Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire 
Keeping it Light

Post Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Quote:
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is a 2024 American supernatural comedy film directed by Gil Kenan from a screenplay he co-wrote with Jason Reitman. It is the sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) and the fifth film in the Ghostbusters franchise. The film stars Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Celeste O'Connor, and Logan Kim reprising their roles from Afterlife, alongside Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts, and William Atherton reprising their characters from the earlier films. Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, Emily Alyn Lind, and James Acaster also join the cast. Set two years after the events of Afterlife, the veteran Ghostbusters must join forces with their new recruits to save the world in New York City from a powerful death-chilling adversary who seeks to build a spectral army.

Following the success of Afterlife, Sony Pictures announced the sequel in April 2022, with Reitman returning as director. Kenan later took over as director from Reitman that December, while the rest of the cast reprised their roles. New cast members including Nanjiani, Oswalt, Lind, and Acaster were announced in March 2023, with principal photography commencing that month and wrapping in June. It is the first film in the Ghostbusters franchise to be released following the death of Ivan Reitman, who posthumously receives credit as a producer, while the film is dedicated to his memory and celebrates the 40th anniversary of the first film.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire had its world premiere at the AMC 13 Theater at Lincoln Square in New York City on March 14, 2024, and was released in the United States on March 22, by Sony Pictures Releasing under its Columbia Pictures label. The film received mixed reviews from critics.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:23 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
The original is a movie that shouldn’t have worked but did thanks to Murray’s sarcasm, Ramis’ intelligence, Aykroyd’s…batshit insanity, and Ivan Reitman’s ability to balance tone and comedy.

These new films are going for sincerity and I think that’s why they work for me for the most part, but with Murray mostly absent (and checked out when he isn’t) that leaves the comedy in this one mostly to Aykroyd, Rudd and newcomer to the franchise Kumail Nanjiani. Aykroyd brings the energy, Rudd is the concerned “teacher”, and Nanjiani is wasted. The comedic material isn’t there.

The third act also feels bizarrely rushed, possibly reshot and small scale. Winston says something at the end about worldwide paranormal phenomenons and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I think that’s potentially acknowledging a third movie and an in-world expansion of the brand, but how about some shots of ghosts in other countries.

If they’re going to make a third one they have to bring in one or two comedic ringers in lead roles. They also need someone funnier than Kenan and Reitman to help with the script (which this film’s script undoubtedly had to be given to several comedians for punch-up).

Also, how are you going to include Slimer and not have any of the original cast acknowledge him? And how do you have Atherton and Murray face one another again and have the dickless line referenced by some offscreen crowd member who wasn’t even in the room to hear that conversation in the original? And based on Afterlife I thought no one remembered the Ghostbusters even though their existence and ghosts existing would be a world altering event?

And I like Bill Murray, especially as Venkman, but I’d rather he not be there if it feels like he’s being held at gunpoint (or as “community service” for ruining Aziz Ansari’s movie and being a dick).

C+

Edit...

Ghostbusters (1984) - A+
Ghostbusters: Afterlife - B+
Ghostbusters II - B
Ghostbusters (2016) Theatrical - B
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (dumb title) - C+
Ghostbusters (2016) Extended - C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I've also for some reason been bombarded with seeing Ghostbusters groups on Facebook and Reddit and it's been very enjoyable watching them meltdown over the critical response and trying to convince themselves this is fantastic. I've been there before with Superman Returns and Man of Steel. It's nice seeing it from the other side.

"Not every movie is trying to be Oppenheimer."

No shit. This movie isn't even (and shouldn't be) trying to match the original Ghostbusters and it's barely scraping by on being just amusing.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty meh. Nothing in particular stood out besides maybe Paul Rudd.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Superfreak

Jmart wrote:
it's been very enjoyable watching them meltdown over the critical response and trying to convince themselves this is fantastic. I've been there before with Superman Returns and Man of Steel

why you gotta trigger my ptsd? :pinch:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 pm
Extraordinary

This was a snoozefest. It takes a lot for me to give a movie a C but the villain was boring and felt like the best scenes were in the trailer (the beach freezing). I maybe laughed once. The last one was much better but just felt like nothing worthwhile happened during the entire movie.

Really had a lot of potential but a meh reception on this one will probably hit the next film. I think they should do a globetrotting one for something fresh and then of course they come back for a grand finale but need some novel type of idea, character, or angle. Maybe there are European Ghostbusters, and they can go to the catacombs in France or something. Something liike "Ghostbusters: A New World."

Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Wow this was bad. I liked McKenna Grace in the last one, but here she loses all her personality. The plot doesn’t really begin until 2/3 through. Literally nothing happens in the first 2/3. The freezing stuff from the trailer is less than a third of the movie. The villain looks cool but he’s boring. Really just incredibly lazy and tired franchise slop.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]