Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Basic Instinct 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Basic Instinct 
Devil's Advocate

Post Basic Instinct

Quote:
Basic Instinct is a 1992 neo-noir[3] erotic thriller film directed by Paul Verhoeven and written by Joe Eszterhas. Starring Michael Douglas, Sharon Stone, George Dzundza, Jeanne Tripplehorn, and Wayne Knight, the film follows San Francisco police detective Nick Curran (Douglas) as he investigates the brutal murder of a wealthy rock star. During the course of the investigation, Curran becomes entangled in a passionate and intense relationship with Catherine Tramell (Stone), an enigmatic writer and the prime suspect.

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:05 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Basic Instinct
Had always been putting this one off, assuming that it'd just be a trashy trash film. Why? Well I suppose it was from having to watch the Basic Instinct 2 trailer a million times back in 2003 or whatever. Sex and violence!!!

Finally decided to give it a try just out of respect for Paul Verhoeven, who has made 4 other films that are great or just bordering on it (Robocop, Starship Troopers, Total Recall and Hollow Man.) So glad I did! This film holds up way better than the other sex thrillers from this era I've watched recently (Body Heat and To Die For were both meh.) It's not only sexy, but sleek as well. Sleek and sexy! The mystery is somehow compelling even though the movie tells you who the killer is in the very first scene. But the harder that Douglass falls for her, the more that we the viewer also start to doubt what we saw. Great writing and direction to pull that off, but it is Sharon Stone we must give most of the credit for. Somehow, her performance in this is undersold in the media. There's way more to it than just the pussy/tits scenes! Quite possibly the best femme fatale performance in movie history.

So I'll give Basic Instinct a 9/10. Guess I have to go through the entire Vorhoeven filmography now too.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]