Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 M3GAN 

Grade:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

M3GAN 
now we know

Post M3GAN

Quote:
M3GAN (stylized as MΞGAN and pronounced "Megan") is a 2022 American science fiction horror film directed by Gerard Johnstone from a screenplay by Akela Cooper and a story by Cooper and James Wan. The film stars Allison Williams, Violet McGraw, Ronny Chieng, and Brian Jordan Alvarez. It is produced by Jason Blum and James Wan under their Blumhouse Productions and Atomic Monster Productions banners, respectively, alongside Divide/Conquer.

M3GAN had its world premiere in Los Angeles on December 7, 2022, and was theatrically released in the United States on January 6, 2023, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: M3GAN
Raising my expectations last minute was a mistake lol

This is not bad at all but certainly not the comedic memey film social media has been trying to push it as. If you've seen the trailer... you've pretty much seen the gist of the movie. Some nice emotional scenes but I think it just lacks the oomph that could've made this something really enjoyable

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:26 am
Extraordinary

Being with a crowd definitely adds to the experience.

There were some really funny moments here. It's predictable but also a blast. They should have an R rated version pushing the boundaries a bit more at least for the sequel.

Spoiler: show
I found M3Gan singing Titanium one of the funniest moments of the movie for me. It was so random, eerie, and funny at the same time.

Gave it a B+. It's definitely going to be a cult classic and it's hard not to enjoy it. The supporting actors overdramatic acting also made it enjoyable especially Cady.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was a blast. Hilarious and hugely entertaining, and anchored by strong performances from both Alison Williams and Violet McGraw. Bring on a sequel. B+

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:44 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

This was excellent. Not original, but a great twist on the killer doll genre. Liked the tie ins to real world kids being too addicted to technology. It was very funny and M3gan was honestly intimidating and the final showdown with her is very tense.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:02 pm
The Kramer

I watched the unrated version on Peacock. I liked it alot, though not for the reasons I expected. Sure the campiness is fun, the kills are intense and I definitely cheered when the asshole kid got run over by the car.

Yet the unexpected surprise was the story and how they at least tried to tie it into children's addiction to screens and how parents tend to just let it happen to make their own jobs easier. I'm not sure the movie ever arrived at any conclusion about what to do about this problem, but again I give it big points for trying when this movie could have easily just been a ripoff of Child's Play and still made the same amount of money.

7.5/10

Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Agreed. It did try to be more than just a killer doll type film and it ends up working on a number of fronts because of this.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:43 am
now we know

It's a satisfactory sci-fi thriller, but I also couldn't shake a feeling re: believability. The escalations that happen do not feel real within the realms of the world created or a future world where this might occur. I also noticed the underlying feminism throughout. No man comes to the rescue here, and that's by design. I couldn't understand why nobody could knock M3GAN over or restrain her. It's weird. A kid can pick her up and carry her but a grown adult cannot overpower the damn thing? And M3GAN has the strength of a Terminator when the story requires it. The lack of "gore" kind of irked me too. I guess the film just tries too much. It's a killer doll movie but simultaneously a commentary on companionship and tech reliance and childhood addiction and also with a subconscious feminist mission. It forgets to be scary or excel in any one aspect.

But it's not a bad attempt. Don't get me wrong, it's a novel and fun tech horror. I didn't not enjoy myself. I just expected something better from all the praise it got and tickets it sold. The best part is the missing dog and its owner, but these plotlines are immediately forgotten. And it has more or less backed itself into a corner for any sequel, because Gemma will most likely be convicted of the murders M3GAN committed and the project will be shutdown and never revisited. But then that's in the real world and not whatever bogus world this film lives in.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

They got a good kid performance here, Cady and M3gan have believable chemistry and they did a good job making her addicted and overly attached. I do think M3gan turns into a Chucky like pure psycho a bit quick, the murder of the dog owner is mostly cold blooded and quite a leap from just trying to follow her orders and protect Cady like before. Ronny Chieng as the douchey boss understands the assignment. Alison Williams was a little miscast a dork, though cast well as emotionally unavailable. I think it was fine overall.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]