Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Boy and the Heron 

Grade:
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Boy and the Heron 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Boy and the Heron
Quote:
The Boy and the Heron (Japanese: 君たちはどう生きるか, Hepburn: Kimitachi wa Dō Ikiru ka, lit. 'How Do You[b] Live?') is a 2023 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Produced by Studio Ghibli, the Japanese title references the 1937 novel of the same name by Genzaburō Yoshino, which appears in the film, but the film has an original story that is not connected to the novel. The Japanese voice cast includes Soma Santoki, Masaki Suda, Ko Shibasaki, Aimyon, Yoshino Kimura, Takuya Kimura, Kaoru Kobayashi, and Shinobu Otake. Described as a "big fantastical film", it follows a boy named Mahito Maki (Santoki) during the Pacific War who discovers an abandoned tower in his new town after his mother's death and enters a fantastical world with a talking grey heron.

Miyazaki announced his retirement in September 2013 but later reversed this decision after working on the short film Boro the Caterpillar, which was released in 2018. He began storyboarding for a new feature-length project in July 2016, and official production began in May 2017. The film's title was announced in October 2017, targeting a release around the 2020 Summer Olympics. By May 2020, 36 minutes of the film had been hand-drawn by 60 animators, with no set deadline. Production spanned approximately seven years, facing delays as it navigated challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic and Miyazaki's slowed animation pace, before nearing completion in October 2022. Financing for the project involved streaming deals for previous Ghibli films. According to producer Toshio Suzuki, The Boy and the Heron is the most expensive film ever produced in Japan. The screenplay draws heavily from Miyazaki's childhood and explores themes of coming of age and coping with a world marked by conflict and loss. Joe Hisaishi composed the film's score, while Kenshi Yonezu wrote and sang the film's theme song "Spinning Globe".

The Boy and the Heron was theatrically released in Japan on July 14, 2023, by Toho, and was screened in both traditional theaters and other premium formats such as IMAX. The release of the film was noted for its intentional absence of any promotion, with Ghibli choosing not to release any trailers, images, synopsis or casting details of the film in advance of its Japanese premiere with the exception of a single poster. The film received critical acclaim and has grossed over $83 million worldwide.

Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:53 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Boy and the Heron
Animation is stunning. The narrative is more about theme as opposed to character, which didn't bother me much although it made the film much less emotional than it could've been. Overall not my favorite by Miyazaki but still overall very strong.

Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:22 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It's a good movie but not even close to Miyazaki or Ghibli's best. Animation is beautiful and looks great as the movie progresses, there's a bit of inventiveness in some scenes for fire which i love here. The movie feels long while the themes are borrowed from Spirited Away in here the world building feels forced specially because the end brushes through tons of back story in a rushed mess(literally). The side stories don't merge solidly even though there are couple of mentions. The emotional heft is what's missing the most as i never felt attached to the "sacrifice" of family member in the end. Mother's arc is done very well though i felt more time could have been spent (though that would take away some shock factor at the end).

Difficult to rate this one as there are many things that make it really solid movie. I'll go with 8/10(B+).

Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:56 pm
Hold the door!

Hard for me to grade this as it’s not my cup of tea but it was mostly entertaining, if too weird and off the wall for me to call it a favorite. Animation was beautiful though.

Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:10 pm
The Kramer

Will start by saying it was a mistake to see this on the same day as Godzilla Minus One which just set the bar so damn high.

That being said, I still really liked this. The music is probably the standout for me, the piano feeling like it is a main character. Animation is gorgeous and alot of the bird creatures are funny when they aren't trying to murder children. The emotions are high and this movie will hit hard if you have any experience with grief (which should be everyone on here by now.)

It just ... kinda feels like we've been here before though. It reminded me of Nausicaa, though at least that one came out before Princess Mononoke. Heron treads alot of the same ground as Spirited Away, but doesn't feel as special. Suzume, inspired by Miyazaki, also did the whole magic world is about to collapse story better just a few months ago.

So my grade is somewhere in the 6.5-7 range but will require a little more time to settle it.

Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:57 pm
Veteran

I left the theater a bit confused and underwhelmed but eager to see it again. I think it will get better upon subsequent watches. I will pick up on things I missed the first time that, hopefully, will tie the story together. During my first watch, I kept trying to make sense of the world building and the various characters - straining myself to lend to the odd creature or person here or there, some sort of meaning. With that said, I love how the movie progresses from a grounded WW2 drama into something fantastical. The film definitely left an imprint on me.

Grade: B

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:46 am

lilmac wrote:
I left the theater a bit confused and underwhelmed but eager to see it again. I think it will get better upon subsequent watches. I will pick up on things I missed the first time that, hopefully, will tie the story together. During my first watch, I kept trying to make sense of the world building and the various characters - straining myself to lend to the odd creature or person here or there, some sort of meaning. With that said, I love how the movie progresses from a grounded WW2 drama into something fantastical. The film definitely left an imprint on me.

Grade: B

I agree with this here, but would give it a higher grade, like an A- or B+. I think this movie needs repeat viewings because of how metaphorical the film is nature, it is hard to follow, but the animation is stunning and even though I watched the English dub, the voice acting was stellar.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am
Extraordinary

Saw the dubbed version last night, think is was well done.

2nd viewing I kind of didn't feel as enthisiastic as I did the first time lol. Idk I think the narrative feels too random but still, animation is gorgeous.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:19 pm

The movie has sat very well with me. The more I think about it, the more I realize the film is less about death and grief than about legacy. I have more thoughts that I will put into a longer review.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]