Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Stargate 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Stargate 
College Boy Z

Post Stargate
Stargate

Quote:
Stargate is a 1994 American military science fiction film released through Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) and Carolco Pictures. Created by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, the film is the first release in the Stargate franchise. Directed by Roland Emmerich, the film stars Kurt Russell, James Spader, Jaye Davidson, Carlos Lauchu, Djimon Honsou, Erick Avari, Alexis Cruz, Mili Avital, John Diehl, French Stewart, and Viveca Lindfors. The plot centers around the premise of a "Stargate", an ancient ring-shaped device that creates a wormhole enabling travel to a similar device a galaxy away. The film's central plot explores the theory of extraterrestrial beings having an influence upon human civilization.

The film had a mixed initial critical reception, earning both praise and criticism for its atmosphere, story, characters, and graphic content. Nevertheless, Stargate gained a cult following and became a commercial success worldwide. Devlin and Emmerich gave the rights to the franchise to MGM when they were working on their 1996 film Independence Day (the rights to the Stargate film are currently owned by StudioCanal, with Lions Gate Entertainment handling most distribution in terms of international theatrical and worldwide home video releases); however, MGM retains the domestic television rights.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:21 pm
Veteran

B+

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I used to love it as a kid. Very flawed, but fun. I love the whole Space God's thing..... I wish I was Ra :P :oops:

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Crap. Apart from Kurt Russell is army gear, i love the beret.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This movie is not necessarily challenging or demanding, but it sure is a lot of fun. The plotline is original to a certain degree and the pacing is great. I believe some more imagination couldn't have hurt when it came to the world that they enter on the other side of the Stargate, but that didn't bother me much. James Spader and Kurt Russell were perfect in their respective roles and I really liked the way the plot of this movie evolved. The visuals were very nice and the movie has some good action to boot.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:43 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Great premise. But Stargate is an abomination on every level. It's not even fun; it's boring.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:25 am
Hot Fuss

I really, really forgot how much I loved this movie. Silly... simple... not hugely creative, but it works!!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Stargate
Everything on Earth and involving the Pyramid is awesome, the subplot of Spader, the girl, and the villagers is probably average at best and brings it down, but Kurt and Spader do an awesome job other than that.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Stargate
I remembered this as not great, but liking it, and I just caught it on tv again and I was actually not that impressed. I feel I mixed up my memory with some elements of the SG-1 tv series that followed. The beginning is interesting, and the concept of the whole Stargate is pretty good, just half the stuff on the other side is not that exciting, much like the desert itself. The pacing is actually alright though too, but for this to be actually good it needed to have more to the story. The stuff with the primitive civilization is pretty dull and the shoot'em-up action feels misplaced. I still like the mythology and idea behind the film enough to give it a bit of a pass.

B-

Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]