Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Call your shot - What wins Best Picture? 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Call your shot - What wins Best Picture?
Power of the Dog would be such a terrible winner lol. Then again, I haven't liked a winner since Argo. Though I never saw Green Book, Parasite or 12 Years a Slave

Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:05 am
The Kramer

Parasite is awesome. That whole 2020 lineup was legit, even the weaker ones like Irishman were way better than most in 21/22. They gave us hope then snatched it right back.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:44 am
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
Though I never saw Green Book, Parasite or 12 Years a Slave

Green Book is the best of them, but they're all worth seeing.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:39 am
Hold the door!

I am feeling Power of the Dog gets director but loses Picture at this point to Belfast or West Side Story

Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:00 am
Devil's Advocate

DGA is in 2 days followed by BAFTA on the 13th and PGA on 19th. Campion presumably will win DGA.

Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

Some people are trying to cancel Campion for saying to Venus and Serena "you don't play against the guys like I have to"... will it be a race changer?

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:02 pm
The Kramer

The votes have probably all been cast at this point so I doubt it. This entire award season has been about rewarding Jane Campion, despite her movie being shit, and I don't see that changing now. They'll just give a black woman the best actress oscar next year to make up for it.

Licorice Pizza gave me a rooting interest, but I'd give it like a 5% chance. It's too funny to win. A little bit better than Dune's 0.0005% chance though.

If Kristen loses, we riot.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
The votes have probably all been cast at this point so I doubt it. This entire award season has been about rewarding Jane Campion, despite her movie being shit, and I don't see that changing now. They'll just give a black woman the best actress oscar next year to make up for it.

She said this last Sunday so I think there was time to make an impact. I don't think Campion will lose, but maybe it could play a small part if Power of the Dog was neck and neck in BP.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

I had a feeling CODA was going to win Best Picture for the last few weeks, I wish I made a bigger stand prediction wise like making a thread like Magnus. It still hits the v spot (virtue signal spot) to reward one of the only movies about deaf people, if anything it's a newer and cooler kind of the Oscars showing they care about minority representation in film, and it appeals to feel good Green Book type voters after one of the biggest bummer Best Picture winners of all time in Nomadland last year. Plus I think Apple knows how to campaign for award shows as seen by things like Ted Lasso doing so well and managing to get the Morning Show nominations.

Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:38 am
Extraordinary

Pretty fucking weird it didn't get more noms if it wins BP but ok. Guess I'll try to watch it before the show

Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:39 pm
Wallflower

It's somewhat weird but not THAT weird. It's a lovely movie and I'd have nominated it for Best Picture but not Director, Editing, etc... despite it being in my top 3 or 4 of the year at the moment. Not even Emilia Jones made my 5 here. She's great in it and I had her in my top 7 lead female performances but not top 5. There were so many great lead female performances this year. The movie isn't anything special on a technical level hence not getting those nominations. Generally the Best Picture winner has more nominations but it's not hard to see how this would do great on a ranked ballot. If it goes all the way, which I'm now predicting it to, I'll be very happy to see this cast and crew on stage accepting the big award. Seems like it might go 3/3 at the Oscars.

Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:13 pm
Devil's Advocate

If they voted on nominations now it would probably get in Director, Actress and Supporting Actress. Matlin not getting in is most surprising, all she had to do was beat Buckley/Dench?

Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:33 pm
The Kramer

Dog is still the favorite on Draft Kings but Coda is catching up fast. Could be even by Monday.

Edit* They've also taken down the writing categories since Licorice Pizza was such a heavy favorite before the PGA.

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:11 am
Hold the door!

Actress seems most up in the air. Only ones without a chance to win are Colman and Cruz

Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 am
Wallflower

And yet with Actress being so up in the air I wouldn't be that shocked by a Cruz win. I mean I'd put her in last or maybe fourth but I believe it could happen. Marcia Gay Harden won Best Supporting Actress in 2001 and hadn't been nominated for any televised precursor. It could happen again.

Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

You could argue Cruz is ahead of Kidman and Colman because she didn't lose at SAG. The Chastain win makes most sense either if she's winning or they couldn't vote for the actual Oscar pick. Regina King wasn't nominated at SAG in her year so they gave it to Blunt in A Quiet Place. It would be pretty random if Kidman or Colman was Oscar winner and they gave SAG to Chastain.

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:33 pm
Hold the door!

Kidman has the golden globe precursor, not as strong as SAG obviously, but Chastain was considered behind her all the way up until that upset

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:51 pm
The Kramer

https://kareem.substack.com/p/the-3-mos ... ies-of?s=r

Kareem Abdul Jabbar wrote:
Somebody has to say it. This year has been massively disappointing for movie fans. Not that there haven’t been some wonderfully entertaining movies such as Spider-Man: No Way Home, Encanto, West Side Story, and Licorice Pizza. But there haven’t been the shining gems that balance insightful perception, depth of character, and sheer enjoyment. None that belong in the same movie canon as Nomadland, Parasite, or No Country for Old Men.

Three of the year’s most celebrated movies are, for me, three of the most disappointing movies. You’ll notice that I didn’t say “worst” of the year because they certainly aren’t. Don’t Look Up, Nightmare Alley, and The Power of the Dog are made with great skill, artistic integrity, and professionalism. That’s why there are so disappointing. They were created by some of my favorite directors, writers, and actors whose past work I’ve loved. But these strained efforts were bloated or pretentious or obvious—or all three. Each felt inflated by the filmmakers’ past successes, a magnificent mansion bounce house that quickly deflated into a plastic puddle after a couple jumps.

Turns out that Kareem is a very insightful movie critic! An excellent read that I'd highly recommend. Sums up this year pretty well. The oscar bait crop was just not very good but the academy still refused to diverge.

My favorite bit: "But Don’t Look Up, a satire about the catastrophic dangers of climate change is so obvious and delighted with itself that it’s like watching drunk friends laughing at everything they say while we just wait for them to pass out."

Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:51 am
The Kramer

I couldn't finish CODA, but that had more to do with my issues with singing in non-animated movies. At least it is a unique movie. Nomadland wasn't the best movie last year, not even of the nominated bunch, but I had never seen anything like it before. So I'm OK with Coda being the winner, though obviously still holding out small hope for one of the three movies that I actually liked.

Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:15 pm
Hold the door!

CODA is not unique at all lol. It is a very average coming of age movie with a deaf twist. It's still a good movie, but far from "unique".

Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:17 pm
The Kramer

You might be right, but it's more unique than Power of the Dog and that's I care about. :funny:

Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Power of the Dog is 1000x better than Nomadland, which I had to attempt to finish multiple times because it was boring as shit.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Wallflower

Best Actress is probably either Chastain or Cruz.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:00 am
Top Poster

Coda, Jane Campion, Will Smith, Penelope Cruz, Troy Kotsur, Ariana DeBose, Coda (Adapted), The Worst Person in the World (Original)

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2