Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Spanish Language Film Festival 
htm

Great to hear! I'll be watching The Flower of My Secret Tonight and Seven Beauties very soon. Right now I'm enjoying some quality time with the 3 disc Brazil set I indulged in today. :blush:

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm
Extraordinary

Ok. Just finished A Little Princess. It was ok. Cute, but nothing out of this world. I liked it enough, and it never got overy sugarey...while the girls were still sweet, but I was a little bored. Thought maybe they should have elaborated on the scene where the headmistress freaks out after Sara asks her if her father ever told her she was a princess.

Overall though, I liked some of the quality, and except for the horrible Rahmayana scenes (those were the days were cgi had a ways to go, eh?) it was well crafted visually. Thats half set design and half Emmanuel Lubezki, whom I love.

I need to remind myself this is a family movie, and for that its quite cute. I like the scene where they steal the locket from the head mistress by having that girl fake a screaming temper tantrum, and when the assistant runs away witht he milkman. There was nothing I could point out in the movie that I disliked, I just didn't love it. I think they could have made a couple more fleshed out characters in the girls school. How they all ended up there. Maybe go into why the heavy one's father "wanted her to fit in" even though he didn't. Could have been a great commentary on aspiration towards upward mobility, etc.

I liked Tuck Everlasting better. :oops:

Nice to try it out though, see more of Cuaron's early work.

B-

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:39 pm
htm

Did you see Great Expectations? Just curious...

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:43 pm
Extraordinary

No, why do you ask? Did it suffer from some of the same story/dialogue problems? I wouldn't think so as they've got Dickens right there to work with.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:49 pm
htm

zennier wrote:

No, why do you ask? Did it suffer from some of the same story/dialogue problems? I wouldn't think so as they've got Dickens right there to work with.

Unfortunately, yes. It's one of those films you can't praise as the next great thing because it falls so hard at times due to some weak dialogue. It is quite the modern take on Dickens, not retaining much from the original. Paltrow's character suffers from particularly weak writing and comes off as frail and indifferent instead of cold - a fine line, of course. Cuaron and Lubezki have left their mark, the soundtrack is superb, and the story *works* but it isn't the masterpiece it could have been had they gone through one more rewrite. If you get a chance after the festival (I understand you want to see more films from other nations), please send your thoughts along. I'm a huge fan and I'm sure you'll at the very least enjoy it. Here is a short clip from it if you are interested (damn you tube for being so convenient)... one of my favorites, an exchange between Anne Bancroft and Ethan Hawke that parallels an earlier scene between them. Works very well in context of the picture:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYSo-GrKnpY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 pm
htm

For the final weekend of the festival, I'll be watching one more Almodovar film. I've decided to review "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" based on wonderful reviews. I'd love to hear comments from other Almodovar fans (Rod! Come on! Andrew? Dar? Christian?) if you guys can get ahold of it. I realize we are all busy and there are many other festivals going on now, but nonetheless: let's close this year out with another successful series of reviews!

I'll be putting up all the details (where to get it, why to watch) to persuade you to run out and rent it! I'll also find time to review The Flower of My Secret, which was another great film from Almodovar. Considering it wasn't nearly as praised by critics as films like Talk to Her or All About Her Mother, I see it as a gem of sorts. If anyone has seen it, leave some comments!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and thanks for making this year a hit!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18 pm
htm

Excellent, i have in my pile to watch:
La Mala Educacion
Todo Sobre Mi Madre
Hable Con Ella
Maria Full of Grace

And have previously seen:
Los Diarios de Motocicleta
Y Tu Mama Tambien (THANK YOU ROD :D)

Which happen to be two of my favourite films ever. Some great choices there, i'll hopefully be watching La Mala Educacion over the weekend. I may be able to see the others over the course of the festival, but can't promise anything. I've also got Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside) by Alejandro Amenábar in the pile, which came very highly recommended to me.

I'm seeing Volver tomorrow for the second time, so it'll be interesting to see how other Almodovar films stand up to it as i get to see them.

Any updates? I am particularly interested in seeing how Volver relates to Almodovar's earlier work. :biggrin:

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Extraordinary

Anyone ever seen the movie Spirit of the Beehive? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070040/

It just came in on Criterion Collection to our library, so I borrowed it. Looks good. I haven't really ever seen any movies from Spain pre-1980s. I'll try to watch it this weekend and post my thoughts.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm
htm

It sounds really interesting (read the trivia...). I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

I'm having a shortened week due to a charette I will be at all day Friday, meaning I have to do all my work for that day ahead of time. Essentially, I won't be free to finish the reviews I promised until then. Forgive me, everyone (if anyone is still reading? :sad: ).

I look forward to some thoughts, dolce!

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:09 pm
Extraordinary

Who is going to give Spanish Film Festival the first review of Pedro's newest? Hopefully someone can, that way we get information for it here before anyone else in the forums or site does. This thread deserves it.

Lookin' closer to a BP Oscar nom every day.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:05 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Well I was lucky to catch Volver 2 weeks ago when it came to my local cinema and I immediately considered KJ and got my sorry ass into the theatre. And this is my intial impression.

Pedro Almodóvar is a man known of producing movies that concentrate highly on the situations of females in dead ends and Volver is no different.

Volver is a world of women oppressed in a manner by there man and Cruz's character is the ultimate counterweight. They all seem angry and unsatisfied with there situation and act out in various ways with Cruz's been the most violent (in mind but not body that would be another). As I have just said Almodóvar is at heart a person who understands female frustration with some of the rigid systems of rural spainish life (which reflect rural life elsewere very well).

Both the characters of Raimunda, Paula and others are very believable drowning in relationship/marriages that they neither love nor want and dealing with past abuse's that haunt them. and the impish level of humour that is sprinkiled thruout the movie help to lend a sense of levity to the proceeding. but in the end it proves both its success and undoing. Almodóvar,s writing is very sharp but the characters never elicet real respect or love at least for me. they are just people trapped in unhappy situations and no matter how unhappy it may be killing isn't an answer,(they reasons for the killing is very justifiable but I still have trouble with the whole set-up. probably due to my problems with the directors direction) (there is a mairiad of sub-plots also which I won't get into for fear of a spoiler but they all work along the same line as the main one) And Cruz despite her best efforts never truly convinces as a simple Spainish Midlands wife, her glamour is to aparrent.

Overall Volver is an enjoyable film but far from the masterpiece some have decreed. Maybe im to ignorent of Almodóvar to truly get it but I guess thats just me. Good but not great.

B

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:44 am
htm

Thanks for the review - it perfectly coincides with Volver's release here. Any members going to see it soon? I'll know very soon if it is expanding to West Florida, but I doubt it.

The reviews are absolutely glowing at this point, many calling it Almodovar's best. Cruz is also getting quite a bit of buzz. As for Almodovar, I watched "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" on thursday evening and was impressed. Definitely another Almodovar "dramedy" with the typical sex-craved relative, homosexual child, drug-obsessed characters, etc. Carmen Maura is the main star of the film, doing an excellent job as Gloria. She can be seen in Volver as Irene. The direction isn't as skillful as it is (in my opinion) in recent works like "Talk to Her" or even "Bad Education". This is more of a slice of life piece like All About My Mother, but not as polished or funny. Still worth a look for aficionados and fans of Almodovar. B+

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:38 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Post The Flower of my Secret quick thoughts
It is a well made film, but I can also see why it doesn't stand among Almodovar's best. It's often lacks focus and in general is not as engaging as some of his other films such as All About My Mother. Great use of color as always, some very funny moments, and interesting observations save the film though.

B-

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Post Re: The Flower of my Secret quick thoughts
Rod wrote:
It is a well made film, but I can also see why it doesn't stand among Almodovar's best. It's often lacks focus and in general is not as engaging as some of his other films such as All About My Mother. Great use of color as always, some very funny moments, and interesting observations save the film though.

B-

Wow! I totally didn't expect to see another review! Thanks so much...

The use of color is definitely my favorite aspect of Almodovar's films. Of course, I like other quirks (mainly, the drag queens. Come on, they are fun! Did you notice them here? They made a cameo when Leo was on a date with her editor...) but the color is always there... both in terms of the scenery and the characters. Leo, I noticed, always wore red. One of the best scenes was when Leo had the breakdown in the crowd of protesters and the confetti (or was it flower petals?) flew up into the air of Madrid. Stunning photography.

This has to be Almodovar's most down to Earth, "normal" projects. It stays away from the drug addicts, the homosexuals, etc and instead focuses on a woman struggling with her career, her husband, and her family. A rather simple story, yes, but I too found it at least funny and somewhat insightful. It's extremely well crafted and all the actors deliver. It is one of those films I could see myself enjoying over and over, like In Her Shoes. For that reason, I raised by grade to an A-, although my instincts tell me it isn't quite the masterpiece. Almodovar doesn't always deliver a masterpiece, but his films are nonetheless masterful, if that makes sense. He makes the best use of scenery, color, music, acting, and even a simple story. This was a very good film, though far from his strongest.

Thanks again for watching. I really appreciate it. :happy:

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:29 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

And really liked the way the protest/collapse sequence was filmed as well.

Now watch The Devil's Backbone and let me know what you think ;)

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
htm

This year has been a tremendous success compared to our first years thanks to some fantastic participation from several of you! I will definitely be recommending a prize to dolce for several participants. Again, thank you very much. We've managed to get more activity than ever before... this year has been a resounding success, and quite a bit of thanks goes to dolce for organizing the festival and the prizes!

Not only has 2006 been a great chance for the KJ Film Festival to grow, this has been a tremendous year for the Latin and Spanish directors we have been discussing for years to break out. Almodovar, always the highlight of our activities, has delivered Volver, which has scored outstanding marks from even the most selective critics. There is talk that not only will Volver take the Best Foreign Language Oscar, it may be a contender for other awards! Imagine, Almodovar with a BP award or another writing trophy. Also to come out of Volver with quite a bit of press is Penelope Cruz, who has been amassing quite a bit of attention for her roll as Raimunda. Cruz may not be nominated for an Academy Award, but she is sure to garner some attention among the critic's circuit and won't be forgotten for long. I expect her to win an Oscar before leaving Hollywood.

Not only is Almodovar gaining press, the director of 21 Grams and Amores Perros completes his trilogy of gritty, acclaimed films this year with Babel. Alejandro Inarritu's film, produced by Brad Pitt (who is also gaining press for his supporting role), starts the likes of an acclaimed international cast. Mexico's Gael Garcia Bernal (also in the spotlight after staring in Gondry's Science of Sleep earlier this year) rounds out an amazing cast. This film should do very well at the box office, increasing the exposure for Inarritu and Bernal.

Who can forget Guillermo del Toro, who broke out in 2004 with Hellboy. This year, his newest film, Pan's Labyrinth is being released. The Spanish language fantasy picture is raising quite a bit of buzz, so far earning perfect reviews from critics. initial reviews and trailers suggest it should, at the very least, be a contender for several "technical" Oscars.

Yet another director we've focused on this year, our favorite Alfonso Cuaron of Mexico is releasing the science fiction film Children of Men. Reviews have suggested Americans are in for a treat this winter when it is released, and the idea of an Oscar nomination has been tossed around. Whether or not Children is nominated means little, however - Cuaron will only be increasing his fame and weight as an internationally acclaimed director. It has been wonderful to seem him progress from small films like A Little Princess to Great Expectations, then to Y Tu Mama Tambien, and now to blockbuster hits like Prisoner of Azkaban and now Children of Men. With him he has brought a much needed sense of style to Hollywood, and his future potential has yet to be reached.

We could discuss the endless amount of Latin and Spanish directors, actors, producers, musicians, and screenwriters striking it big this year: 2006 has presented a wonderful opportunity, perhaps the biggest yet, for Spanish filmmakers to broaden their horizons and share their masterful passion for filmmaking with a greater audience. For now, the sky is the limit. I look forward to at the very least participating in next year's festival, and discussing what is sure to be a great year for Spanish filmmakers to share their vision.

Again, thank you so very much for participating. I look forward to seeing everyone return for another year.

Sincerely,
Zac Taylor

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 pm
htm

I did notice the drag queens :)

And really liked the way the protest/collapse sequence was filmed as well.

Now watch The Devil's Backbone and let me know what you think ;)

I had it on the queue for last year without much success, but since you have followed all of my recommendations, I promise to watch it soon. Although the festival ends officially today, I'm sure dolce will let us continue some discussion. :tongue:

Anyway, glad you noticed the queens - as random as they were... good to know Almodovar has his priorities straight. Leo's mother was also very funny ("crab face!" :lol: ) and provided some thoughtful advice to Leo at the end.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4