Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rocky 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Rocky 
College Boy Z

Post Rocky
Rocky

Quote:
Rocky is a 1976 American sports drama film directed by John G. Avildsen, and written by and starring Sylvester Stallone. It tells the rags to riches American Dream story of Rocky Balboa, an uneducated but kind-hearted debt collector for a loan shark in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Rocky starts out as a club fighter who then gets a shot at the world heavyweight championship. The film also stars Talia Shire as Adrian, Burt Young as Adrian's brother Paulie, Burgess Meredith as Rocky's trainer Mickey Goldmill, and Carl Weathers as the champion, Apollo Creed.

The film, made on a budget of less than $1 million and shot in 28 days, was a sleeper hit; it made over $225 million the highest grossing film of 1976, and won three Oscars, including Best Picture. The film received many positive reviews and turned Stallone into a major star. It spawned five sequels: Rocky II, III, IV, V and Rocky Balboa.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:14 pm
Award Winning Bastard

A+

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:22 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I am not a Rocky fan. No, sir. But this first one is kinda watchable, as it manages to be a little involving.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:24 pm
Superman: The Movie

One of, if not, the best sports film ever made.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

One of, if not, the best sports film ever made.

A+

With apologies to Million Dollar Baby, it's the best film ever made about boxing.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:27 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Maverikk, RAGING BULL called. And he's the one who wants a fucking apology. :tongue:

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:29 pm
College Boy T

Raging Bull is definitely the best boxing movie.

I appreciate Stallone's efforts to get Rocky made more than I appreciate the movie itself.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:31 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk, RAGING BULL called. And he's the one who wants a fucking apology. :tongue:

Raging Bull is somewhere around Cinderella Man for me. Good and bordering on great. :good:

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:32 pm
Teh Mexican

this movie just doesnt do much for me, and i hate Stallone... so...

Not a Rocky fan AT ALL

C-/D+

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:57 pm
College Boy Z

I watched this and Rocky II back-to-back this week and remembered how great this was. It's not like the best film ever, or the best boxing film I've seen, but it's a great, greeeeat sports drama and a fun watch.

B+

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Love the theme song.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:05 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Rocky
The Original ROCKY get's an "A+" right off the bat and while were at it, throw ROCKY II into the mix as an "A+" for the mere fact that the movie sort of seems like a continuation from the 1st film timeline wise for the re-match between the child being born... It's because of these 2 movies that Stallone never should've considered making ROCKY 66: ROCKY Fights Pyramid Head from SILENT HILL..

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I dont care what anyone says,this film deserved the oscars it got,just an amazing inspiring movie where the hero loses the fight but wins the girl.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I know a lot of scorcese fanatics want to call Raging Bull the best, but something about Rocky is that it is a timeless classic and never gets old. Great movie, I also love the Quiet Man and Rocky II-IV. Bring on Rocky VI

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 am
You must have big rats

Rocy s certainly one of the worst Best Picture winners in the Academy history. It is sill a decent film, but pretty much nothng about it stands out. It's your typical underdog story with the only difference that the nderdog doesn't really win at the end. It's not boring, but not really rewatchable to me either. The entire Rocky franchise is horribly overrated.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:01 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Being the New Trailer is up, I'd give it a bump.

A for me, Great movie, though due to its budget it is the most dated, but it still looks pretty dam good even for today. Stallone really could never top Rocky as far as Im concerned.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:42 am
Mod Team Leader

In my opinion, this is the best sports film ever made, it is the best film of 1976, beating a highly over rated Network, and it deserves every accolade bestowed upon it.

10/10

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

One of the best sports movies of all time

A pure classic

A+

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 am
Superman: The Movie

B-

Rocy s certainly one of the worst Best Picture winners in the Academy history. It is sill a decent film, but pretty much nothng about it stands out. It's your typical underdog story with the only difference that the nderdog doesn't really win at the end. It's not boring, but not really rewatchable to me either. The entire Rocky franchise is horribly overrated.

*Corny mode on*

Oh but he does win in the end, just not in the ring.

*Corny mode off*

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:27 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's solid enough, but it never gave me any desire to watch the sequels.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm
now we know

I've watched Rocky a few times (not as many times as many here might think so), but I've just watched it again for the first time in years. It's truly splendid. I just adore every scene. I was gripped yet again by Sly's simple but effective acting and its lovely and romantic storytelling ability.

One thing I noticed, even though it won an Oscar for Best Editing, the editing was a little rough-around-the-edges....but still, what an achievement to produce such a fantastic collection of scenes with such a humble beginning as the movie had. It has some of the best lines in movie history, and some of the most touching pieces I've ever witnessed. When Rocky comes out of his apartment and chases down Mickey to be his manager, for example, is just such a warm scene. Many others too. Burgess Meredith was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor Oscar here. Oh, and I have to say....Talia Shire is so beautiful.

A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:22 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I watched this again on my flight back from the UK. I love it so much. I notice new things with each viewing. Such as .. the fight and training section actually comes quite late into the film. It feels as if it was a 150-minute film cut down to a 120-minute film at times. It's so gorgeous how Rocky and Adrian's relationship begins, and I thought that it would probably be heralded as rape these days how he corners her, stops her from leaving, gives her an non-reciprocated kiss, etc. But anyway, it's a masterpiece of a film. Even with such a small training sequence. Literally, it is mostly running with the odd shot of a one-handed push-up. That's it! Still an A+.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This has been one of my earliest favorite films and just gave this another watch yesterday. A truly classic film, it certainly feels bigger and more important because of all the sequels that have followed since, but it's so great on its own anyway. From the story itself of the underdog, to the particular script, the Philly setting, the score and the performances, it all comes together perfectly. This time I noticed how much I liked Burt Young as Paulie, just a great role, and considering the budget the film feels really grand. The film is wholesome in how every creative decision ends up being the right one.

A+

Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:04 pm
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
It's so gorgeous how Rocky and Adrian's relationship begins, and I thought that it would probably be heralded as rape these days how he corners her, stops her from leaving, gives her an non-reciprocated kiss, etc.

I watched some (female) youtuber watching/commenting on this movie a year or so ago. She interpreted it the way you described and afterwards thought for the entire rest of the movie that Rocky was supposed to be a villain, or at least a negative character. She then thought that the movie showed him losing to Apollo as a sort of comeuppance, to close this villain's character arc in a satisfying way.

She also didn't realize throughout the entire movie that Adrian was supposed to be shy and lack self-esteem, even though the movie makes that abundantly clear through not only her behavior, but by also giving her those big nerdy glasses. However, the youtuber interpreted those glasses as being a sign of Adrian actually being fashionable and self-confident, since that type of glasses is now worn by 'hip' people. Therefore, Adrian would have easily been able to get any guy (or maybe just chose not to, because she wasn't interested in guys), until evil Rocky came along and raped her.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next