Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Oscars 2021 - LIVE Ceremony 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Oscars Awards 2021 - LIVE Ceremony
Jmart wrote:
And now not doing BP last is even dumber. So fucking stupid.

I love Boseman and respect him as an actor but this whole charade around his Oscar is pointless.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Extraordinary

What the fuck lolol

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Anthony Hopkins!!! YAY!!!

No idea why they went for BP before actors. Maybe they wanted the shock factor :P

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
What the fuck lolol

This is the reaction Academy was expecting :hahaha:

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:18 pm
The Kramer

No I do not believe the person who made the decision (probably Soderberg) knew that Hopkins was going to win. That was supposed to be a tribute to Chadwick to send the audience home happy. Poor Joaquin could barely get the words out...

Or maybe they knew how it’d go over and didn’t want to longer around with an unhappy crowd?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:21 pm
Superman: The Movie

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jmart wrote:

I love Boseman and respect him as an actor but this whole charade around his Oscar is pointless.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't speak to his performance, but it's clear that that's why they held actors until last and it bit them in the ass.

Steven. There's a reason the show has had a format for so long. Don't fuck with it!

On the bright side this will clearly be the lowest rated ceremony in the modern era so they can just forget about it and move on to 2022, just like the rest of us.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Still cannot believe they gave MacDormand her third Oscar for a role like Nomadland and that too over Carey Mulligan in PMY. Just sad.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Way to go, Odin.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
No I do not believe the person who made the decision (probably Soderberg) knew that Hopkins was going to win. That was supposed to be a tribute to Chadwick to send the audience home happy. Poor Joaquin could barely get the words out...

Or maybe they knew how it’d go over and didn’t want to longer around with an unhappy crowd?

It was definitely meant to be the tribute to Boseman but even if he lost it would be the biggest surprise of the night so it was a win-win situation from ratings perspective.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:24 pm
Extraordinary

Lolol yeah they thought Chadwick would win. I haven't seen The Father yet but I'll check it out now lol

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jmart wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jmart wrote:

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't speak to his performance, but it's clear that that's why they held actors until last and it bit them in the ass.

Steven. There's a reason the show has had a format for so long. Don't fuck with it!

On the bright side this will clearly be the lowest rated ceremony in the modern era so they can just forget about it and move on to 2022, just like the rest of us.

You should watch the movie. I liked his performance but it came as supporting role to me (I feel the movie does not have any lead male actor). It definitely warrants a nomination but in a regular (non forced woke nominations) year without his death he might have problems getting nominated.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Lolol yeah they thought Chadwick would win. I haven't seen The Father yet but I'll check it out now lol

I saw the movie a week back to fill in for KJ and its GOOD. I voted for him at KJ to win but I guess a lot of people watched Da 5 Bloods in the end because it has been on Netflix for 9+ months now

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 pm
The Kramer

I disagree, I thought Chadwick was the star of the movie. Ma Rainey didn’t have much of an arc and all the thematic material fell onto Chadwick. He wasn’t my favorite performance of the year, and I need to see The Father, but the win would have been earned, even if he had not been battling cancer.

That being said, I think the academy deserved to fall flat on its face for putting Best Actor last. And for snubbing Carey for someone who just won a few years ago.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I disagree, I thought Chadwick was the star of the movie. Ma Rainey didn’t have much of an arc and all the thematic material fell onto Chadwick. He wasn’t my favorite performance of the year, and I need to see The Father, but the win would have been earned, even if he had not been battling cancer.

That being said, I think the academy deserved to fall flat on its face for putting Best Actor last. And for snubbing Carey for someone who just won a few years ago.

Its just the case of difference of opinion and similar to you I liked the performance but it wasn't the best of the year. I possibly have seen too much last year so some of my choices wouldn't ever get traction like aside from Hopkins, Tom Hanks, Riz Ahmed, Gary Oldman, Andy Samberg, Tahar Rahim all gave better performances than Boseman IMO

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 am
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Still cannot believe they gave MacDormand her third Oscar for a role like Nomadland and that too over Carey Mulligan in PMY. Just sad.

This was so disappointing. No offense to McDormand. If they were going to give it to someone other than Carey it may as well be her. But I desperately wanted Carey to win. McDormand didn't need another Oscar yet. :P

I hope Carey gets another chance at the gold soon. Maybe with Bradley Cooper's next project.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:20 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Oscars 2021 - LIVE Ceremony
Also who TF picked the clip for Promising Young Woman? It should have been the scene in the dean's office with Connie Britton. I remember even the Globes had a dumb clip to showcase her performance. I don't know why no awards shows wanted to show the best acting clip from the film.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 am
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Lolz as someone who despises the Oscars (despite predicting every BP winner of the last ten years months in advance), this was the best outcome.

Ratings will suck, people are mad about the winners, and people are mad about the production of the show. The worse the Oscars get the more irrelevant they will become which is better for cinema in the end.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 am
Devil's Advocate

This year is tragic but I respect that the Best Actor and Best Actress wins were what they thought were best performances, instead of giving it to someone cause they're dead or not giving it to someone cause they already had 2 lead Oscars

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 am
Hold the door!

Who actually watched the Oscars this year lol I saw none of the nominees and don’t plan to watch any more.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 am
Top Poster

Shack wrote:
This year is tragic but I respect that the Best Actor and Best Actress wins were what they thought were best performances, instead of giving it to someone cause they're dead or not giving it to someone cause they already had 2 lead Oscars

I actually think they gave Best Actress to McDormand again (and Best Picture to a lesser extent) heavily influenced from her Oscar acceptance speech 3 years ago pushing for more women and inclusion rider.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Alex Y. wrote:
Shack wrote:

I actually think they gave Best Actress to McDormand again (and Best Picture to a lesser extent) heavily influenced from her Oscar acceptance speech 3 years ago pushing for more women and inclusion rider.

Maybe but hadn't won for Three Billboards, I think McDormand would've been the easy pick to win all season this time on the back of Nomadland

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:59 pm
Wallflower

Shack wrote:
Alex Y. wrote:
Shack wrote:

Maybe but hadn't won for Three Billboards, I think McDormand would've been the easy pick to win all season this time on the back of Nomadland

I definitely think you're right about this.

Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4