Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Ring 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Ring 
College Boy Z

Post The Ring
The Ring

Quote:
The Ring is a 2002 American psychological horror film directed by Gore Verbinski and starring Naomi Watts and Martin Henderson. It is an American remake of the 1998 Japanese horror film Ring.

Both films are based on Kôji Suzuki's novel Ring and focus on a mysterious cursed videotape which contains a seemingly random series of disturbing images. After watching the tape, the viewer receives a phone call in which a girl's voice announces that the viewer will die in seven days. The film was a critical and commercial success.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 am
We had our time together

I'm not that of a horror fan but The Ring really captured me. Maybe my favorite horror movie.

A

Last edited by Riggs on Sat May 07, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:23 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Last edited by zingy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:26 pm
Superman: The Movie

I wish my old account on Yahoo was still working, because I could paste my review on The Ring here. The only reason why I say this, is because I haven't seen the movie in a long time, and I don't wish to see it again anytime soon.

The only thing that I remember from my review is that I said it was the most overrated movie to come out in 10 years. Sadly, that's all I remember.

Grade: C-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

One of the scariest films I've ever seen. PERIOD

I'm the man.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I HATE scary movies, and even the stupidest ones tend the scare the crap out of me. But, this one was not scary at all. There wasn't one part that scared me, and I don't understand what could of scared so many other people.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

10/10

Last edited by baumer72 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I recently watched this, and I must say it is much better than I remembered it to be. It's not horrifying, but it does provide a few scares, and it is very eerie and creepy. The Samara coming out of the television is definitely the best scene in the film, and the score is very well done. All of the actors are excellent in their roles, especially Naomi Watts. The story is wrapped up very well. It has excellent pacing, and I after this I cannot wait to see the sequel.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

Good movie, i didnt find it scary at all like other people!

Far better than the crappy sequel

A-

Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:44 pm
George A. Romero

One of the most boring movies i have ever seen. i just do not see why people think this movie is scary. i almost dozed off several times.

F-

Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:06 pm
New Server, Same X

It's not so much scary, just well-made. For a horror film, that's like the best thing ever.

Grade: A

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:37 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

One of my top five favorite films of all-time. A truly perfect and terrifying experience.

10/10 (A+)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:29 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

This is an old school horror film, 27 October 2002

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Let's just get right to the point. The Ring is the scariest horror film I have seen in 20 years. Horror has been enjoying a healthy revival since 1996 when Scream got everyone interested in horror again. That is a good thing. What isn't so good is some of the cheap crap that has come out since then. For every film like The Sixth Sense and Blair Witch, you have a plethora of other films that have no idea what true horror is really about. Too many film makers think the best thing to do with horror is make a rockin' hardcore soundtrack and give us buckets of blood because this disguises the fact that most of them can't pace a film or invoke true chills. Gore Verbinski's The Ring returns to the roots of horror and pays homage to the early greats like Halloween and Psycho but almost goes a step past the greats, not quite but almost.

The Ring does something that only a handful of horror films have done, and that is it stays in your subconscious hours and days and weeks after you watch the film. Gore Verbinski and Ehren Krueger have combined to make a masterpiece of modern horror that goes beyond anything that has come out for the last twenty years. This film is that good. For a guy who grew up loving films like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, I have been yearning for a film like this. A film that not only is a great scary film but a film that is a pure kinetic experience, one that makes me look behind me at my silent television sitting in the corner of the room. Is Samara there? When my radio begins to go haywire and search for stations on its own, is that Samara? This film gets inside of you and stays there. But it eats away at you like the nightmares that Malcolm McDowell is forced to watch in A Clockwork Orange. It attacks your mind and berates your senses. Samara is one bad ass villain. The Ring is a masterpiece and as I have already stated, this is the best horror film to come out since 1984 when Freddy Krueger stalked us in our dreams. The Ring may have it's roots in Japanese horror, but it owes much of its pedigree to all horror greats of the past, whether they are American, Canadian, Japanese or Italian. There is a bit of it all in here and the results are kinetic.

When I watch a horror film, I know it is effective when that chill comes over you. Not the kind that makes you want to put a jacket on but the kind that literally starts from the nape of the neck and goes down the beginning of your butt. It's the chill that attacks your body and tells you that you are now at the mercy of the film and nothing you see from here on out is going to be expected. That is how The Ring is. The Ring had me scared. It had me nervous and it had me thrilled. Having fear envelop you is one of the most primal emotions you can experience. The Ring is a primal movie.

There are a myriad of reviews in here that will tell you how amazing this film is, you should listen to them. This is a year that has been blessed with brilliant horror. With superb efforts like Mothman Prophecies, Frailty and now The Ring, 2002 should be known as the best year for horror films since the early 80's. If you only see one horror film this year, please see The Ring. If you want to be scared, see The Ring. It is a guarantee that this film will frighten and maybe even traumatize you.

If films like The Changeling, The Shining and Halloween are synonymous with horror to you, then add The Ring to your vernacular.

Oh, and you will never look at your television set the same again.

And one final note. There is one infamous scene in this film, near the end, and I'm sure we all know what it is, and this is one of those scenes that will stand the test of time as one of the great images in horror films. I know horror aficionadoes will recall scenes like Hitchcock's shower scene, the bouncing ball in The Changeling, Michael Myers rising in the background at the end of Halloween, the head spinning scene in Exorcist, Freddy's tongue coming out of phone in Nightmare on Elm Street and Jason's first kill wearing his hockey mask in Friday the 13th Part III just to name a few. But *****************big spoiler here if you have not scene the movie********** when Samara comes out of the T.V., that is one of the most indefeasible and primal scenes I have seen in any horror film. It shocked me and thrilled me all at once. It is an image that will never leave my mind and it is just one of a plethora of scenarios that makes the Ring such an absolute masterpiece.

Sat May 07, 2005 9:04 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The Ring is not only one of the very best horror movies of this decade, it also firmly sits in my all-time Top 10 of horror movies and belongs to the very few films that truly scared me. I was seriously frightened on my way back home in the dark after my viewing. The film itself blew me away and presented a whole new kind of horror to me. I saw the original Ringu some time later and I must say that the remake is quite superior. Gore Verbinski does an excellent directing job giving the film its grim and dreary style. Naomi Watts is a good lead and the scares...oh boy...the scares really work. Every single one of them. The film has some of the greatest jump scenes I have ever witnessed. And that conclusion...

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Favorite horror film ever.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Cracking horror, easily one of the best to come out of the tepid hollywood horror scene in years. I love both versionS equally but will say this is the more even of the two, and i literally jumped out of my cinema seat during the TV climax.

A

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:11 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed this creepy little remake - quite an effective scare treatment. I'm just glad I saw it in the theatre, I'm not going anywhere near VHS/DVD anything for a while...

4 out of 5.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 am
Sbil

Post Re: The Ring
This movie still holds up after six years. Very creepy and atmospheric, and Naomi Watts is one of the best protagonists I've seen in a horror film. A-

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:37 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love love love this movie. I'll definitely be watching it for Halloween this year. But yes, one of the best horror films ever, without question.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 pm
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

Definitely one of the better atmospheric horrors of the last decade. Not only is it stylish and scary, but it's got some great homages to classic horrors throughout (specifically Hitch's films, but there's also the score echoing Suspiria's). It's well-acted, well-scripted, and well-directed. I like it a lot.

Too bad about the sequel, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 pm
Orphan

This is on TNT right now. Very good film.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

A

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:01 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

My favorite horror film ever. It's not that scary, but it's very creepy and some of the imagery is plain disturbing...quite a feat considering there's hardly any gore or blood. It's very tense, Naomi is fantastic (good acting in a horror movie! what a miracle!), and Samara is a great villain.

A

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next