Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Aftersun 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Aftersun 
now we know

Post Aftersun

Quote:
Aftersun is a 2022 drama film written and directed by Charlotte Wells, starring Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio and Celia Rowlson-Hall. It was released in the United States on 21 October 2022 by A24 and in the United Kingdom on 18 November 2022 by Mubi.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Aftersun
This movie really sneaks up on you and is a slow-burn until a visceral, gut-punch of an ending that honestly left me speechless and in a puddle of tears. It's hard to believe this is Charlotte Wells's first film, it's so confident and layered in its approach and beautifully rendered. Paul Mescal and Frankie Corio are revelations and have such a lovely believable chemistry. I think Mescal should be in the awards conversation for sure, he was really heartbreaking. The ending set to "Under Pressure" is honestly one of the best since the finale of Whiplash and the best scene of the year, it really ties the whole thing together so beautifully. I want to see this again to put the pieces together but I haven't been as emotionally rattled by a movie as much as this one in a while. A

Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:53 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I agree largely with everything Cory said. I wasn't really feeling this movie for a while. But I loved the last probably 20 minutes and its emotional impact snuck up on me. The ending is gorgeous and indeed one of the best scenes of the year. I absolutely cried. Paul Mescal should be in the awards conversation. Unfortunately A24 is likely to put all of their focus on Everything Everywhere and The Whale. Understandable but disappointing.

I want to see this again as well. Something I couldn't imagine doing early on in the film. I can see this playing better for me as a whole on a repeat viewing. I really can't believe how much the ending just made the entire thing work so much better.

8/10

Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:28 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

https://youtu.be/0lFvW-PFrCw

God this scene is so fucking great. I need to rewatch this movie, it ended up being my favorite of 2022.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]