Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 2022 Oscars ceremony thread 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: 2022 Oscars ceremony thread
Well... I think this will be the most talked about Oscars in years (decades?).

Will Smith was out of line. Even if the joke was distasteful, you don't hit the guy. Rock is a comedian, one that everyone in the audience knows, and I imagine he and Smith have known each other for a really, really long time.

Why didn't he just confront him backstage and ask for an apology if he (and/or Jada) was that offended? The unedited video is all over social media if anyone missed it or only saw the edited version.

I don't know if this will hurt him with fans/audiences, but some (maybe many) in Hollywood may avoid working with him for a while.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:42 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The thing is, I don't think 80% of the people would have even understood the joke. It would have just came and went. Now Everyone is gonna Know all about her business. So by defending her from one joke, he made her (and himself) the butt of a million others.

And then, instead of being arrested, he was awarded for best actor merely minutes later! Lifestyles of the rich and famous! There's no writer in Hollywood good enough to make this shit up.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:52 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Maybe they'll strip him of the win this week after they process it. They're getting a flood of backlash over allowing him to just go back and sit and watch and then win.

Has a winner ever been stripped of their Oscar before?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:59 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

This is such a mess. The fact some people are saying "she has an illness"....it's alopecia, hair loss. If she has an illness then so do I and millions of other people. She is clearly not bothered considering she is going around to award shows like that. SHE didn't get up on stage to punch someone, she just rolled her eyes.

The fact that he wasn't arrested and instead went up to accept his trophy and got a standing O (although I did notice that Pedro Almodovar did not stand up and was not clapping, and neither were Beyonce and Jay-Z).

More Hollywood celebrity privilege.

At the same time, this is the best thing that could've happened to the Oscars after the ratings disasters of the last few years. They haven't been this relevant in a long time.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:23 am
The Kramer

I wanna know what how much the ratings spiked in between the smack and his acceptance speech.

Was Francis McDormand even there? The 28 year anniversary Pulp Fiction bit leading into was an odd choice.

"Pick three people who aren't afraid of Will Smith."

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:33 am
Hold the door!

The WDTAB performance was the worst thing I have ever seen, I hated it SO much! Just perform the damn song!

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:30 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Best Oscars in forever. More people need to get slapped. People saying Smith should be in jail? They should be slapped.

(It did seem like a bit when it happened though, the way he walked onto the stage, Rock seemed like he was expecting to get hit, etc etc)

Glad Dune cleaned up, but it should've won Picture because it was easily the best movie of the year.

(Schumer was funny! Wanda was too! The Covid bit by Regina was... too long! And creepy!)

The best line of the night was when Brolin asked Momoa if he'd been nominated and he said "nooope". Great timing/delivery.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:40 pm
Extraordinary

The backlash has grown stronger today against Smith with even the Academy putting in a stronger statement than they did yesterday.

His box office performances were already down the drain lately but his entire image he's spent 30+ years building and legacy is tarnished.

The Oscar ratings went up 50% from last year but were still 2nd worst in history.

No one is talking about Coda's amazing accomplishment. Or Chastain, Questlove, etc.

I give it a week and there will be an Oprah interview announced.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

This will taint him for a while but easily the best thing that could come out would be something with Rock.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:59 pm
New Server, Same X

No way it was staged. It's no win for Chris and Will. Only winner is The Oscars, but Will and Chris get nothing from it. The joke sucked (a GI Jane joke in 2022?) and it came out of left field. Why did he go after her look for no reason? Will overreacted like an insane person. Went from 0 to 100 real quick. The slap would have maybe been downplayed, but the shouting about it pushed it beyond. Too bad, I've been pushing for Will Smith to win an Oscar since Ali, and feels tarnished.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:21 pm

The fact that a flop Demi Moore movie from the 90s was responsible for this lmao

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Extraordinary

Well it was GI Jane's 25th anniversary. :sweat:

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Will has apologized to Chris Rock. Doesn't change much about what happened, but the humility and self-awareness will go a long way. Atleast elevates him above the Kanye/JKRowling/DaBaby level of celebrities who pretend like they are the victim of their own scandals.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:13 am
Devil's Advocate

Legendary Hollywood moment lol. I watched it on a downloaded copy that was uncensored and the "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MOUTH" was scarier than the slap. Chris Rock probably immediately thought of 10 jokes to burn him and showed mercy. Will and Jada's relationship is obviously super intense, there is always one person unhappy about the open relationship and it's obviously Will. I thought his acceptance speech was pretty good.

CODA got overshadowed but it's still better than winning at last year's Oscars I guess

Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:37 am
New Server, Same X

Shack wrote:
Legendary Hollywood moment lol. I watched it on a downloaded copy that was uncensored and the "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MOUTH" was scarier than the slap. Chris Rock probably immediately thought of 10 jokes to burn him and showed mercy. Will and Jada's relationship is obviously super intense, there is always one person unhappy about the open relationship and it's obviously Will. I thought his acceptance speech was pretty good.

CODA got overshadowed but it's still better than winning at last year's Oscars I guess

I think the slap gets minor backlash but ultimately Will recovers quickly from it. The screaming afterwards is what pushes it over the edge.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:15 pm
New Server, Same X

Some still think it was staged, and the only way I think it could be staged is if everyone involved thought Will would look like a hero by defending his wife on this big night. And honestly the Hollywood bubble wouldn't shock me. But still don't think it was staged.

Mainly for Chris Rock's stumbling afterwards. I've seen him act. He's not that good.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 pm

There is no way this was staged, Will Smith is not a good enough actor to fake that mental breakdown he was having while he tried to give a speech. Personally I think he must've been on something, certain drugs can make you unhinged.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:05 pm
Extraordinary

StubHub said it experienced more than 25X the daily sales each of the past two days than occurred last month for Chris Rock's current tour.

I feel like there's a very strong chance Rock could host SNL's season finale this year. They are booked for guests till April 16th but after that I don't see how the SNL team isn't going to give him the SNL stage if he wants it.

If he does, it's going to be one of the highest rated SNLs ever.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Academy claims they asked Smith to leave and he refused. That... just makes them look even worse, suggesting their guests can just refuse requests and it's all good.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Now apparently sources are saying the Academy is lying and Smith wasn't asked to leave. Producer Packard himself asked him to stay.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the Golden Globes looks in better shape than the Oscars right now. :grrr:

Last edited by O on Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Yeah I highly doubt they asked him to leave. They knew his acceptance speech would generate tons of buzz. And in general, it seemed the audience was unsure about how to react. If they didn't applaud Will for winning would people call them racist? Better to just pretend like the slap didn't happen and worry about any backlash for that later.

New angles that show Jada laughing at the slap really show what a toxic person she must be. Before the show she was going on and on about how she was so brave and proud and didn't care what anyone said about her. Well apparently she did care and needed her husband, whom she has an open relationship with, to prove what a Manly Man of Men he was. These two nutter butters need to just go away for awhile.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm
Extraordinary

OSCARS PRODUCER SAYS CHRIS DIDN'T WANT WILL SMITH BOOTED...Chris Sources Say That's A Lie

Feel like the people that will probably face the most consequences are Packer and the Academy. They can't get their stories straight and are just extending this story each day

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Solid statement

Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next