Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Plane 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Plane 
now we know

Post Plane

Quote:
Plane is a 2023 American action-thriller film directed by Jean-François Richet, written by Charles Cumming and J. P. Davis, and starring Gerard Butler, Mike Colter, Yoson An, and Tony Goldwyn. It centers around a pilot surviving the aftermath of an emergency landing in hostile territory.

Plane was released in the United States on January 13, 2023.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Plane
This was a fun watch. Butler has this genre movie formula down pat at this point and has learned so well from Neeson's post Taken movie run.

This is the closest we'll get to the modern Arnold / Stallone action movies of the 80s with Jason Statham also in that league. They are formulaic action movies but they are still an enjoyable time.

B+

Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

If there's a new Butler, I see it, and I usually enjoy it. Unfortunately this one is a cheapie action flick. The opening 25 minutes is actually decent. The plane experiencing complications and the crash landing are tense and well-executed. But once it's on the ground the quality level plummets. Butler tries hard but the events unfold unconvincingly, and the whole ordeal is over within one day. The survivors do not even spend a night on this island before being rescued. The mercenaries are flown in with a bag of money which they were seemingly happy to leave behind. There's no explanation why there was a bag of money. Originally I thought that was the mercs' payment for the rescue, but they then leave it on the island and our "convict" takes it. Also no closure for him, which could have made a nice end credits scene. The action and setting here reminded me of 2008's Rambo, but it's made a little cheaper apart from the odd VFX shot.

Last Seen Alive was excellent. This one's a blip. Hopefully Kandahar improves.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Very solid action film, if there's anything that can be counted on in film the last 10 years or so it's Butler delivering. It succeeds both as plane disaster film and gung-ho guns flick, and although it's not quite edge-of-my-seat thrilling, it's good entertainment.

B

Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:38 pm
Devil's Advocate

It feels like it's trying to be serious/gritty with its cinematography, Butler playing it 100% straight, and stuff like the "ultra realistic fight". But I enjoyed it more when it let loose a bit more like in the climax with the main baddie being taken out by the plane charging into him, and overall ridiculousness of needing to fly the plane they crashed away. The plane crash sequence is hurt a bit by the movie not being that expensive. Butler and the Luke Cage guy don't really spend enough time together and the latter is traumatically killing a few too many people in front of him to really feel like buds, though the latter was still a badass I'm happy got away with some money. I guess it's fine overall. B-

Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]