Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Marvels 

Grade
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Marvels 
Devil's Advocate

Post The Marvels

Quote:
The Marvels is a 2023 American superhero film based on Marvel Comics featuring the characters Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, and Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the sequel to the film Captain Marvel (2019), a continuation of the television miniseries Ms. Marvel (2022), and the 33rd film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Nia DaCosta, who co-wrote the screenplay with Megan McDonnell and Elissa Karasik. It stars Brie Larson as Carol Danvers, Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau, and Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, alongside Zawe Ashton, Gary Lewis, Park Seo-joon, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Saagar Shaikh, and Samuel L. Jackson. In the film, Danvers, Rambeau, and Khan team up after they begin swapping places with each other every time they use their powers.

Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:36 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Marvels
I think I actually liked the first Captain Marvel more... yeesh

I didn't watch Ms Marvel but the actress was great, wish she got a better movie. Idk, Captain Marvel is just a boring character so far.

Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:39 am
The Kramer

I thought this was a great time. It's a Marvel space movie through and through, but those are usually my favorite kinds. Think Thor 4 without one of the main characters dying from cancer (though it is not entirely cancer-free, the only one who dies from the big c is someone we already knew was dead.) The body swapping adds a new element which keeps the action scens admirably hectic. I'm so glad they delayed it by a few months cause it really shows in the special effects. No more garbage, blurry 'what is that supposed to be?' cgi that plagued Quantummania. Actually this is the movie that Quantummania should have been. Guardians-lite. With lots and lots of cat humor.

I also like they pretty much acknowledge that Captain Marvel is kind of a bitch. She doesn't need a team to help her do things, she's plenty powerful enough to handle everything on her own, but she needs Kamala and Monica as moral compasses to stop her from being the Annihilator.

I didn't like how they kinda just handwaved the body switching away at the end. I can accept some scientific goobly-glock about why it was happening in the first place, but you gotta give me more than "we're not entangled anymore." With the way people are stepping on this movie, that could easily end up being the new "Somehow, Palpatine returned." As usual they sum up the tv shows within a line of two, meaning they really never needed to happen (though I'm glad they did.) Oh and the villain is a total Nothingburger. Though ... the entire time I was staring at her hammer wondering "what if this was Ronan?" I guess that's why they keep the villains alive in the comic books.

So I'm gonna give The Marvels a 8.9/10 with the potential to get up to a 9 on second viewing, which I plan on making next week before all the big movies of the holiday season start dropping.

Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:34 pm
The Kramer

The song and dance planet was also hilarious.

Though if you think about it, this movie is kind of analogous of the MCUs downfall. Captain Marvel came in, guns blazing, and tried to destroy the patriarchy without really considering the consequences. The resulting Kree civil war is the splintering of the fan base between pro-woke and anti-woke while Captain Marvel mostly ignored that growing issue trying to do everything everywhere. The dead star of the Kree homeworld is what Disney sees every time they compare their 2023 box office to 2019.

Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was fun and action packed but also very light in narrative. The body switching adds fun to the action scenes and Iman Vellani is amazing and I really hope the mid-credits scene really takes off. Nothing much to add other than the movie felt hacked to make it small in runtime for some reason and surprise on dance planet though it wasn't done as well as watiti did with 'Sakaar and the GrandMaster' in Thor Ragnarok.

7/10. Solid B+

Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:54 pm
Team Kris

I went in with very low expectations having seen a lot of negative online chatter. While this doesn't have a new big bad villain, or little connections to other MCU characters, it was very enjoyable and much better than Ant Man from earlier this year.

I loved the Ms. Marvel Disney+ show and her character adds much needed humor and fun to the often stale Carol Danvers. They do a quick explanation of her and Monica's powers so viewers who didn't watch the Disney+ shows won't be completely lost.

Like all Marvel movies post Endgame this does nothing to build towards a future Avengers team up. But the end credits scene was amazing! Seeing Beast in the MCU and setting up the X-Men in future movies was brilliant.

Solid B.

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Not awful, but the whole thing is incredibly low stakes. Like it’s just a Marvel movie that exists, generic and mostly inoffensive. I enjoyed the singing planet and the Flurken attack scene. The beginning of the movie is the best part, as the mystery as to what’s going on is intriguing. The rest of the movie’s answer is less so.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:13 pm
Extraordinary

I had low expectations but it was a fun time. I think a big issue with MCU right now is a lot of meh villains. It's partially why the Loki show I think is so popular because its an interesting villain at the root.

Kamala actually I felt was the strongest of the key 3 in terms of keeping the movie fun. The other two were very stiff and it felt like she genuinely just loved being there (as a character and as the actress itself).

Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is far from amazing, but also far from bad, and Marvel actually surprised me a bit, it's the most different MCU film since Ragnarok. There's a bunch of generic and silly stuff in it, I could really have done without the (Pakistan) family and the villain and story don't amount to much. It's of course still hard to continue this universe and built something back up after the massive scale of the Infinity Sage. This film is noticeably smaller in scale, not necessarily a bad thing, because while it's plot is not that interesting it's a way better film on every level than Quantumania (which tried hard as a franchise builder).
This luckily has a bunch of fun stuff in it too, the teleport switching is pretty frenetic and well done and there are several entertaining scenes, like the arrival on the water planet. Vellani is pretty good as Ms. Marvel too, I had to get used to her in the first scenes, but she grows in the role well, and the three leads make for a good trio all together. Captain Marvel is still the lead however, and I think they should have just called this Captain Marvel 2, as I don't think Parris gets to do enough for this to be considered a real ensemble of Marvels. So it's not great, but it has some flair, and I lean to believe it's because of DaCosta's hand in it and all together this is no worse than the first film. I found the the last scene pretty dull, I just don't know those characters enough (didn't watch any of the tv-series), to care for some teenage avengers team-up film. But seeing Beast in the mid-credits was pretty awesome though.

B-

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]