Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Fall Guy 

What grade would you give this movie?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Fall Guy 
Devil's Advocate

Post The Fall Guy

Quote:
The Fall Guy is a 2024 American action comedy film directed by David Leitch and written by Drew Pearce, loosely based on the 1980s TV series about stunt performers. It follows a stuntman working on his ex-girlfriend's directorial debut action film, only to find himself involved in a conspiracy surrounding the film's lead actor. The film stars Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Hannah Waddingham, Teresa Palmer, Stephanie Hsu, and Winston Duke.

The Fall Guy premiered at SXSW on March 12, 2024, and was released in the United States by Universal Pictures on May 3. It received generally positive reviews from critics, and set a Guinness World Record for the most cannon rolls performed in a car.

Fri May 03, 2024 10:37 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Fall Guy
This is a fairly average action comedy elevated by truly impressive action scenes and the cast. The script is nothing special and you often forget you’re watching a comedy since there’s so few laughs in the film. But it’s a decent enough diversion.

Fri May 03, 2024 11:55 pm
The Kramer

The comedy parts worked for me and made me wish this had been directed by Shane Black or someone with similiar sensibilities. However, I was the only one (of like ten people in the theater) who was laughing at the dumb jokes like how 90% of the weapons turn out to be props. I didn't love the constant reference and meta humor though.

The action scenes are well done and all, but I just didn't think they were all that necessary when I was enjoying the other part of the story more. There's several movies squished into one here and that's what really doesn't work as seen in recent projects like Argylle and The Bubble. This is way better than those turds at least.

6.8/10

Sat May 04, 2024 4:04 am
Extraordinary

I thought this was quite enjoyable.

Sat May 04, 2024 10:55 am
Superman: The Movie

Poor Jody. Does she know she’s Zack Snyder?

It’s a lot of fun. Feels a little long toward the end, but the movie gave me what I wanted: great stunts and Ryan Gosling being charming as hell.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Fun movie, the concept of highlighting the role of a stuntman is good, but the romance and plot of the disappearing actor is not quite. Emily Blunt is great and Gosling has good charisma too, but I just don't feel the two of them being that good of a match. I like the film references in this and the humor is better than the action, which is a bit disappointing as Leitch forte should be action, but the stakes aren't high and just I think they should picked a different story in some ways to make this more interesting. I've had a good time with this, but more in the vein of Hobbs v Shaw and Atomic Blonde than Deadpool 2 and Bullit Train which are superior films. This makes me once again think that Stahelski is the better director between him and Leitch, even though he former hasn't proven himself outside of the Wick films yet. So this is entertaining and with some good bits, but also finds ways to falter and I had higher expectations for it.

B

Sun May 05, 2024 5:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

I thought Blunt gave a great performance and really made the on set scenes work. The action scenes in the middle of the movie spruce it up but everything after ATJ's confession just made the movie longer and more expensive. I'm glad they didn't make it all happen on one escalating bad night cause that's kind of been done before. I liked the old fashioned villains reveal. Overall solid action comedy.

Tue May 07, 2024 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]