Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fast X 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Fast X 
now we know

Post Fast X

Quote:
Fast X is a 2023 American action film directed by Louis Leterrier from a screenplay by Dan Mazeau and Justin Lin, based on a story by Mazeau, Lin, and Zach Dean. It is the sequel to F9 (2021), the first part of the final installment in the mainline Fast & Furious franchise, and the eleventh installment overall. It stars Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto alongside an ensemble supporting cast including Michelle Rodriguez, Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Jason Momoa, John Cena, Jordana Brewster, Nathalie Emmanuel, Sung Kang, Brie Larson, Alan Ritchson, Daniela Melchior, Scott Eastwood, Helen Mirren, Charlize Theron, and Rita Moreno.

Fast X premiered at The Space Cinema Roma Moderno in Rome on May 12, 2023; it was released first in parts of Europe on May 17, and in the United States on May 19, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 16, 2023 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Fast X
Another fun and exciting entry in the Fast franchise. There's plenty of high octane action to keep us entertained for a very long (though obviously not nearly long enough) two and a half hours. I liked the return to Brazil since it also brought the return of racing, girls shaking their butts in transition scenes, random spanish music, large groups of people pointing guns at each other and most importantly Daniela Melchior. She won our hearts in The Suicide Squad, but here she won over another part of my body. God damn. Vin plays Rocket League with a bomb in Rome. Cena brings a miniuture plane as his carry-on on a commercial aircraft. There's a lot to like.

However, there are also a few things that put in a tier below Fast 5-9 for me.

1) There's way too many damn characters. The movie bounces around so much and has no focus whatsoever. We introduce three more people here, two villains and a hero, while bringing back two people banished from the last movie AND the one remaining dead character is back too. And since death means nothing, the story seemingly wiping out a good chunk of the main cast at the end has no impact since we know they'll all be back next time (in a tease if nothing else.) I know it was meant to be two-parter (now three?) but you gotta give some arcs a conclusion and Fast X had no desire to do that. Just keep setting up the future movies!

2) Jason Mamoa playing the Joker didn't do it for me. I see a lot of people online saying he was the best part though. So to each their own.

3) While there's a lot of highly entertaining action spectacle, they don't set the bar even higher with a ridiculous new stunt like the bank vault, cars parachuting, fighting a plane, tank, submarine, military drone or going into space.

So I'll give Fast X a 6.9. It gave me what was promised, but not as much of it as I expected.

Fri May 19, 2023 3:40 pm
Extraordinary

So silly and dumb but pretty entertaining.

Honestly since (... spoiler) pretty much everyone is coming back I am looking forward to the next one.

Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 am
Keeping it Light

I ate this up, much as the films before it. For better or worse taken together it's very much a fast film again, some parts are better than in previous films and some parts are worse. Being into this series from the beginning, I've felt some form of fatigue slipping in since the 8th film, yet I remain quite fond of the action set pieces that are both ridiculous and inventive. I like how this tied into the fifth film, the opening introducing Momoa as a hidden character from that film was well done and as a whole I liked the introduction of his character better than Cena's in the previous film. In itself Momoa is pretty good too, he plays an effective combo of weird and menacing.
While there's some fun to the many characters, most familiar, some new in this, there's really too many to make it all reasonably work, the film's not long enough for it. But also the film is really long enough, there's just so much of soapy relationships and explosive action I want to take in one go. Also I found Dom's son kind of annoying. And while I was thinking during the film it may be best they wrap up the franchise right here and there, I then again liked how they ended this one with its most distinctive cliffhanger yet, and I'll want to go see the next one too.

B

Sat May 20, 2023 10:51 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was ridiculous but entertaining. Way too many storylines and characters though, and some of the acting was atrocious. But for the most part it delivers what you expect. B-

Sun May 21, 2023 11:21 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

It gives Fast fans exactly what they want so it's a home run in that department.

Agree it has so many characters. Dom's family table for their BBQ isn't nearly that long to accommodate everyone.

Seems like a bunch of people are back who's careers recently have had misfires or stalled. So Fast seemed like a safe bet for them.

Theron is so campy but she's really entertaining in every scene she's in. You can tell she really enjoys it. Some great action as well.

B+

Tue May 23, 2023 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

3, 7, 8, 1, H&S, X, 2 (Recommendation line) /// 6, 5, 9, 4

This is the one major series outside of a horror franchise where I think I'm actively rooting for the bad guy. If it weren't for Dom's kid (who I really only care about because he's a kid), I don't think I'd have any attachment to the heroes. I'm going to pretend until "11" comes out that everyone in the plane died, especially Tyrese's. Do people like him ironically or unironically? I keep hearing how he's hilarious in these movies. To me, he is where charisma and humor go to die. He's been in seven of these. He made me chuckle once in this one, and I sincerely cannot think of a moment where he's made me laugh in the prior movies. Can his character specifically burn to a crisp? Like, can he run around on fire first in complete agony and then die? Nothing against Tyrese himself, but give the laugh lines to Ludacris. Give them to Han. Anyone else please.

But who am I kidding? No one dies in these fucking movies, especially if you don't see a body. They only die in real life and even then we are 100% going to get a CGI Brian in the final film, even if his absence between "Fate" and now make no fucking sense. Everyone is going to survive the crash. John Cena is absolutely going to come back. This movie's ending isn't a cliffhanger so much as it is a pause button.

And yet, as you can see by my rankings (which are mostly out of date before Five), I liked it. What doesn't work is the Dom / Family plot, mostly. There are elements I did like within their subplot (Han), but overall, I just don't give a shit about them. It's not until Statham comes in where that plotline finally gets some life to it, and then he drives out of the movie. I also enjoyed the Theron/Rodriguez team up. Their fight scene is the best scene in the movie. More of that please.

To me, the two elements that make this movie work are Jason Momoa and John Cena. I've heard people complain that John Cena is completely different from who he was in the last movie. Yeah. And since when have people cared about character continuity in these movies? Who gives a shit? And he turned into a good guy at the end of the last movie. And Jason Momoa absolutely gets the assignment. He's awesome. Yeah, his character is just another Joker or Silva from Skyfall, but he's having so much fun in the role that it's infectious. I kind of wish the entire movie was Cena, Momoa, with more Theron/Rodriguez, and only small hits of the family. But this is Vin's baby so that sure as shit was never going to happen.

After F9 this was a return to form, which is merely being good, and I'm shocked because I really like Lin and find Leterrier to be hit and miss. None of these movies are better than a B+ (except maybe Tokyo Drift, but I haven't seen that since 2007(?)).

Maybe a little less CGI next time.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed May 24, 2023 2:36 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This wasn't good at all. :(

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]