Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Half Nelson: Down for the Count! 
Extraordinary

Post Half Nelson: Down for the Count!
Here's another one of those earnestly "true" tales that revels/writhes in the sordid details of the negative side of "life's dialectic", which therefore strongly reminded me of The Squid and the Whale, another movie that underwhelmed me with it's dishonest honesty. Yeah, yeah -- it's exactly how it happened, I'm sure - but what does that tell us about what really happened?

The soundtrack by Broken Social Scene is way heavy and way disjointed, just like the movie.

It's a mess. The director, I'm sure hopes that he's fooling us with his vérité style, but unfortunately he's wrong and we're not...

2 out of 5.

(dv has her review for this movie posted in WOKJ's review section, but I couldn't find a review thread in the forums - so here it is...)

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 am
Extraordinary

This means i'll like it.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:51 am
Extraordinary

I didn't see it as a "true" tale nearly as much as I thought it was a play on expectations. All past movies have been about someone from the "outside" coming in to "save" lousy schools with misguided youth. In Half Nelson, its that perceived urban, misguided youth, that actually "saves" the "outsider," and in the process the pressures of where they both work slowly bring their paths together in a way where they both recognize their actions.

Can't tell if Killi will like it because I did, or because bradley didn't?...

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:05 pm
htm

I've been wondering if I should see this, and, frankly, I am almost always in agreement with dolce (who I owe a N.oC. review). This starts in Tampa on September 22. I'm making a date and dragging a friend along (the theatre is enormous and quite scary).

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:05 pm
Forum General

Didn't think it was anything extraordinary but I thought it was decent. I'd probably give it a B+.

I really want to see Sherrybaby and am just DYING to see Volver. I just saw All About My Mother for the first time tonight and I absolutely loved it.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 am
htm

I saw this a week ago.

Didn't think it was anything extraordinary but I thought it was decent. I'd probably give it a B+.

I really want to see Sherrybaby and am just DYING to see Volver. I just saw All About My Mother for the first time tonight and I absolutely loved it.

All About My Mother is one of the greatest melodramas/comedies of all time! And to think - you got to see it on the big screen!

< Jealous.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:55 pm
Extraordinary

Raffiki wrote:
I saw this a week ago.

All About My Mother is one of the greatest melodramas/comedies of all time! And to think - you got to see it on the big screen!

< Jealous.

Raff? You've been going to Viva Pedro?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:51 pm
Forum General

zennier wrote:
Raffiki wrote:
I saw this a week ago.

< Jealous.

Raff? You've been going to Viva Pedro?

I have been wanting to and was about to go to All About My Mother but missed out on the one time I could that week. I rented it via netflix. But, I still want to see at least one of his films on the big screen... and one that I haven't seen.

I've seen Talk to Her and Bad Education when they were out in theatres. And now with AAMM, I've only seen those 3 Almodovar films. I absolutely love his work.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:18 pm
Cream of the Crop

All About My Mother is brilliant indeed ;) All Pedro's movies I've seen are great so far...

But the topic is about Half Nelson, eheh... I'm really interested in this - even more now that bradley didn't like it (kidding...) :tongue:

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]