Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Asteroid City 

Grade:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Asteroid City 
now we know

Post Asteroid City

Quote:
Asteroid City is a 2023 American science fiction romantic comedy-drama film directed and co-produced by Wes Anderson from a screenplay by Anderson and a story by Anderson and Roman Coppola. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Steve Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie, Tony Revolori, Jake Ryan, and Jeff Goldblum. Its plot follows the transformative events that occur at an annual Junior Stargazer convention in the retro-futuristic version of 1955.

Asteroid City had its world premiere at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on May 23, 2023, where it competed for the Palme d'Or. It was released in the United States via a limited theatrical release on June 16, 2023, before expanding to a wide release on June 23, 2023, by Focus Features.[

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Asteroid City
I thought it was fine like most of Wes Anderson's films. Visually on point and cast is good but the story and film overall felt hollow.

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:12 am
Superman: The Movie

Wes Anderson’s Inception.

I don’t think it’s my favorite Anderson, but it’s clear he’s becoming more confident as a filmmaker with each new film. I think he’s at the point where he’s just kind of showing off (Bryan Cranston popping up in the middle of a scene, paraphrasing, “Am I supposed to be here?”).

You know how people wanted to live on Pandora? If it weren’t for the bomb testing I wouldn’t mind living in Asteroid City. Just camp myself out on the abandoned ramp.

Best movie of the year.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Asteroid City doesn’t stray far from Wes Anderson’s formula, but a great cast and funny concept/jokes make this among his most enjoyable takes on his own genre.

Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:57 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This was a little confounding for me. In a lot of ways, yes it’s a Wes Anderson movie, but in other respects I really felt like it was reaching beyond his “formula,” with mixed results. The whole meta- forurth-wall thing led to a disjointed emotional core, I didn’t feel much heart or humanness despite the potentially emotional themes, and I was left feeling a bit befuddled, empty, sometimes a little bored. There’s a lot to admire but admiration from afar is not what I go to the movies for. (Also the interstitial cards listing the Act / Scene numbers felt unnecessary, jarring, and a reminder that the movie was passing more slowly than I would have liked if I actually were enjoying it / emotionally engaged).

Still, it’s unique and interesting, worth a watch.

B-ish

Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:46 pm
The Kramer

The main part of the story within Asteroid City is pretty good with a beautiful aesthetic, lots of great performances and even more funny lines. What you'd expect from a Wes Anderson movie.

However, I lost a little bit of interest every time they cut back to the black and white part. And it happens so often that I was almost checked out by the time Margot Robbie shows up (Jason Schwartzman being able to pull her and ScarJo in the same movie would make this movie a fantasy even if there weren't any aliens involved?)

Tough one to grade. Lets say an 8 for the color parts, a 5 for the b/w, bringing it to a 6.5 overall.

Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]