Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Flash 

Grade:
A 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Flash 
now we know

Post The Flash

Quote:
The Flash is a 2023 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, DC Studios, Double Dream, and the Disco Factory, and set for distribution by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is intended to be the 13th installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The film is directed by Andy Muschietti from a screenplay by Christina Hodson and stars Ezra Miller as Barry Allen / The Flash alongside Sasha Calle, Michael Shannon, Ron Livingston, Maribel Verdú, Kiersey Clemons, Antje Traue, and Michael Keaton. In the film, Barry travels back in time to prevent his mother's death, which brings unintended consequences.

The Flash premiered in Los Angeles on June 12, 2023, and was released in the United States on June 16, following multiple delays caused by director changes, the COVID-19 pandemic, and post-production setbacks. The film received generally positive reviews from critics for its action scenes, sense of nostalgia, musical score, direction, and the performances (particularly Miller and Keaton), but received criticism for its visual effects and climax.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Flash
Very curious about how much this film changed.

Overall it's an enjoyable film elevated by an excellent performance from Ezra Miller, really sucks about his whole thing. Calle and Keaton are both good but don't really get much in terms of character.

Spoiler: show
the whole montage thing of the other universes of Superman was strange... felt fan made lol

Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:10 am
Quality is a great business plan

I thought it was very well made. Movie was a breeze and never slowed down. It was emotional and funny at the same time. It was flash movie entire way. All other characters are just part of the journey. This movie even in slightly different avatar should have come out before Gunn verse was announced.

Since it was a early show audience laughed at most jokes. The last scene of the movie got the biggest applause. Post credit was just pointless. I dont see why they had to hide it from early shows. In fact nothing in this movie needs to be hid. There was no plot twist or anything. Plus trailers did give away shots from across the movie. Still easily the best DCEU movie for me though that is not a huge praise as I never loved any of the earlier movies.

Bring on Andy for Brave and the Bold for sure.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:08 am
Extraordinary

Idk how I felt about the CGI. Definitely surprisingly wonky in some scenes.

There is a scene near the end (which is kind of used in the trailers, strange) at was pretty tearjerky, very well done.

Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:26 pm
Hold the door!

This movie was shot 2 years ago. No reason the sfx should be less than amazing

Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:00 pm
Extraordinary

I thought the same thing... it's not lol

Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Some of the stuff like speed force are not easy to visualize. Those scenes are just bad. I thought all the action scenes were good except the 1st scene at Gotham hospital which was just terrible. It was not even funny as well. But loved all the Keaton action scenes. They were bad ass for sure. Even the 1st one with 2 barry's at his residence. They were very well choreographed and hit the right chord.

That said if you analyze CGI of most SH movies there are warts including many MCU movies. You can look past them if the story was narrated well. here thankfully the movie was very well done. it never slows down and mixes humor/emotions in the right way. I agree with PE on Sasha or Keaton given more to do. But this is already 140 minute movie if I am not wrong. May be there is a director's cut with deleted scenes we will see released later on a disc or something.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I wonder if they put Keaton back into Aquaman, even though they reshot his scenes with affleck

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:51 pm
Extraordinary

idk if this was added last minute but Keaton isn't the Batman in Flash's changed timeline at the end. . lol

Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:59 am
Extraordinary

DCEU ranking (... which I'm assuming after Aquaman is kaput)

Snyder Cut
Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
The Suicide Squad
BvS Ultimate Edition
The Flash
Shazam!
Aquaman
Birds of Prey
Shazam: Fury of the Gods
WW1984
Suicide Squad
Josstice League

Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:34 pm
Extraordinary

It was entertaining but not great, not one of those movies you want to see multiple times.
Keaton was veey good in the scenes he was in.
The sfx were really embarrassing in a lot of scenes, they looked really dated, like matrix reloaded neo vs 100 agent smiths bad.

Spoilers ahead

So in the end Zod wins in the Keaton Universe and Batman and Supergirl just die for nothing. Pretty ballsy.

Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

A

The Flash  was great :D funny, emotional, action packed! Lots of fun cameos.
Ezra killed it! :yes: amazing work! sure there’s some bad CGI here & there but it didn’t ruin the movie for me.

Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:59 pm
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

Spoilers ahead

So in the end Zod wins in the Keaton Universe and Batman and Supergirl just die for nothing. Pretty ballsy.

This was what I was wondering in terms of how the movie changed... like if Keaton was supposed to be in Batgirl if that was a continuation of Flash then I'm guessing the GC addition was last minute...

Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:50 pm
Superman: The Movie

I think a lot of people are going to dismiss the film (especially the beginning) as lame and unfunny. And I don't think they'd be wrong. However, I think it's intentionally doing so. This movie makes the shrewd decision to firmly establish itself as a sequel to Joss Whedon's Justice League. On one hand I don't think it had a choice since Snyder's version isn't canon, but you'd think they'd maybe go for a hybrid of the two. No, this movie doubles down on Whedon's tone and then goes absurd with it.

How can you tell? Well, there's a scene with Barry and a barista that goes nowhere comedically. Okay, the movie is off to a rough start. Then Alfred contacts The Flash (they're all in the JL) and tells him that he has to go to a hospital that has been attacked by Carmine Falcone's son who is there to get some sort of weapon in a briefcase and I believe sets off some sort of bomb (who cares?). Why can't the other members do it? They're all busy. So Barry goes and starts rescuing people. All of a sudden a section of the hospital begins to collapse. What's in that section? The maternity ward. And what begins is a sequence where Barry has to rescue a bunch of newborn babies and a nurse from falling to their deaths. Bad enough, right? Well, as the slow-motion sequence begins we start to see that the fall might be the least of their problems. One baby is parallel to an oxygen tank that's on fire where if it explodes...no more baby. Another baby Barry stuffs in a microwave to keep it safe (it dings at the end so that baby might not be long for the world). If falling nurses and babies weren't enough, a therapy dog comes out of nowhere and is falling. Why? No one wants to watch a dog go splat.

As you can guess Barry saves the day. He puts the babies, the dog, and the microwave on a gurney and leads them to the ground to safety. He also saves the nurse. I might not have done the best job describing the scene, but trust me, this scene is absurd in all the right ways. It doesn't feel too far removed from something you'd see in an episode of Adam West's Batman if it had the CGI and the budget. We are firmly in Whedon territory and long gone from Zack Snyder.

And then to make sure we really get it, the closer to the scene takes place on a bridge. Long story short, Batman and Flash catch Falcone with an assist from Wonder Woman (one last? appearance for Gadot!) who uses her lasso of truth to save them. In the process we get Batman to reveal some secrets and we get the bizarre reveal that Barry is a twentysomething virgin. Funny! Just like most of Whedon's jokes from his JL (like Barry landing on to of Wonder Woman). Well it's not, but I think it's intentional, or it's trying to have it's cake and eat it too.

Why begin the film in Whedon's world? As I said, that was the theatrical version and what they had to go with. But, and I might be giving the movie too much credit, I think they firmly establish this is Whedon's world to firmly obliterate it from existence (there's an extra credit scene at the very end that kind of disproves my theory, but they're also reminding you of another movie coming out in the winter, so who knows?). If you seen the trailer or a commercial, you know what this movie is doing. Flash goes back in time to try and save his mom and dad, the timeline gets all fucked up, Keaton Batman, Supergirl, Zod, a speechless Faora...can Flash reset it absolutely perfect? Take a guess.

Okay, so once we're firmly out of the Whedonverse, is the movie funny? Not really. There are two Barry's and the younger one is kind of too obnoxious until he isn't. Thankfully Keaton shows up and takes over. Then there's Supergirl. Unfortunately the movie doesn't really have the time to make her interesting outside of her Red Son (Daughter/Cousin) set up. Is this their way at poking fun of Snyder's Superman maybe being a little too brooding? If it is it's not quite as obvious as what they do in the first twenty minutes, but also you don't want to piss off those vicious Snyder bots that completely exist.

Listen, is this as good as Across the Spider-Verse? No, but I don't think the gap is that massive, and it's fun. Now, can we get Lord & Miller to team up with Francis Daley and Goldstein on a movie or are they cut throat bitter rivals. Both groups are doing the same kind of thing and they're doing it well.

Bat-tape measure!

Bat-kite!

Bruce-Clooney!???

Did they trade the Snyder/Whedonverse for the Schumacherverse? Set a sequel in that universe you cowards! Come on Gunn! Get Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone back!

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1 ... 96j-Q&s=19

Welp. Apparantly this was the original ending. Bleh.

Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:16 pm
The Kramer

Lol Clooney. What a fitting way for the DCEU to end. :funny:

Movie was alright though. Like a 7.5. The beginning was rough but it got better as it went along.

Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:56 pm
Veteran

I found The Flash movie to be enjoyable, particularly the scenes featuring Batman, which were expertly filmed by Muschietti. His Batman scenes reminded me of the great 1990s animated series. He really has a feel for the character. I was initially concerned about the inclusion of the Kira character being wokish, but I was pleasantly surprised by her performance and scenes. Ezra was exceptional in his portrayal of The Flash. However, some of the action scenes fell short due to the DCEU's overreliance on CGI and the chaotic nature of explosions, faceless minions, and a lack of emotional depth. Back to the positive, the movie also had a good balance of heart and humor. Overall, I would give The Flash a B grade.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:41 pm
The Kramer

Who approved the baby scene? My eyes almost got stuck inside my head from all the rolling they were doing. :funny:

Supergirl was cool. I hope they get a new actress, not just for her but every character in this movie ... except Clooney, but the character has a ton of potential.

Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:16 pm
The Kramer

What's the record for most cameos in a single calendar year? Gadot will probably show up on AQ2 and maybe even Barbie lol.

Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:35 pm
Superfreak

This is exactly the type of film WB needed to be releasing in 2017. Everything about this is truly excellent except the script, which is merely decent. The concept is great, execution great, actors great, action great, comedy great, ending scene great.

Some of the ideas could be a but more fleshed out. But I would give this a solid B+ and think WOM is going to be pretty good.

Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:39 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It’s like hitting a 3 run double in the bottom of the 9th inning but you’re still down by 10. DC could have just been rolling out Justice League now as Marvels leveling out and the stand-alone films could have flourished.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:03 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

up there as one of the best comic book movies. A+ i actually made me like supergirl whom i've always hated

Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:31 pm
Keeping it Light

Good film, it certainly doesn't feel completely whole, with a long production and delays probably not a surprise, but it manages to bring to the screen some pretty nice moments I appreciate it for.
It's a pretty interesting story they chose to make, one the one hand it feels too ambitious for it's own good, I think it mis-steps on some decisions and with some creative turns, but one on the other hand does more right than wrong and manages to be better and more satisfying than most other dceu films.
Ezra Miller is a bit of a mixed bag too, quite good in some scenes, then an unappealing doofus in others, maybe it's the character, or maybe it's the actor, I'm not sure. But it's great to see Keaton back in the role for sure, and other DC character appearances too, the throwback Zod is nice as MoS still remains the best film in this universe. It's too bad Crudrup couldn't reprise his role, and I also have to say that I thought the CGI was as good as it could or needed to be, I didn't find it shoddy, like Quantummania for example. So, yeah, there's just a lot to the film really, to the extent it gets a bit messy sometimes which hurts the engagement and makes it run a bit long. But through it there's also more than enough for it be enjoyable.

B

Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:33 pm
Hold the door!

This was alright but not all that satisfying. The time travel stuff made little sense and there was no reason for Keaton to come back. He’s not even playing the 1989 Batman. He’s playing the same Batman as Ben Affleck who just looks different for some reason that the Flash caused, but isn’t explained. The same movie could’ve just had Affleck play Batman the whole time and nothing would have changed. Supergirl is just there. The humor is just random and not my style at all.

Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:08 pm
Hold the door!

Is
Nicolas Cage actually in this or is it a CG body double. He looked so fake!

Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next