Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 John Wick: Chapter 4 

Grade:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

John Wick: Chapter 4 
now we know

Post John Wick: Chapter 4

Quote:
John Wick: Chapter 4 is a 2023 American neo-noir action thriller film directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Shay Hatten and Michael Finch. The sequel to John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) and the fourth installment in the John Wick franchise, it stars Keanu Reeves as the title character, alongside an ensemble supporting cast including Donnie Yen, Bill Skarsgård, Laurence Fishburne, Hiroyuki Sanada, Shamier Anderson, Lance Reddick (in one of his final roles), Rina Sawayama, Scott Adkins, and Ian McShane.

Originally set for release on May 21, 2021, John Wick: Chapter 4 was first delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film had its premiere at the Odeon Luxe Leicester Square in London on March 6, 2023, and was released in the United States on March 24, by Lionsgate.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: John Wick: Chapter 4
This is a very mid-tier franchise for me - I can always appreciate the action setpieces but find the mythology incredibly dull - and that is true for this one here though the confident and often insane action sequences here make it easily the best of the series. The last hour is nonstop chaos, and the aerial shot of the fight in the Paris house is an amazing sequence. I have no emotional attachment to any of the characters here so those beats didn't land for me, and as per usual with this series it's way too long. But I enjoyed it for the most part and can respect that it's well-made. B

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:38 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

I may need to see it again at some point even on streaming just to catch the aerial sequence in Paris as I might’ve missed it because I was so absorbed in it haha but this was a blast. The action was amazing in this as it was in 3, and honestly, I hope it’s not just me, but I find the mythology and would building a bit too complex so I really just enjoy it for the action set pieces as well which are well worth it I’ll

The entire Japan sequence alone is fucking breathtaking

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:43 pm
The Kramer

John Wick 4 should win Best Picture. What a rush!

I was worried about how they would handle the extended runtime, but the answer was just to make all the action setpieces 10-15 minutes longer. What a great idea! I was actually surprised when it ended because it didn't feel like three hours at all.

The Osaka Continental scene might be the peak of cinema thus far.

And then it maybe got topped by the Hotline Miami inspired overhead tracking shot in Paris?

Every part with Caine was priceless. I liked how he and Nobody got their own arcs within the bigger picture. The first two didn't really have time for all that, only John and Winston ever got to grow.

Yeah

10/10

Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:01 pm
The Kramer

Despite my 10/10 grade, I did think the ending was a bit weird. Not just because he died. It's been said over and over that the only way John would get out is via death. It just felt like his job wasn't done yet. The table is still out there and in charge of everything, nothing has really changed. I think he should've taken them all out before finally succumbing to his wounds.

That's more of an issue with the entire series. I guess they'll continue the story on television then do a Chapter Five sometime down the road? This isn't really the finale.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:05 pm
The Kramer

Why does this still only have 3 reviews? Where my KJ bros at? :mad:

Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:01 pm
Keeping it Light

Great film, love how it continues and concludes the Wick saga. Though John has been shooting his way through three films already, it still has not gotten old, the moves and set pieces feel fresh all over again. It's a real action epic, from how it delves into emotional connections and the development of its world and its runtime. The length is nice for finding moments of connecting the story together and having the right amount of action scenes making for a very satisfying watch. I find only inklings of fatigue in a gun being using as a throwing object, a moment of hand-to-hand combat being not too polished and the score in the previous films seems to have felt better. But the cinematography and the gun choreography is top notch and it does so well in rounding out the story, more nice dialogue about their codes and rules, some full circle moments and a cool collection of baddies. Keanu remains super appealing in the role, it's hard to imagine him not reprising it, but for now it has finished on a high.

A-

Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:31 pm
Extraordinary

I've loved the last three and this was was great. What was nice was it felt like Caine had some of the best one liners in the movie. Given his film career he seemed perfectly cast in this role. I'd rather get a Caine spinoff than Ballerina so hope to see him again. A fun movie with beautiful cinematography and locations that doesn't feel as long as it is.

A

Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:35 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It's just more of the same, but this time it feels overly repetitive and tired. The thing about this film that's different to the other three is this one doesn't make you feel cool. It's lost that x-factor as well as being overlong and hokey. Keanu's lines here are a tad embarrassing, even on a level where one understands it's Keanu "whoa" Reeves. It's so awkward. And I was never fully converted to the John Wick world. I could appreciate its attempts at world building, even in the others, but it was never a world that I instantly went 'yes, this makes sense to me, I love it'. It always felt made up as they went along, and Chapter 4 doubles down on that. The whole thing is just silly. There are countless opportunities to kill John Wick but they're never taken. And the high table or whatever other organisation has possibly the worst management in the history of film because after the 650th henchman is killed, it would either cease to exist as an entity or the leaders would cut their losses. One principle to kill one man is not worth a thousand others. They would just bury the story that Wick is still alive, rather than send another 100 men to die and be humiliated as a criminal organisation that can't kill one dude.

The stakes also aren't there in this fourth movie. They should have raised them by having a larger than life or special-in-some-other-way assassin to take out Wick. But they don't. They instead have a blind assassin, lol, that we're all meant to fear, and that plays cards with instead of kills John Wick. It's ridiculous. Then there's Bill Skarsgard, a high table Marquis that suddenly appears in the fourth movie for the first time. And don't get me started on that soldier of fortune black guy with the dog that is seemingly invisible by the fact that nobody just shoots it. So many bad decisions in this film that undercut the original idea and coolness of the franchise. More than one aspect highlights it but I'll pick one; Mr. Wick is kicked down eight flights of steps ... he could've stopped himself from falling after or during the second flight. But the stunt man is told to keep the roll going, and so he does. That was embarrassing but it's so indicative of lots of the problems in the movie. They were also present in the previous movies, but either not to the same extent and because the other films still had that gel that forms it all together, that in-film believability, and the goodwill of still being on the film's internal wavelength. This fourth chapter lost those things and so exposes the issues more.

There are, of course, some great action sequences and cool ideas, such as the one-shot aerial view with that blast gun and the Champs Elysees sequence is good on a visual level. But you just can't beat the first film for a well-contained action film that over-delivers on expectations. Here the action is forced to be bigger and fresher, which then unfortunately comes with built-in implausibility. You just can't help it, but it wasn't for me. I have already reached my limit of how many times I have to see him getting hit by a car or shot without dying in the fourth movie, when most people seemingly won't reach that until John Wick 27.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 02, 2023 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]