Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Cocaine Bear 

Grade:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Cocaine Bear 
now we know

Post Cocaine Bear

Quote:
Cocaine Bear is an American dark comedy action film directed and co-produced by Elizabeth Banks and written by Jimmy Warden. It is inspired by the true story of the "Cocaine Bear", an American black bear that ingested a duffel bag full of cocaine in 1985. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Keri Russell, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Christian Convery, Alden Ehrenreich, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Brooklynn Prince, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Kristofer Hivju, Hannah Hoekstra, Margo Martindale, and Ray Liotta in one of his final performances before his death.

Cocaine Bear was released in the United States on February 24, 2023, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Cocaine Bear
Entertaining and not longer than it had to be. Overall solid.

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:28 pm
The Kramer

Now this was a proper chompfest.

It's also much more of a real movie than I thought it would be. After the great opening scene, we have about 15-20 minutes of setup that felt like it took forever. I was prepared to come in here complaining about the cocaine to bear ratio being way too unbalanced.

But when the carnage starts again it is brutalicious. And yet its always so funny. I felt bad laughing at certain horrific death scenes (those poor paramedics...) but just couldn't help it. For most of the film, the bear is Jason Vorhees. By the end, the bear turns into the trex from The Lost World and we're actively rooting for it. It was exactly what I was hoping for and actually overdelivers in the form of:

Spoiler: show
Baby Cocaine Bears!

And Ray Liotta gets a fine send off in his final film.

9.4 grams / 10

Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:37 pm
Hold the door!

This was breezy and enjoyable and delivered exactly what it promised, no more. The lack of heft keeps it from being a classic of the genre.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:16 pm
Wallflower

I definitely enjoyed it. I feel like too much of the humor didn't land but I did still find enough of it funny. It's easily at its best when the bear is on the screen. I loved how gory it was.

B-

Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:03 am
now we know

This film is incapable of moving away from its 'ha ha, this is so random' bear-takes-cocaine logline. Unfortunately that just doesn't sustain a feature-length movie. And even more unfortunate for it is that it's not all that funny nor all that wince-inducing and shocking. Within about half-an-hour the concept had run its course for me, and the script is pretty threadbare.

It definitely mirrors the shallow and unamusing character of its director. In better hands, there is a solid film to be made here but this one is made for teens. Anyway, I'm glad I saw it for Ray Liotta.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's ok, there are some funny and gory moments, but I find it's not committed to either. Though it pretty much delivers on what its title suggests, it misfires on the pacing as we go from bear moment to bear moment, the scenes without it aren't very interesting and it falls short of being a solid bear on a rampage film. Liotta is a highlight though and I also liked Keri Russell in it.

C+

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:37 am
Devil's Advocate

It takes a little bit to get going but I ended up enjoying this. It plays like a slasher more than a comedy for a lot of it to me, but the movie is filmed in enough of a "real" way that the gory deaths or injuries feel legitimate. Then it takes another few weird turns genre wise with Liotta getting involved, the cop betrayal and then almost Spielberg-like climax (although I wish the lighting was better), but always having some humorous self awareness behind its emotional beats.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]