Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dracula: Dead and Loving It 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Post Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Quote:
Dracula: Dead and Loving It is a 1995 comedy film starring Leslie Nielsen, directed by Mel Brooks. It is a parody of the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker, and of some of the films it inspired.

Brooks co-authored the screenplay with Steve Haberman and Rudy DeLuca. He also appears as Dr. Van Helsing. The film's other stars include Steven Weber, Amy Yasbeck, Peter MacNicol, Harvey Korman, and Anne Bancroft.

The film follows the classic Dracula (1931), starring Bela Lugosi, in its deviations from the novel. Its visual style and production values are particularly evocative of the Hammer Horror films. It spoofed, among other movies, The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) (also by Columbia Pictures). As of 2011, it is the last film to be directed by Brooks.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Leader of the Pack

YAY! I love you Nebs! This is one of my favorite comedies of all time and highly underrated! A++++++++
:cheer: :biggrin:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's been a while, but from what I remember... good.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:50 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Indeed so bad, it killed Mel Brooks' will to make movies.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Can't blame just one movie. Chalk it up to 20 years of diminishing returns.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

-Not only is it the most faithful interpretation of the Bram Stoker Novel, thats what Brooks is all about. He doesn't just spoof the material, he is a true pro. The sets are flimsy and the costumes are second rate to illistrate the cheapness of the original Dracula.

-Great jokes throughout with a hysterical performance by Peter MacNicol as Renfield. Young Frankestein and Dracula: Dead and Loving it (While not the masterpiece of Frankenstein) is what the Scary movies could never be.

A-

Brooks really should have made more spoofs, this film had such a terrible release date, Christmas 1995, thats a great time to release a PG-13 horror spoof. Same time as Toy Story and Jumanji, though it still managed a 4.3 multiplier after its very small opening.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:12 pm
now we know

Post Re: Dracula: Dead and Loving It
This isn't very spoofy (unlike Wrongfully Accused) and thus it isn't very good. The content it draws from is narrow which makes the gags, of which there are few, fairly laborious. I raised a smile maybe twice throughout. The highlights are the two beauties and their cleavage; Amy Yasbeck and Lysette Anthony. But the film is quite the miss. It needed more pizzazz, more happening, a broader subject of horror monsters or horror cliches in general to poke fun at, and just to be more risque. I haven't seen Blazing Saddles yet but, boy, this film doesn't make me want to either.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]