Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 El Conde 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

El Conde 
Keeping it Light

Post El Conde

Quote:
El Conde (lit. 'The Count') is a 2023 Chilean black comedy horror film directed by Pablo Larraín and written by Larraín and Guillermo Calderón. It is a satire that portrays Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet as a 250-year-old vampire seeking death. The film stars Jaime Vadell, Gloria Münchmeyer, Alfredo Castro, and Paula Luchsinger. El Conde premiered at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on 31 August 2023 where it won the best Screenplay Award. It was released on Netflix on 15 September 2023, four days after the 50th anniversary of the 1973 coup d'etat, in which Pinochet seized power. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Cinematography.

Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:52 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: El Conde
What a bizarre idea for a movie - take the story of Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet and combine it with that of Count Dracula. And then make the entire thing about his children squabbling over inheritance money. Honestly, its the type of thing I would normally skip. Yet I saw Pabblo Larrain turn a Princess Diana movie into a claustrophobic thriller, so if anyone could pull off such a task...

And he did it! Wonderful movie. I ended the movie both highly satisfied with what I just watched and equally upset that I didn't get to see it in theaters. Screw you, Netflix. I wouldn't have even known about the damn movie if not for the random thought of "I wonder what the Spencer guy is up to."

Anyways, El Conde probably isn't for everyone, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone who like Poor Things or What We Do In The Shadows.

9/10

Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]