Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I Wanna Dance with Somebody 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

I Wanna Dance with Somebody 
now we know

Post I Wanna Dance with Somebody

Quote:
I Wanna Dance with Somebody is a biographical musical film based on the life of American pop singer Whitney Houston. It is directed by Kasi Lemmons, written by Anthony McCarten, with music executive Clive Davis, who helped discover Houston, serving as one of the film's producers. Naomi Ackie stars as Houston, with Stanley Tucci, Ashton Sanders, Tamara Tunie, Nafessa Williams, and Clarke Peters in supporting roles.

I Wanna Dance with Somebody was theatrically released in the United States on December 23, 2022 by Sony Pictures Releasing.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: I Wanna Dance with Somebody
Naomi Ackie gives a great performance but the movie is... fine. Watchable, very by the numbers for a biopic.

Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:18 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was very lame and overlong. Naomi Ackie gives it her all, I thought she was impressive in the more dramatic scenes (which to be honest feel like they're in a different movie), but the film is too all over the place and beholden to the Wikipedia entry to give her any room to shine. It becomes exhausting by the end, and of the supporting cast only Stanley Tucci feels like a real person in terms of energy and performance. C-

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:46 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Just finished watching Dance. I think where Bohemian and Elvis succeeded where this didn't, despite all sad ending circumstances, there was a sense of achievement by the end of the movie and you could still leave celebrating how remarkable their journeys. Whitney achieved so much but they glazed over big portions of that with uneven character development.

With Whitney, I was surprised how much The Bodyguard period was glazed over. There were smaller songs that got about as much coverage in the movie as I Will Always Love You. I think a more captivating movie could have been made by really expanding that period of her superstardom, the excess it pushed on her and international success. Yes the AMAs were a big moment for her but EVERYONE knows The Bodyguard really was the biggest high point of her career.

Last third also drags out so could have been 30 minutes shorter.

Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:26 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

E true Hollywood story would have done a better job than this. Might actually be worst singer bio movie of all time. At least the last 30 years. It’s not that it’s bad, but it feels like it’s been CIA whited out dossier

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]