Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Wonka 

Grade:
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Wonka 
now we know

Post Wonka

Quote:
Wonka is a 2023 musical fantasy film directed by Paul King, who co-wrote the screenplay with Simon Farnaby, based on a story by King. It tells the origin story of Willy Wonka, a character in the 1964 novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, featuring his early days as an eccentric chocolatier.[5] The film stars Timothée Chalamet in the title role, along with newcomer Calah Lane and an ensemble cast including Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, Rowan Atkinson, Jim Carter, Tom Davis, Olivia Colman and Hugh Grant.

Wonka had its world premiere in London, at the Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, on 28 November 2023, and was released in the United Kingdom on 8 December and in the United States on 15 December 2023, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Wonka
It's not Paddington but its a fun ride while it lasts though it's also forgettable. Direction, costumes and sets are highlights but it's light on story and while actors are all good no one stands out.

7/10. B/B+

Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:18 am
Hold the door!

Super fun and funny with some really good songs. Can’t stop listening to “you’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This”. I liked that it was mostly standalone and wasn’t constantly bogged down by referencing the original, outside of a couple scenes and character names. Just very unique for an IP prequel, it’s almost held back by being tied to Willy Wonka. It could stand on its own.

Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 pm
Hold the door!

For a Moment is another great song on the soundtrack.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:13 pm
Team Kris

About 15 min into Wonka my wife and I looked at each other and said "This might be my new favorite movie!".

Wonka is a perfect holiday movie that families are going to see again and again. This definitely gave me Greastest Showman vibes. Everything about this movie works. The songs are great, the story is moving, and Chalamet nails Wonka to a T.

I will definitely be seeing this again!

A

Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thought this was pretty lovely. Not too long and I didn't really have any problems with it tbh.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Extraordinary

It's great and a fun time for the family and perfect for the holidays.

I will say it didn't leave the wow factor for me of The Greatest Showman. That one had a similar story but the impact felt longer lasting.

Like the Never Enough song performance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jZVsr7q-tE

The songs were good but I don't necessarily know if we'll see an Encanto or The Greatest Showman zeitgeist type impact.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is also likely my fav book of all time so I probably also had high expectations for it too.

Overall still great but more of an A- for me.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:49 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Wonka definitely brought the Paddington charm. It is very enjoyable. Almost like chocolate. Chalamet commands the screen, continuing to stake his claim as this generation's Johnny Depp. Though I still prefer the Gene Wilder version just for how hilariously cruel he can be.

I'll give Wonka an 8.2/10

Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]