Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Deem Thee Worthy 

Which movies were worthy of winning best picture?
2010 - The Hurt Locker 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
2011 - The King's Speech 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
2012 - The Artist 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
2013 - Argo 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
2014 - 12 Years A Slave 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
2015 - Birdman 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
2016 - Spotlight 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
2017 - Moonlight 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
2018 - The Shape of Water 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
2019 - Green Book 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 60

Deem Thee Worthy 
The Kramer

Post Deem Thee Worthy
It seems like most people on here agree that Parasite was very worthy of taking home the top prizes at last night's show. It wasn't my favorite movie of the year (Endgame) or even my favorite of the nominees (Hollywood), but it was a fantastic movie and one that I imagine will be remembered very fondly throughout the years to come (like being on the AFI Top 100 if they ever bring that back.)

This bucks the 2010s trend of going with safe choices that make people feel good in the moment, but have already been forgotten about by the time the next award show runs around. For example, I love Del Toro but Fish Fuck is probably his least memorable film, even the disappointment from his only shitty movie, Pacific Rim, has lingered longer. My opinions on Moonlight and Birdman have been written enough, as has everybody's of Green Book. And while I enjoyed it a lot at the time, I remember little more than Ar Go Fuck Yourself.

So, in your eyes, which of last decades movies were worthy of the best picture prize. And if they weren't, pick a nominee that was (this will make 2012 more challenging.)

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Deem Thee Worthy
I’m pretty happy with The Hurt Locker, The Artist, Birdman and Spotlight’s wins. And I actually kind of like Green Book.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm
College Boy T

Hurt Locker, Spotlight, and Moonlight.

Moonlight was an amazing winner. It’s too bad La La Land wasn’t moved to 2017 or 2018, as it would’ve been a worthy winner those years.

I was torn between Spotlight and Mad Max, but Spotlight holds up and was a better choice than Revenant.

I haven’t had the urge to rewatch the others.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:48 pm
The Kramer

Hurt Locker is somehow even more relevant today as the US just can't quit the middle east. Very strong best picture lineup though with Up, Inglorious Basterds, Avatar and District 9.

The King's Speech definitely does not hold up against the 2011 lineup. The Social Network and Fincher should have kept that momentum going and I don't even remember why they lost it in the first place. Inception, The Fighter, 127 Hours, Black Swan, Toy Story 3, True Grit - good job academy right up until the end.

The Artist doesn't really hold up but the 2012 crop kinda sucks. Why neither Drive or Bridesmaids made it will never be known. Midnight In Paris was my favorite of the bunch and I've never felt the need to rewatch it. Plus a win going to Woody would not look too good in the current political climate. So I guess the Artist can stay.

Argo, a fine movie, just kinda pales compared to Django and Life of Pi. And Affleck used the win to become a Huge Movie Star again rather than continue down his directing path.

12 Years .. can stay. Wolf of Wall Street is much better and Gravity is still awesome, but you can understand why they didn't win.

Birdman sucks. Even if you subscribe to the academy's notion that a gimmick film like Boyhood should not win, Whiplash was still there for the taking. Way too many biopics were nominated this year.

Spotlight is another movie that is fine, but just falls short in history when next to The Martain, The Revenant and Bridge of Spies. And even though I think it's overrated, Fury Road would be an acceptable since everyone was so hot for it that year.

Moonlight made the #OscarsSoWhite controversy go away for a second - but cmon - La La Land was the best picture and they should have just let the mistake go. Arrival is another solid choice.

Shape of Water is the weirdest choice of the entire decade. I hate to bury my boy GDT again. but it's not even in his top 5, and Dunkirk was nominated. Get Out would have been a really cool choice too, if only they had delayed the #WereNotRacist award another year..

Green Book lol.

So 2/10 are worthy and I'll give Argo and Spotlight half a point each to make it 3/10. A decent average in baseball, not so much for the Oscars.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I voted for:

Hurt Locker
12 Years
Birdman (and immediately regret voting for as I don't even remember it after thinking about it)
Moonlight
... and Shape of Water (SUCK IT, I love this movie)

So 4/10.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

The King's Speech winning BP is dubious in itself, but that's got to be a split with Fincher winning Director.

I like the movie but I will never not be confounded by how The Shape of Water pulled it off in a race that looked like it was headed towards Three Billboards. Spotlight, Moonlight, Green Book, Parasite all have some sort of social/political connection, and then they just randomly picked TSOW. Call Me By Your Name would've fit the trend nicely and been a make-up for Brokeback, but it didn't get that close

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, Shape of Water is political, imo.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:14 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

You need to add a none there

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Considering Birdman is one of my all time favourite flicks. Birdman hands down.

The rest? Ehhhhh

If Hurt Locker and Spotlight had lost to Inglorious Basterds and Mad Max respectively, I would have been satisfied with the decade.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm
We had our time together

The Hurt Locker, maaaaybe. Out of the others I liked Argo the most but the rest are average/awful winners.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Birdman (though Boyhood or Grand Budapest Hotel were also worthy)
Spotlight (though its less and less memorable for me, it was still a solid movie and packed a wallop... I enjoyed the cinematic experience of Ex Machina, Inside Out, and Mad Max more but all those feel like a weird Best Picture winner... actually never mind I regret my vote for Spotlight, any of those should have won)
Moonlight (my top choice that year, tied with Arrival but Moonlight fet more deserving/relevant than the brilliant sci-fi ode to life and love).

Hurt Locker was blah for me. Avatar maybe, despite obvious drawbacks
King’s Speech should’ve been Social Network or Toy Story 3.
Oscars should’ve been cancelled the year The Artist won.
I would’ve preferred Life of Pi over Argo.
Didn’t see 12 Years so..... I am racist (but would’ve loved Gravity or Her winning)
The Shape of Fucking Water?? No. Call Me By Your Name please (or Ladybird for a low-key winner)
Didn’t see Green Book either (baity) but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be my cup of tea (First Reformed was the movie of the year)
and Parasite is the dopest winner perhaps ever

Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 pm
The Kramer

Bumping this thread cause I think I'm ready to concede on Moonlight. Showing up on the sight and sound list proves that it has remained relevant among film buffs.

Nomadland has definitely not.

Too early to tell on Coda. The academy could trot out the deaf guy every year for an easy feel-good moment.

Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:19 pm
Hold the door!

None lol. I would never watch any of these again

Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:40 pm
now we know

Only Green Book and Spotlight for me.

In 2010, it should have been Inglourious Basterds; in 2011 The Kids are All Right or Inception; in 2012 Midnight in Paris; in 2013 Life of Pi; in 2014 Philomena; in 2015 Whiplash; in 2017 La La Land; and in 2018 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

1990-2007: Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, The Return of the King, Million Dollar Baby, Crash, The Departed, No Country for Old Men

2008-2022: Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years A Slave, Birdman, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, Parasite, Nomadland, CODA, Everything Everywhere All At Once

That's quite a fall off. The mix of populism and awards used to be a lot better.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:21 pm
now we know

Going further than the poll indicates, in 2020 I deem Parasite a worthy winner, although Joker and Ford v Ferrari are also excellent.

Then it falls off a cliff. The Father should have won over Nomadland in 2021, and in 2022 none of the nominees were worthy. It was a pretty weak year but if I had to choose I'd go with Belfast out of the ones I saw. Then this year Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, or Triangle of Sadnes were better than EEAAO for me personally. But I'm not against EEAAO winning either. I think it's a worthy winner all things considered.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

Still love Birdman, back when I use to actually watch movies

Wed May 10, 2023 12:30 pm
The Kramer

Two in a row! Good job oscars.

However, on the opposite end, Coda definitely would have been completely forgotten about if not for its random best picture win.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]