Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Knock at the Cabin 

Grade:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Knock at the Cabin 
now we know

Post Knock at the Cabin

Quote:
Knock at the Cabin is an American apocalyptic psychological horror film directed by M. Night Shyamalan, who wrote the screenplay from an initial draft by Steve Desmond and Michael Sherman. It is based on the 2018 novel The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul G. Tremblay; it is the first adaptation of one of his works. The film stars Dave Bautista, Jonathan Groff, Ben Aldridge, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Kristen Cui, Abby Quinn, and Rupert Grint.

Knock at the Cabin was released in the United States on February 3, 2023, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Knock at the Cabin
Found this annoying for the first half but surprisingly found the last act made the film work overall.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:48 am
Superman: The Movie

Acting is great minus Grint's Boston accent. But I just didn't give a shit.

C

And the trailers basically gave away the entire movie minus the final decision.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I loved this, but had the feeing I’d be in the minority on that.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm
Hold the door!

This was fairly standard for an M Night movie, was mildly invested throughout but it never got too exciting, and it never seemed to have much of a point. It was nice to see West Chester though. A friend of mine ran into M Night while he was shooting the flashforward scene where Andrew is with a grownup Wen. He lives very near me. I have friends who have met him. Hopefully I’ll meet him someday too.

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:54 pm
Keeping it Light

Interesting idea for a film, and some of the ideas in it aren't bad either, but the execution left me unsatisfied. In the moment it actually kept me interested to see where it was going, but in the end it never took a turn that left me surprised or impressed. I couldn't really wrap my head around the story, it comes across as nonsensical. Maybe some of it is the point, but anyway, it does have suspense so I didn't have a bad time.

C+

Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:54 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was great. Really intense and well-shot. Ben Aldridge, Dave Bautista and newcomer Kristen Cui were all excellent. As has been said there's not much that hasn't been spoiled by the trailer and this does a great disservice to the film. I don't know what they were thinking. They should have only released that first trailer which was great and intriguing. Keeping things more mysterious might have even helped it out at the Box Office. I certainly don't think it would have done any worse had they done this. It also would have made for a much better viewing experience for audiences. Despite the second trailer giving away every major thing from the movie it did have me guessing up until the end. Wondering if it really was the apocalypse or something else.

Spoiler: show
I would have liked this even more if it weren't actually the apocalypse and had just been a shared delusion or something concocted by Grint's character.

My friend and I had to go to Target to buy the book right after seeing the movie. I had heard the ending of the book is much darker. My friend said no way Universal would have let them get away with the ending of the book and if they had audiences would have HATED it. I planned on just looking up the book ending after seeing the movie but decided to read the book instead. I'm very curious to see how it ends and if I would have preferred it to the ending we got. With a C CinemaScore they may as well have just used whatever that ending is. But I do think the movie's ending is sad enough.

As far as Shyamalan movies go I do think this is upper-tier Shyamalan.

A-

Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:10 pm
now we know

I'm a bit torn on this one. I lean positive, I definitely liked it, but I also wanted a bit more. There's no twist or reveal, which I felt was off for a Shyamalan. It's pretty much sustaining itself throughout with intensity and the intrigue of 'is their story true or isn't it'. It presents a plot via Bautista and co. then rides it out. And you're not going to learn anything more than the trailer gives you.

Bautista gives a decent performance for a wrestler-turned-actor. An intense, good effort. He's become a very likeable face to see in films now. And Kristen Cui is adorable. The others aren't so great. I found Nikki Amuka-Bird, Abby Quinn, and Rupert Grint a bit overbearing. They're overly-dramatic. It didn't feel real. Even the family are a bit odd. They engage these people far too reasonably instead of giving them 'Get Off My Lawn' attitude. I felt that was dragged out a bit. But on the whole it kept me engaged and as always I appreciated Shyamalan's shot selection and his whole suspense machine kicking into gear early on. He's not as great with dialogue as he thinks he is, even with co-writers, but Knock at the Cabin is still a welcome addition to his mystery/thriller oeuvre on a par with, say, The Visit or Old - if only he'd never made After Earth and The Last Airbender.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:32 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I felt like I knew most of what was going to happen in this from the trailers most of the performances didn't quite do it for me, they tried with giving the dads development in the flashback was the right idea but they still feel pretty bland, especially Ben Aldridge just feels like a generic hot guy/poor man's Eric Bana, and I felt like the dynamics and self-doubt etc. of the four horseman could have been more interesting, especially since they kill off the loose cannon of the group first. Overall pretty meh.

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]