Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 

Grade:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 
now we know

Post Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Quote:
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is a 2023 fantasy heist action comedy film directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, who co-wrote the screenplay with Michael Gilio from a story by Chris McKay and Gilio. Based on the tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, it is set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and has no connections to the film trilogy released between 2000 and 2012. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis and Hugh Grant.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 10, 2023, and was released in the United States on March 31, 2023, by Paramount Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Entertaining but nothing really noteworthy to me tbh. Fun cast.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 pm
Hold the door!

This would be fantastic if the jokes were just a little funnier. A lot of clever scenes and jokes but most of them stop short of laugh out loud. But the heist style plot is done well and the whole thing kept me invested the whole time. Very impressive visuals with a good mix of practical and cg effects. And there is no weak spot in the cast beyond the actress playing the daughter who I found very dull. Justice Smith and Sophia Lillis prove they have comedic chops, and Rege Jean Page is good in his limited scenes.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:03 pm
Hold the door!

Also, is it normal for advance showings to have no previews? I missed the first couple minutes because I arrived at 7:02 for a 7:00 advance screening. Usually trailers would even start until like 7:07 for a 7:00 show.

It was a normal movie theater advance showing that anybody could buy tickets to

Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am
Extraordinary

The Amazon prime screening I went to had previews

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:39 pm
Hold the door!

Saw it again with friends last night. Really great action sequences, and super entertaining.

If it was a little funnier, it would be an A

Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:16 am
Wallflower

I thought it was fine. I wasn't really bored (maybe a little at the start). It had a few laughs. I'm not that big into fantasy movies so people who are will definitely enjoy it more.

6/10

Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:33 pm
The Kramer

Have never been a huge Dungeons and Dragons fan, I like my board games to end in reasonable time (Ticket To Ride is the best), though I am a fan of many D&D related works like Warcraft, Elder Scrolls and obviously the Papa of all modern fantasy - Lord of the Rings. So it was easy to understand the world even if I didn't understand the goobly-glop of words they were throwing at us. The best part about this movie is that I don't think you have to understand any of it. The movie is constantly making fun of its source material while still respecting it at the same time. It was a tough balance to land, but dammit they sure nailed it.

I had a smile almost the entire movie. The quips are frequent, but they rarely ever undermine the dramatic moments. The whole party is fun to hang out with. The villains are appropriately dispicable. There are various cool creatures, interesting intellectual species and of course a certain very famous factor playing a gnome for gno reason at all - but its hilarious and earnest at the same time.

My favorite bit was the brain creatures. The paladin says "the higher your intelligence, the more danger you are in." Then the brains just casually walk by the entire party. Chris Pine "well thats a little insulting." :funny: :funny:

And of course JARNATHAN!!!!

The one big drawback is that there's a couple scenes where you can do the Leo pointing meme like "I've seen that before in Guardians or Suicide Squad or Avengers" (the red witch was not a fan of the one Avengers-like scene. Puny god :lol: ) The movie is always better when giving us something unique like the druid escape scene or the thicc dragon. Luckily Honor Among Thieves packed enough creativity to avoid being labeled as a ripoff of better movies.

So I'll give Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves a 9.4/10 and would probably see it in theaters a second time if this spring period wasn't so crowded. 2023 is off to a really great start.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Enjoyable and good fun.

More or less agree with zwackerm and Flava'd in that some jokes fell just short / original (or unique) ideas > the similar things it tries from past films. But when the jokes and humor land, and when it's doing its thing, it's excellent. The entire cast was great, and films are always better when they're clearly having a fun time.

Visually, it's one of the better films in recent years, and so far, it's deserving of an Oscar nod here. The welcome use of practical effects went a long way here. There are moments of bad green screen, especially during the games, but the majority if either satisfactory or even very good.

B+/A-.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Loved it. Refreshing and fun yet still can be taken seriously. Best big screen fantasy since LOTR.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:11 am
Devil's Advocate

I definitely think its sense of humor is its strength. The graveyard scene was probably the highlight and I found the Rege Jean-Page morally pure but a knob to be around character really funny, and the whole Jarnathan and opening and closing narration device is great. The little insults towards Simon's confidence/sorcerer skills throughout the movie also worked. Justice Smith (which I'm now realizing isn't the Will Smith kid, I would have complimented him for proving he has more game than I expected) is a standout for me and Pine figured out some kind of Jason Bateman thing here that works.

My biggest issue is the CGI felt pretty fake to me, I feel like more retro goofy graphics would have worked fine for a comedy like this and would've allowed them to cut the budget in half and have a sequel. Even Cooper's excellent cameo would've been better if it wasn't so deep fake looking. There is some great extended visual sequences like the animal transformation escape and sneaking the painting onto the carriage, but I also think in a movie that's half an hour too long if it truly added anything or if it was just showing off, although I did think in the latter's case them doing all that work and then it getting ruined cause they dropped the painting on the floor was funny, although they didn't pull the trigger by making that plan end up totally useless.

They do a good job making all the characters strengths come in handy at different parts of the movie, and I think the ending is smart character arc wise, it took me a bit to realize why they would give away their mom for a warrior who died an honorable death, but Holga was her real mom, it would be sacrificing Kira's mom for his wife if he didn't revive her. Grant is a solid smarmy villain though the witch outside of letting her be annoyed by Forge, is straight out of a Marvel movie and gets the same ending.

Overall I was pretty happy with this. I can see this becoming a sneaky favorite for some people.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:53 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

It would be a shame if Paramount didn't try for a follow-up with a smaller budget and better release date.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]