Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 95th Academy Award Nominations 
Romosexual!

Post Re: 95th Academy Award Nominations
JAMES CAMERON NOT GETTING BEST DIRECTOR IS BULLSHIT!!!! :disgust:

Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Michelle Yeoh strikes me as someone that would gladly inflict physical punishment on her house servants if it were legal. I predict lots of passive aggressive complaining in the media when Cate Blanchett inevitably snatches the Oscar.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 pm
Extraordinary

Here's a fun stat, it's the first time best actor has all first time nominees since the 1930s!

Nice to see them recognize some new faces since usually its the same old group.

Also looks like Howard Stern has ALOT of influence on Andrea Riseborough getting a best actress nom. If she managed to slide a nomination I wonder if she even has even a remote chance at a Marissa Tomei type upset. Not likely but her campaign seems its backed by A-listers so people might watch it just to get invited to A-list screenings.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235308100/

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
Michelle Yeoh strikes me as someone that would gladly inflict physical punishment on her house servants if it were legal.

What makes you think that? I've always thought of her as a very nice person.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Looking at last year's nominations has me feeling much better about this year. At the very least it looks like the voters actually watched the films instead of just voting for their friends.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:20 pm

I agree with Dan Murrell in that the biggest snub was Top Gun for Cinematography. I mean it gets adapted screenplay but not cinematography which appeared to be the best aspect to it as a film!?

Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:59 pm
Extraordinary

90% of the coverage I saw about Oscar nods started out with TGM before EEAOW.

It's universally loved but if it gets top 3 on most ballots does it have a shot?

Agreed on the cinematography points. That was the most epic piece of the movie!

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Appears it's over for Top Gun after not getting Director, Actor or Cinematography.

When it comes to Best Picture sleeper potential (seems crazy to even consider for some of these, but who knew CODA was winning on nomination day?)

All Quiet - No Director nom (director friendly movie), they don't give Picture to Netflix even when they have a frontrunner like Roma/Power of the Dog
Avatar 2 - No Director nom (director friendly movie) or DGA
Elvis - No Director nom (director friendly movie) or Hanks
Top Gun Maverick - mentioned above
Triangle of Sadness - No Supporting Actress, Dolly would probably win let alone be nominated if it was a BP

Tar doesn't really have any real weaknesses possibly other than not hitting Nina Hoss... so maybe should be considered as a wtf sleeper? But it definitely doesn't "feel" like it's in contention, and it probably should've won Golden Globes Drama or something if it had a chance.

Most likely is what it looks like which is Everything Everywhere or the old frontrunner Fabelmans kind of pulls it out at the end like Spotlight, with a small chance Banshees takes over in guilds. Or a combo like Banshees starts winning the guilds, gets reluctantly called the frontrunner by people, and then it loses at the very end to Everything Everywhere.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:10 am
The Kramer

The cinematography was the best part of Banshees and Top Gun and they both missed out. Odd choices.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 am
Wallflower

publicenemy#1 wrote:
It's kinda crazy Michelle Williams got in for lead. I feel like she would fit as supporting and could've had a chance to win.

I think it's a performance that could be in either. Personally I think lead is more fitting. But if they wanted her to win an award they should have put her in Supporting.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:21 am
Hold the door!

Really hoping the Riseborough controversy will push more votes toward Yeoh after all the other actresses of color were shut out, and Blanchett being considered the main person responsible for the Riseborough nomination.

If Blanchett wins, I'll honestly throw up.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:34 pm
now we know

What's the Riseborough controversy?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:

Riseborough's nomination is controversial because

1. She is perceived as taking a spot from Davis or Deadwyler
2. She has been nominated almost nowhere else, making it feel especially out of left field and shady
3. To Leslie made 15k in theaters, almost no one has seen it
4. Prominent actors such as Cate Blanchett and Gwyneth Paltrow were campaigning for her late in the game, making this look like inside baseball, and that its really about having powerful friends rather than talent.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I've only watched 15 minutes of All Quiet and I'm already shocked it didn't get a Director nom. That opening sequence was as intense as Saving Private Ryan.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:02 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Algren wrote:

Riseborough's nomination is controversial because

1. She is perceived as taking a spot from Davis or Deadwyler
2. She has been nominated almost nowhere else, making it feel especially out of left field and shady
3. To Leslie made 15k in theaters, almost no one has seen it
4. Prominent actors such as Cate Blanchett and Gwyneth Paltrow were campaigning for her late in the game, making this look like inside baseball, and that its really about having powerful friends rather than talent.

Oh, so no controversy at all really. I guess that's what can happen when an industry awards itself. It's always been a circle jerk.

But thanks for outlining that for me.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

BBC wrote:
Director Chinonye Chukwu has accused Hollywood of "unabashed misogyny towards Black women" after her film Till missed out on an Oscar nomination.

Till is based on the true story of the mother who pursued justice after her son Emmett Till was lynched in 1955. The film's star Danielle Deadwyler had been widely tipped to be named in the best actress category on Tuesday for her portrayal of Mamie Till-Mobley.

But she was absent, and no black stars were on the lead acting shortlists.

It's begun, lol.

This type of claim always makes me yawn. Where was this unabashed misogyny when the film was green lit? The film was also in over 2,000 theatres, and nobody saw it. The film had its chance to make an impact. Academy voters are human beings the same as members of the public are, and the film just didn't stir them enough to want to award it. Chukwu is just a sore loser.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It's a broad and baseless claim, but she does have the right to be upset about how things went down. Last minute campaigning / private screenings by white celebrities for another white celebrity probably prevented her movie from being nominated. While that wasn't caused by racism, it was certainly shady and shouldn't be allowed. All Quiet and Triangle of Sadness popping up out of nowhere also raise some questions.

You can say all these films deserved their nominations because they were good, but we all know being good isn't the most important factor in getting nominations. Those three movies played the political part of the game perfectly and others were shut out because of it.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:20 pm
The Kramer

I see that the academy is now actually looking into whether the Andrea Riseborough campaign violated the rules. I can't remember what year it happened, but there was a recent Best Song nomination from a movie that nobody saw which did end up getting disqualified. I doubt that'll happen to Andrea, there would be even more backlash, but I expect some rule changes next year to prevent it from happening again.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:12 pm
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
It's a broad and baseless claim, but she does have the right to be upset about how things went down. Last minute campaigning / private screenings by white celebrities for another white celebrity probably prevented her movie from being nominated. While that wasn't caused by racism, it was certainly shady and shouldn't be allowed.

That's just life. And what's stopping black celebrities doing the same thing? So now she's upset because she didn't think to campaign? lol, she's not just a sore loser but also a naive dumb ass. The Oscars have been run like political campaigns for decades. It's nothing new.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, the Riseborough thing I don't get, I don't see anything that crossed any line, like bribes or stuff. Just a bunch of people liked her performance more than another, that's what a subjective competitions should be about. It would be worse if someone gets in just to meet a quota. Anyway, it should be good for the show, more "controversy"= more interest.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:36 pm
now we know

Here are my updated predicted winners (having seen All Quiet on the Western Front):

Best Picture
“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers

Best Director
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Lead Actor
Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)

Best Lead Actress
Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actor
Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Best Supporting Actress
Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Adapted Screenplay
“Women Talking,” Screenplay by Sarah Polley

Best Original Screenplay
“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Written by Martin McDonagh

Best Cinematography
“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths,” Darius Khondji

Best Film Editing
“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Paul Rogers

Best International Feature Film
“All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany)

Best Original Song
“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler

Best Production Design
“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Production Design: Christian M. Goldbeck; Set Decoration: Ernestine Hipper

Best Visual Effects
“Avatar: The Way of Water,” Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett

Best Animated Feature Film
“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio,” Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley

Best Costume Design
“Babylon,” Mary Zophres

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
“Elvis,” Mark Coulier, Jason Baird and Aldo Signoretti

Best Original Score
“Babylon,” Justin Hurwitz

Best Sound
“Top Gun: Maverick,” Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I have to give it to the Academy, they seem to find controversies. This best actress nomination thing is getting a lot of press now even 4 days later. They need to hire better PR people as it feels like they haven't learned anything from last year's debacle.

Feel bad for everyone in the best actress category though. It's a mess.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I was excited to see the infamous Riseborough is in a WWII movie Lee with Winslet next year. Thanks to those parties her whole life/career will probably change cause of this putting her on the map, she can now be a supporting actress go-to in Oscar bait movies.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2