Italian, I would also recommend Marcel Camus' Black Orpheus, which you may remember i included a still of in the dolcepoints rounds.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:38 pm
Madoshi

Fellini is not a favourite of mine, so I can't help there.

Since you mentioned Bergman however: Persona. One of my all time favorites. On the plus side the run time is under 90M. The downside is it is a film that requires repeat viewings.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Well, I went with White Sheik despite deathawk's perfectly reasonable suggestion of Persona (a heavy Bergman is not what I need at the moment, I'm afraid. Looking for something lighter. Maybe next week). I'll report back on how it goes over.

And dolce, I have indeed seen Black Orpheus. Twice. First, in a course i took on International Film...and I fell asleep. And of what I did see, I was unimpressed. But sleep is a tricky thing. I watched it again a few months later, fully awake and at the urging of a friend from the class, and I was pretty damn blown away. A visual and aural delight. And there's nothing else quite like it. I just bought the DVD a few weeks back. And it was one of only two or three photos in dolcepoints that I identified immediately upon seeing it! I was so damn happy. :)

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:45 pm
Team Kris

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 am
Madoshi

What did you think?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It is sitting on top of my DVD player, good sir. I'm finally done with my godawful summer job, so now I have lots and lots of time for movies. Today or tomorrow, it will be watched.

And I've got Persona next in the queue.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:23 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Well, weeks later, after briefly believing the DVD to be lost, I finally got around to watching The White Sheik this afternoon. And I’m flying. This film was a deeply, deeply pleasurable experience.

Briefly, the film was about a couple on their honeymoon in Rome. Ivan, the husband, has the trip planned to the smallest detail, with sightseeing, family members, and an all-important meeting with the friggin’ pope! Wanda, his new bride, feels overwhelmed and frightened by all this, so she chooses to run off and meet her hero, Fernando Rivoli, AKA The White Sheik. She doesn’t intend to be gone long but, *gasp*, things get out of hand quickly.

Now I haven’t seen all that much Fellini (La Strada, Satyricon, half of 8 ½, about 20 minutes of Amarcord), so I don’t know how this fits into his filmography exactly, but I was surprised by the cheerfulness of the film. It’s like The Purple Rose of Cairo if Woody Allen wouldn’t have been such a downbeat, pessimistic son-of-a-bitch. Like that film, The White Sheik (Lo Sceicco bianco) seems to be primarily about the nature of illusion; namely, that illusion is awesome, but it’s just that: illusion. Unlike the aforementioned Woody picture, it uses that fact not to emphasize the pain and despair and hopelessness (Geez, Woody) of real life, but to argue that maybe, just maybe, our illusions have left us blind and our lives are a lot better than we think. La Strada this ain’t. (On the other hand, I suppose one could easily have a more pessimistic reading of the ending. But I don't know, I left feeling good for the characters...I don't know. In other words, it's a good ending!).

Most importantly, the movie was just funny, funny, funny, with great performances all around (especially by Leopoldo Trieste, as the jilted husband…he killed me and, luckily, he had a lot of screen time). Giulietta Masina shows up for a scene as Cabiria, adds a special glow to the film, and leaves just as quickly. As a result, Dolce, I’ll be catching Nights of Cabiria very fucking soon.

Technically, the film was what you’d expect, with Rome cinematography that screams “Fellini” from every pore, and the accompanying Nino Rota score.

I imagine it’s a minor work is the Fellini canon, but man, all ‘minor works’ should give me the high this one did. This underrated, underseen picture (not even by dolcevita!) is highly, highly recommended.

Now, in the sense of true Hannity & Colmes bi-partisanship (teehee), I present an imdb review I just found as counterpoint:

Asshole on Imdb...believe it or not, they exist! wrote:
I recently viewed this movie and was left in awe at the sheer awfulness that this film portrayed. You would actually have to compliment the writers for making such a disgusting film, because to my knowledge no being who had any semblence of dignity could be capable of making such a horrible movie. Translations from the attempt at italian in this movie were terrible. In conclusion, avoid this film at all costs.

I realize opinions vary, but this review bears no similarity to what I just watched. Honestly, I think he posted for the wrong movie. 'Disgusting?' That can't even begin to apply to this thing, in any universe.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 pm
Extraordinary

As a result, Dolce, I’ll be catching Nights of Cabiria very fucking soon...

Um, YAY! Hey, if Makeshift is actually watching it very soon too, and I've been trying to get Chris and lennier to watch it, maybe we can pull together a good 'ol fashion movie night like we used to do for Argento and Romero?

Anyone be interested?

Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:04 pm
Teenage Dream

yoshue wrote:

Um, YAY! Hey, if Makeshift is actually watching it very soon too, and I've been trying to get Chris and lennier to watch it, maybe we can pull together a good 'ol fashion movie night like we used to do for Argento and Romero?

Anyone be interested?

I got my copy today, so whenever you guys would be able to do it, I'm up for it.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:11 pm
htm

You make me feel so lazy! You've been pressuring for years! :biggrin: I promise I will watch it within 7 days. I promise.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 pm
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:
yoshue wrote:

Anyone be interested?

I got my copy today, so whenever you guys would be able to do it, I'm up for it.

I own it, so its not a problem for me. :biggrin: Hmmm, well how long to you have it for makeshift? If lennier can really get it in the next seven days, maybe we can motivate to all watch it next weekend? But if you have to return it before then, just watch it now and let us know what you thought and we'll contribute as we all slowly (re)watch it. yoshue? chris? You guys think you can get it anytime soon, heh?

Last edited by dolcevita on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:05 am
I'm Batman

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:07 am
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
dolcevita wrote:
yoshue wrote:

Anyone be interested?

I own it, so its not a problem for me. :biggrin: Hmmm, well how long to you have it for makeshift? If lennier can really get it in the next seven days, maybe we can motivate to all watch it next weekend? But if you have to return it before then, just watch it now and let us know what you thought and we'll contribute as we all slowly (re)watch it. yoshue? chris? You guys think you can get it anytime soon, heh?

Well, it's from Netflix, so I can technically keep it as long as I want. The only issue is they won't send me a new film in it's place for as long as I have it.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:30 am
life begins now

I can get it as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday if I get it shipped on Monday through Blockbuster.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile YIM
life begins now

Of coure they didn't send this (my 1st choice). I should get it this week, though.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
life begins now

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:08 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Finally saw Amarcord. I have to say, not my favorite Fellini, Bl&W or Color. I realize this film was a huge transition for him, because it was his first feature length color film, and I do think his color was a strength, but in the meantime, dare I say it, he got a little bit lazy in some spots with the actual staging, shooting, choreography, editting, etc. Still, nice characterization, and near the end the entire scene when the fog has set in is great. Gradisca's red dress and how she's always wearing that slanted hat are great. He definately does a good job building this vague kind of nostalgia and memory. Especially when Mussolini comes to town. Its an odd "memory" and Fellini is somehow not condemning of the hometown...as though he's seeing it through a distant lens, or as though he was still a little boy. But yeah, part of the film seemed unaddressed, which is rare for this director. As far as color movies go, I still liked Juliet of the Spirits, Casanova, Ginger and Fred, Intervista better. But Amarcord was better than stuff like Orchestra Rehearsal, Satyricon, and And The Ship Sails On.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]