Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Closer Thread 
Superman: The Movie

Dkmuto wrote:
Currently at 66%: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/closer/

Hm. Could this be its downfall...?

I still think it'll get nominated for 7 Oscars:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Editing

Even if it stays at 66%, which I doubt, I still say it gets those 7. I think when it's all said and done, it'll be above 70%. There are 7 or 8 reviews not listed which were really good.

I just saw the movie, and IMO, I think it would be very lucky for the film to get 2 of those 7 nominations. I just don't see it as being an Oscar caliber film.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow... First Alexander with it's horrible reviews and now Closer's mediocre reviews. I don't know. The only thing I could see it getting is Natalie Portman/Clive Owen. I'm still really looking forward to the movie though. I have to say, quite a few slots open, eh?

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:40 pm
Extraordinary

Regardless its Picture/Director prospect, Clive Owen and Natalie Portman are locks for nominations. Julian Roberts is close to be a lock as well. It should get 4 to 5 nominations without much problem.

However, as first I thought Closer will be this year's actors' movie, like last year's Mystic River; now it looks like Million Dollar Baby is going to be that movie with Eastwood, Freeman, and Swank. I love to see Freeman finally winning one, especially if his performance is as good as people are saying.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Closer's reviews aren't really surprising though. It was pretty clear critics would be divided because ofits subject matter. The question now is will those who like it like it enough to vote for it?

And how well will it do at the box office/with audiences? It's not very mainstream. (ahhh...I haven't checked numbers today)

$2.7 million....that's actually really good :) So it stys in the race.

Best Actress 2008

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Editing
Best Supporting Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Director
Best Picture

I don't think it'll win a single one in the end, though.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

It's not going to get a best picture nomination. The only way it sounds like Julia Roberts could get a nomination is if people like the fact that she's playing against type as America's sweetheart. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman are the strongest possibilites it seems and those don't even sound like sure things.

For a movie to be an Oscar contender, if it has a dark theme there usually is some underlying 'important' message (the Holocaust, racism, etc.). Or there needs to be some humor, like in Amercian Beauty, to balance things out a little. It doesn't sound like Closer has this. Anyone remember The Ice Storm from a few years ago? It had a great cast, strong performances, and an acclaimed director, but got no Oscar love even though it had lots of critical acclaim.

If the Academy wants to reward a movie with adult themes dealing with sexuality, I think they are going to turn their attention back to Kinsey.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:30 am
Profile WWW
I wouldn't be shocked if Closer failed to get a single nomination. Nichols could get a nom based on his Emmy wave of success but again I wouldn't be surprised if the AMPAS didn't feel this film was his great return to form. They could wait until 1001 Nights is released (if he doesn't die).

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:29 pm
You must have big rats

I wouldn't be shocked if Closer failed to get a single nomination. Nichols could get a nom based on his Emmy wave of success but again I wouldn't be surprised if the AMPAS didn't feel this film was his great return to form. They could wait until 1001 Nights is released (if he doesn't die).

Hey, don't let your personal feelings towards the movie make you biased when it comes to predicting its oscar chances. ;)

I doubt there is a way the Academy will not give it a single nom.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Hey, don't let your personal feelings towards the movie make you biased when it comes to predicting its oscar chances. ;)

I'm never biased, that's what makes me an expert. 8)

When you break it down, the acting doesn't stand out in terms of individual nominations (the AMPAS does need to add an Ensemble category). Add to it the cluster fuck of having four leads. Even if agents, publicists, studio heads, etc can convince 2 of the 4 to step down to supporting roles, it doesnt guarantee that the acting branch will agree with the choice.

So we have technical noms, which for such a stripped down production, aren't really realistic. I think a Best Director nomination is the best Closer may be able to do.

Think of Eyes Wide Shut. A better director, a lot of buzz surrounding it, an incredible cast, pretty high production value, and a dark storyline.

Zero nominations.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:56 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

:lol: :lol: So you are humble too, right?

Seriously, Eyes Wide Shut didn't get as much buzz at Closer is getting. Also its release date hurt it.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Seriously, Eyes Wide Shut didn't get as much buzz at Closer is getting. Also its release date hurt it.

It's hard to be wealthy, good looking, smart, and humble. :D

Im interested in seeing what path Closer takes during the award season. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

When is it going to be shown in Germany Lec?

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:15 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

It's hard to be wealthy, good looking, smart, and humble. :D

Im interested in seeing what path Closer takes during the award season. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

When is it going to be shown in Germany Lec?

January 13th, 2005 :?

I think there is certainly a chance that it won't get nominated for Best Picture and Best Director, but at least one member of the cast will be awarded with a nom. However, I do think that the movie will win zero oscars in the end.

As for Best Picture, I think we have two locks for the nominees at this point and these are Finding Neverland and The Aviator.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I don't see how it can miss out on at least supporting actress, supporting actor (weak) and adapted screenplay).

Best Actress 2008

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

I don't see how it can miss out on at least supporting actress, supporting actor (weak) and adapted screenplay).

I agree. Those three are the best bets. I think Nichols could get a nod, and I'm predicting he does, but it definently isn't the surest thing.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:48 pm
Profile YIM
Though I don't feel my comparison to Eyes Wide Shut is without merit perhaps comparing Closer to Neil LaBute's early work would make my point clearer.

How is Closer different than In the Company of Men or Your Friends and Neighbors?

Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:17 pm
You must have big rats

Though I don't feel my comparison to Eyes Wide Shut is without merit perhaps comparing Closer to Neil LaBute's early work would make my point clearer.

How is Closer different than In the Company of Men or Your Friends and Neighbors?

The cast

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

The cast

Exactly. But not the acting. Point being, it's just a high profile version of what LaBute had already done on screen. And look how many Oscars he won for similar work.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:57 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

The cast

Exactly. But not the acting. Point being, it's just a high profile version of what LaBute had already done on screen. And look how many Oscars he won for similar work.

You see, the words "high profile" do make a difference. :)

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

The cast

Look you bastard, high profile does not equal Oscar. :lol:

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:59 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

The cast

Look you bastard, high profile does not equal Oscar. :lol:

Not a win, but nominations, for sure. Why do you think Kaufman's amazing and well-reviewed movies don't get nominated? Why do you think will Sideways probably be snubbed this year? Why was American Splendor snubbed? They were too low-profile (Sideays/American Splendor) or too quirky (Kaufman). :P

Is it right this way? No, but it's the reality.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm deciding whether to give this a B+ or A- now.
I really liked it. But I did not LOVE it and that is why I am leaning towards a B+ and because I have had some problems buying alot of stuff in the movie...

(spoilers)

I can understand how Larry would go crazy for Anna
and I could understand why Portman would go for Dan

I can't quite believe Anna would be so attracted to Dan. I'm thinking maybe she was from the beginning when reading his book, before they met... but I was not fully convinced.
Then.... I can understand Anna falling for Larry, but...
I just cannot comprehend her breaking it with him for her affair with Dan... even if she might be doing to hurt Dan, they were clearly "in love" if that exists in this movie. I think they needed to give Julia a little more screentime and more scenes that build on her attraction, whether she still loves Dan or Larry or if she's only out there to hurt them as much as she can.... I couldn't understand which...

the relationships are actually quite symmetric.

Larry loves Anna and she is the only one he wants. He has only but a faint desire for Alice and he did not need to act on it if he wanted to.

Alice loves Dan and doesn't really want anyone else either.

It's Anna and Dan's relationship that puts the entire cycle into motion... their on and off affair is the source of the lying and hurting.

Dan is really the main character because he's manipulating everyone's lives, though at the end it turns out just about everyone one of them manipulated, played, and had their fun with him. He loves Alice but desires Anna, plays with Larry and of course has the inevitable confrontation. Yet, Anna is the source of his doings and she perpetuates it after he has started it.... so they are rightfully campaigned as leads, while Owen and Portman are supporting.

I just wish Julia had a little more time in it. I really liked her and I love the roles she has been picking... she really shines through Erin Brockovich, Ocean's 11, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (havent' seen Full Frontal but I want to). She is so much more attractive in these kinds of dark and deep roles.

O well, B+ it is!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:34 pm
Extraordinary

I thought the film was fantastic, it really deserves a Best Picture nod, though it probaly won't. I hope Portman and Owen get a nod though, those 2 really impressed me.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:07 am
Forum General

Today, the whole day in school... the more I thought about the movie, the more I liked. I'm considering changing my grade to an A-.
Although it won't end up in my year's 5 best films (none of mine will end up on the academy's) it deserves the nod so far from what I have seen as Oscar buzzed.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:43 pm
life begins now

I thought the film was fantastic, it really deserves a Best Picture nod, though it probaly won't. I hope Portman and Owen get a nod though, those 2 really impressed me.

That's an awesome FYC ad. She looks absolutely beautiful in it. I especially like the bottom picture, for some reason.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:54 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

The best part of the movie or feature fo the movie is Natalie Portman's face on that picture, I just LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next