Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One 

Grade:
A 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One 
now we know

Post Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One

Quote:
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One is a 2023 American action spy film directed by Christopher McQuarrie from a screenplay he co-wrote with Erik Jendresen. It is the sequel to Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018) and the seventh installment in the Mission: Impossible film series. The film stars Tom Cruise, Hayley Atwell, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Esai Morales, Vanessa Kirby, Pom Klementieff, and Henry Czerny.

In January 2019, Cruise announced that the seventh and eighth Mission: Impossible films would be shot back-to-back with McQuarrie writing and directing both films. Returning and new cast members were announced soon after, and Lorne Balfe, who composed the score for Fallout, returned to score the film. Filming began in Italy in February 2020 but was halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It resumed later that year and wrapped in September 2021 with other filming locations, including Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates. It is the first film in the series since Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) not to involve J. J. Abrams in any capacity.

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One premiered on the Spanish Steps in Rome on June 19, 2023, and was then theatrically released in the United States on July 12, by Paramount Pictures. A direct sequel, Dead Reckoning Part Two, is set to be released on June 28, 2024.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Another good blockbuster entry in the series, I was perhaps expecting for something a bit more epic, but it instead goes a bit more through the motions than I hoped. It mostly feels like a greatest hits of MI films and aside from the villain, an AI supercomputer, it's not very unique and doesn't stand as well on its own as some of the other films. The female cast is really great in this though, Atwell is a great addition and while Klementieff is a bit one-note, she's intense and Ferguson and Kirby have good turns reprising their roles too. So despite not being really wowed, it's still very reliable and enjoyable and Cruise remains the cool cat, I also look forward to part two.

B+

Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:43 pm
now we know

This is absolutely terrific. Tom Cruise never disappoints, and here he's well on form. It's just proper epic cinema, and you really feel the whole team is trying to impress you, trying to entertain you, with no shortcuts taken. It's also funny in the right spots. Easily the best film of the year.

Cruise is just excellent. I love the guy and his ambitious nature regarding films. The ladies in the film are gorgeous, too. Hayley Atwell is strikingly beautiful, and Pom Klementieff is out-of-this-world attractive but also a great performance. It's hard to believe this is the same woman that plays Mantis in Guardians. Her Rome pursuit of Cruise and Atwell in the yellow Fiat is such a good sequence. But they're all great. The Abu Dhabi airport chase sets the film up well as well as the desert skirmish. The finale is just breathtaking cinema. I can't speak highly enough of the film. It's as good as Fallout. I can't wait for Part Two.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Tom Cruise knows how to make movies to be watched on the big screen. In the era of streaming and post covid, Dead Reckoning stands out as must see cinema.

The entire train sequence is breathtaking. I took my daughter who is 11 and the OMG look on her face for about 30 min was priceless.

I know Covid really ballooned the budget but it was money well spent. The car chase through the streets of Rome ( and the Spanish Steps ) was one of the best I have seen.

This movie is why I love going to the movies.
Can't wait for Part 2!

A

Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Pretty great for most of it but I kinda checked out after

Spoiler: show
Isla died. And not only that, but they made it seem like her death was inevitable as if being Ethan's love interest was her only purpose in the story. :mad:

So I have very mixed feelings and can't give it a score yet.

Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:49 am
Extraordinary

Yeah, I didn't particularly like that choice. If they are really gone then that's whack but I feel like they aren't? I guess we'll see in Part II.

I need to rewatch the last 2 but I think I liked this one less than those. The runtime doesn't drag though and action was of course very well done.

Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:07 am
Hold the door!

The second half on the train is absolutely incredible. The tension built and built and built. Everyone was glued to their sear.

The first half was fun but overall very good considering I’ve never seen 4-6, and forget 1-3

Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:13 pm
Romosexual!

A+

2nd BEST M:I :D behind M:3

Hayley Atwell and Pom Klementieff were excellent :wub2: can't wait for Part 2

Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:48 am
Extraordinary

... I'm guessing this was made a 2 parter for budget's sake? Which I guess makes sense since storywise this did not really need to be 2 parts lol

Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:55 pm
Superman: The Movie

For Your Eyes Only on steroids and fillers. If you’re going to borrow, borrow from the best, though not necessarily their best film.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The story also reminded me alot of Mass Effect 3. I could hear The Illusive Man talking anytime someone suggested controlling the Reapers Entity.

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:08 pm
Hold the door!

Ilsa is clearly not dead.

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:11 pm
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
Ilsa is clearly not dead.
Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. But at best they faked her death twice in one movie and sidelined her for most of this movie and presumably most of the next one. Plus, they clearly made Grace into the new love interest, and these type of movies don't have love triangles. Thus why I think they just wrote her out to put over the new villain.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:20 am
now we know

I have a sneaking suspicion they might be setting up Hayley Atwell to carry on the series when Tom quits after Part Two.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:04 am
Profile WWW

Yeah. She’ll be teaming up with Renner.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:38 pm
Profile WWW

I forgot about the handcuffs in the car chase. That chase is borrowing from For Your Eyes Only AND Tomorrow Never Dies. Come on McQuarrie. Steal less obviously.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

So apparently Rebecca Ferguson is younger than Hayley Atwell.

Bizarre to trade out Ferguson for an older actress. Maybe Ferguson just wanted too much money?

Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved it. It’s not as good as the last film, but the set pieces are incredible (the car chase scene is equally as intense as it is hilarious) and the finale is beyond epic. Loved Hayley Atwell here, she was a great foil to Cruise. A-

Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:29 pm
Profile YIM

So Tom Cruise is definitely getting shot out of sub at the bottom of the ocean like a missile in the next one, isn't he? They can steal from James Bond again (The World is Not Enough).

Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]