Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Sunshine (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

Sunshine (2007) 

Post Sunshine (2007)
Sunshine

Quote:
Sunshine is a 2007 British science fiction film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland about the crew of a spacecraft on a dangerous mission to the Sun. In 2057, with the Earth in peril from the dying Sun, the crew is sent to reignite the Sun with a massive stellar bomb with the mass equivalent to Manhattan Island. The crew is made up of an ensemble cast consisting of Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Cliff Curtis, Troy Garity, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong, Chipo Chung, and Mark Strong.

The script was based on a scientific back-story that took the characters on a psychological journey. The director cast a group of international actors for the film, and had the actors live together and learn about topics related to their roles, as a form of method acting. To have the actors realistically react to visual effects that would be implemented in post-production, the filmmakers constructed live sets to serve as cues.

Previous science fiction films that Boyle cited as influences included Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, the 1972 Tarkovsky's Solaris, and the 1979 science-fiction horror film Alien. Sunshine was released in the United Kingdom on 6 April 2007 and in the United States on 20 July 2007. The film took £3.2 million in the UK over twelve weeks, and in the USA it was placed no. 13 in the box office on the first weekend of its wide release. With a budget of US$40 million, it ultimately grossed almost US$32 million worldwide.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

For me Sunshine is an movie unsure what genre its suppose to reside in, Action? Suspense? Contemplative? Psychedelic? its at once all of those things and none of them as Danny Boyle pilots the whole ensemble towards its fiery conclusion with masses of style but an edge that suffers from the lack of focus.

From the plot outline which speaks of our Sun dieing and the human attempt to avert the end via a massive nuclear bomb shot into the Sun's core from the Icarus 2 spacecraft you'd think popcorn and throwaway, which would have almost certainly be true if somebody like Michael Bay had been in charge (even though I love the Bay, just not for this film) but Boyle had other plans as in the first half of the movie as least it lays out its stand as a cross between Solaris and 2001 retooled for the multiplex generation.

The emphasis is on the fragility of the human mind and the hypnotic effect the nearing Gas giant has on the crew. Indeed one character takes to frequent interludes in the observation lounge of Icarus starring in silence for long periods as if looking at God, indeed Sunshine is a movie heavy with meaning like this as it places the Sun in the position of an encompassing inescapable entity and just as in Theology God is all powerful and seeing in Sunshine it is the burning fire that cannot be avoided. It proves moments of true cinematic beauty as the viewer is treated to amazing lingering shots and a finely timed score. Just as large parts of 2001 were iconic images Sunshine does a damn good job of challenging the old classic in this area.

In terms of the characters and their development Sunshine won't win any awards. The relatively brisk pace of the movie which avoids any type of needless bloat also has the unfortunate effect of making the characters nothing more then brief outlines. Cillian Murphy does his best to add depth with bouts of fierce eye gazing while Chris Evan's does a great job of making his hard headed pragmatic character the most interesting of the bunch through the sheer force of his performance but elsewhere people like Michelle Yeoh and Rose Byrne never break out into anything of note.

The suspense angle when it swings into view delivers in spades, again its not a question of big explosions and action more of a tensing danger to it something Boyle at least for the first 2/3 of the movie should be highly commended for. You may have noticed I've only said 2/3 because if the movie ended there I'd have no hesitation giving this a very high A grade instead its the final 1/3 that hits out into leftfield Event Horizon batzo territory.

Quite simply Boyle must have shown the original drafts to a bunch of movie executives who completely missed the brilliance of the opening parts and insisted on loud action insanity. So what we get is a character from the Icarus 1 (an earlier failed mission which the Icarus 2 had taken a detour to investigate when it received its distress beacon) that seems to be the twin brother of Sam Neils possessed scientist from Event Horizon. Hes a tad crazy to say the least which precipitates much mayhem and stuff blowing up which I normally don't mind but in the context of what had gone before is completely out of tune.

And the main ending itself althou packed with some of the most beautiful shots I'm likely to see this year is a bit of a cop out as if Boyle was totally unsure how to wrap the movie up in a conventional sense and went for a Religious/Science mishmash that feels like a cheat.

Ultimately despite the many plus points and memorable images Sunshine is a film that like Icarus itself flew to close to the Sun for comfort. An enjoyable movie but it could have been a masterpiece.

B+

Last edited by Gulli on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:46 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I'm so angry right now.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:47 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

C-

I'm so angry right now.

How come? I'm asking seriously now because this is the first bloody movie i've reviewed in ages that somebody else has actually seen so I'd like another viewpoint. No vagina wash jokes I beg of you.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:03 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

It didn't feel like a movie, did it. It felt like a National Geographic documentary. The dangers they encounter are just 2nd rate, it feels original because it's fascinating. The way the characters die off, are just boring and uneventful. The angle Boyle should of played more was with the whole oxygen and the whole 2 people have to die for the rest to live. I thought that was done well. The characters are also boring, the whole lot of them. The way Evans' characters dies is laughable. The horror element was very paper thin and did nothing for the film as a whole.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:41 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

We look for different things in movies its seems getluv. The first 2/3 felt like staring into the depths of madness for me and done brilliantly, I wouldn't call it a national geographic style film myself its a bit to vague for that.

The characters I'll grant you weren't great but I think the imagery was a compensation, it was the themes that kept me interested over the characters which were cyphers more then anything.

I'd agree with you on the terrible shittiness of the horror element that crept into the thing near the end. If Boyle had the balls to go with the Oxygen issue over an Event Horizon rip-off I'd have been happy. I was tempted to give a low B because of the end section but I loved what occurred before that to much.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am
You must have big rats

Seeing this on Wednesday. Pretty excited.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Alright, loyal. Spill it. How'd you see it?

:er:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:40 am
College Boy Z

http://www.vcdquality.com/index.php?pag ... e&id=68617

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 am
Extraordinary

Conceit.

After building up my hopes with it's hard sci-fi setup, this movie proceeded to aim lower and lower, until it finally hit it's target of rock bottom horror clichés...

By the end, I couldn't care less about this steaming pile of Boyle dung...

He continues to create great set-ups that end up sabotaging their own promise. He hasn't made a really great movie since his big screen debut with Shallow Grave in 1994 -- the guy's clearly coasting on fumes...

2 out of 5.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:41 am
Extraordinary

...I would have liked more 2001 and less The Core.

I coulda gone for more of either...

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:43 am
College Boy Z

Can someone tell me this is as good as it looks? Please? I'm really excited for it but even bradley isn't satisfied, so I'm a little concerned.

:sad:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:43 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Can someone tell me this is as good as it looks? Please? I'm really excited for it but even bradley isn't satisfied, so I'm a little concerned.

Its really good until the last 30 minutes. :sad:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:47 am
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:

Its really good until the last 30 minutes. :sad:

I'd say it's more like it's really good for the first 30 minutes (out of 108 minutes) then it gets worser and worser... :sad:

(...and anyways -- wadda ya mean "even bradley"! :huh: )

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 am
College Boy Z

I actually like your taste in movies. :thumbsup:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:07 pm
Extraordinary

I actually like your taste in movies. :thumbsup:

Wadda ya mean "actually"?!? :rant:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:16 pm
Extraordinary

it's pretty much two movies taped together.

From a review:

Quote:
Watching Danny Boyle's sci-fi thriller "Sunshine" is a lot like sitting down to watch something like "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Alien" and discovering to your horror that someone inadvertently replaced the last couple of reels with those of "Jason X."

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 pm
loyalfromlondon

loyalfromspringfield wrote:

From a review:

Quote:
Watching Danny Boyle's sci-fi thriller "Sunshine" is a lot like sitting down to watch something like "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Alien" and discovering to your horror that someone inadvertently replaced the last couple of reels with those of "Jason X."

Funny, since Alien is a horror movie right in the vein of the classic slashers....

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
loyalfromspringfield wrote:

From a review:

Quote:
Watching Danny Boyle's sci-fi thriller "Sunshine" is a lot like sitting down to watch something like "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Alien" and discovering to your horror that someone inadvertently replaced the last couple of reels with those of "Jason X."

Funny, since Alien is a horror movie right in the vein of the classic slashers....

I'm no expert on classic slashers, but I've been told by those in the know that Jason X is far from achieving classic status.

Still your point would be a good one, if Sunshine was a tenth of the movie that Alien was...

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

My point was more that Alien, in itself, is more similar to something like Halloween than something like 2001. It's a hybrid of the two, but it's clearly more horror than sci-fi.

Sunshine, on the other hand, sounds more like Event Horizon. Am I right?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 pm
College Boy Z

I love Event Horizon, so if it's like that...

:smile:

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:45 pm
Extraordinary

072507 @ a Screening 100% no previews

Sunshine reminded me of Solaris alot with it being heavy on dialogue and story but this story was a bit more interesting than Solaris. The feel was very much the same though. I liked the cast. It was pretty diverse but without the token black bloke. The idea and concept of the story was very interesting from the beginning. I like how simple ideas can become pretty interesting films once the filler parts are mixed into the middle. I thought the acting was good and the sound great and visuals were excellent. I did not like the use of the stowaway from the first Icarus mission. He apparently was Radioactive man or something and I did not like the use of him stating how he spoke with God or other words to that effect. I didn't see the point of having an insane guy being connected with religion. I thought they still could have had just as compelling a story going on w/o his use. Overall, I thought the film was good though not great. The visuals and depiction of space stood out the most for me.

B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

http://www.dementedfrog.com/Sunshine/su ... eview.html

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was incredibly fascinating and well-made. The direction is impeccable and the visuals are nothing short of amazing. The characters presented were interesting and likable, and I actually didn't mind the abrupt change in tone at the end. The middle portion (or second act, as some are referring to it as here) was flawless and my favorite part of the film. Anyways, definitely recommended.

B+

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:27 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next