Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Manderlay looks interesting on every level 
Christian's #1 Fan

Well it just opened at a theater down the road from my apartment so I'll try and check it out this week.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:32 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

So, saw it on DVD today...I posted my review in the forum, let me dig it up and repost it. Anyone else get a chance to see this?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:42 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

...it was an incredibly frustrating film on all levels. In some ways it had a lot more potential then was realized. To me, it started out with the slavery but somehow in the middle it got lost with its more philosophical pandering and then the last thirty minutes or so became a very heavy-handed critique of America's post-slavery humanitarianism (or lack thereof).

I was especially dissapointed with the post-film photograph-laced credits as they really did not fit with the rest of the film. They were powerful in their own right, yes, but they didn't fit into the context of the film.

I guess, in some ways if the film hadn't been focused on America, and instead followed more of the critique in how the slaves just desired to not blame themselves, it would have worked better. Or, maybe if it had followed through with its heavy handed political commentary, albeit it would have to be a bit more focused, it could have worked. Instead, it sort of gets muddled by trying to address both issues. Dogville worked much better as an examination of human tendacies, and I expected the same from Manderlay, which is why I would have preferred the government specific context to be left out.

As far as the cast, I agree it isn't very notable except for Glover and Howard. Glover was good, but he has certainly delivered other, better performances in the past. Howard was spectacular, comparing her to Kidman though is difficult as they are such vastly different actresses. I think Kidman showed more maturity in her role, but then again compare the screen credits and age and that isn't hard to understand.

The sound stage this time around worked well, as others have said it wasn't as integral to the film as it was in Dogville but it still worked well. I think the stylism of the film worked well with the content, which kept the focus on the dialogue and the points Van Trier was trying to make rather then on visual spectacal.

I'm still interested in Washington, but I don't have as much expectation for it as I did for Manderlay after seeing Dogville.

I'd give the film a B though overall, a far cry from the A I gave to Dogville.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2